I migrated to cloud account but now cannot open my vault on 1password for IOS

Options
mwhaley
mwhaley
Community Member

I migrated my account to a cloud account. When I created the account I stored the master password for my cloud account in 1Password. When using my iPhone tonight the Faceid didn't recognize my face three times and now it's prompting me for my password. I enter the password I used for my on phone vault but it will not take it. I know I'm using the correct password. Help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot access iOS 1Password after cloud migration

Comments

• mwhaley
    mwhaley
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way I can force the app to prompt me for faceid again?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mwhaley! Welcome to the forum!

I enter the password I used for my on phone vault but it will not take it.

A 1Password account can use a different Master Password from the one you used to unlock the app. Depending on how your app is configured, you should use the password for your cloud account, the one you have just created. Is that the password you are trying to use?

Is there a way I can force the app to prompt me for faceid again?

Yes, this will happen automatically as soon as you have entered the correct Master Password. You cannot enable it again for security reasons until you do this, since FaceID failed for three times in a row for you.

• mwhaley
    mwhaley
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I think I have messed up. I had my new master password (cloud account) stored in 1Password thinking I'd be able to continue to use my old one. Once the migration was complete 1password asked me if I wanted to delete my local vault and I said ok. So now my original password will no longer work and I don't have my new master password accessible either. :blush:

• mwhaley
    mwhaley
    Community Member
    Options

I did share my cloud with another family member but didn't realize I had to make her an admin to be able to reset my account so in her account, it is not showing me as an identity that she's able to see or help recover. Again :blush:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mwhaley:

Let's see if we can work around this: do you by chance have another device where you use 1Password, and that you are able to unlock? I am wondering if you stored your 1Password account's Master Password in your local vault, and that this vault might be perhaps synced to another device of yours, so we could retrieve it from there.

• mwhaley
    mwhaley
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I don't use it on any other devices. I may have it installed on my iMac but haven't sync'd or updated since I created the family account.

• Ben
    Options

@mwhaley

Are you able to log in at https://my.1password.com/ ?
    Were you syncing your data with iCloud or Dropbox before migrating to 1Password membership?

Please let us know.

Ben

• mwhaley
    mwhaley
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not able to log in at https://my.1password.com/ but I was syncing my data to iCloud.

Morgan

• mwhaley
    mwhaley
    Community Member
    Options

I can log into https://my.1password.com/ as my wife's account (she was added to family account). Just not able to log in with my family account credentials.

Morgan

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha. Thanks @mwhaley. In that case I think the best you could do at this point, short of remembering the Master Password for your account, would be to sign up for a new membership and re-do the migration. You'd uninstall & reinstall 1Password on your iPhone, clearing everything 1Password related from it, then from the welcome screen you'd select the option to sync with iCloud. Sync all of your pre-migration data back onto the device. Once that is done you'd sign up for a new 1Password Families membership:

https://start.1password.com/sign-up/plan

I'd recommend doing this in a web browser on a computer that has a printer available. That will allow you to print your Emergency Kit as part of the sign up process, and you can write your Master Password on that document. Once you've created the new membership invite your wife to join, and have her copy all of her data from the old account to the new:

Move and copy items | 1Password

I'd recommend promoting her to a Family Organizer to help avoid this type of situation in the future. After she is set you can sign into your account in the new membership on the iPhone and that should cause the migration to run again, copying all of your data from iCloud to the new membership account and then removing the iCloud-based vault from 1Password for iOS.

The last step would be to delete the original membership: FAQ: I'm locked out of my account (membership) / need to start over

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• mwhaley
    mwhaley
    Community Member
    Options

Dude, you're a life saver. The restore from iCloud worked perfectly and now I have all of my passwords back - including the one for my family account. :)

I promise I'll be a good boy and print out my emergency Kit including the master password. ;)

Seriously - THANK YOU!

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. I'm so glad to hear that worked out. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.