Converting my family from Dropbox sync to 1Password family.

Options
DerekMoyes
DerekMoyes
Community Member

Howdy,

I'm converting my family from Dropbox sync to 1Password Family.

I have my items all moved over to my family's shared vault, but when I try to delete my old vault, it wants to set my new master password to the first vault that I have installed, which is a shared team.

I have:

• Team: RackerGamers (1Password Sync)
  • Family (1Password Sync)
  • On My Mac: Primary (Dropbox Sync)

I don't want to set my main password to the team, I want to set it to the one that's for my family. How can I set the family "team" to be the primary one, before I remove my Dropbox sync vault. How can I do this?

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1Password/Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:when deleting vault it asks for master password, but it's for the team I'm subscribed to, not my family.

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hi @DerekMoyes

Sorry to hear about the difficulty. I'd be happy to help. The short answer is:

1. 1Password > Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data
    2. Sign in to the 1Password Families account
    3. Sign in to the 1Password Teams/Business account

This will nuke the Primary vault and make it such that the 1Password Families account Master Password is the one that you'll use to unlock the app. The slightly longer answer / explanation is that the way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added. So, if you have a standalone vault ("Primary") and an account... changing the Master Password for your account will not change the Master Password that you have to use to unlock the apps.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• DerekMoyes
    DerekMoyes
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the breakdown, that's kind of what I had assumed, but wasn't sure about the best way to go about fixing it.

It worked perfectly.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @DerekMoyes! I am happy to hear this :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.