Bug - Note edits lost on iPhone when aborting a swipe in from the left

Options
TrustyCamel
TrustyCamel
Community Member

I hope this is the right place to talk about bugs!

When editing a notes field, e.g. in a Secure Note, it's possible to lose edits when aborting a swipe in from the left hand side of the screen. When you've been typing for a while and lose it, this is maddening. It's particularly annoying because it's not all that hard to accidentally start a mini swipe while holding the phone.

Here's the simplest repro I've managed to find:

1. Create a Secure Note, add some text to the notes, e.g. "Testing 123", and save it as normal.
  2. Press Edit in the top right.
  3. Tap on the notes field (containing "Testing 123") to edit it.
  4. Make an edit to the text - e.g. add a 4 to the end to get "Testing 1234".
  5. While still on the fullscreen edit (before pressing <Back), swipe in from the left edge of the screen where the white text box is (not keyboard or top bar) to some mid point, then swipe back to abort it, all without lifting your finger off the screen. The swipe temporarily reveals the underlying Secure Note as you do this.
  6. Make another edit to the text (still being on the fullscreen edit page because the swipe was aborted) - e.g. add a 5 to the end to get "Testing 12345".
  7. Press the <Back button.
  8. Notice the second edit is lost and the notes field only contains "Testing 1234".

If you do several half swipes, you can see that after the first one, the notes field is actually no longer being edited. It's lost its "Tap to edit" blue text. Except for one caveat: if you don't change the text before the first aborted swipe, the next change you make will be saved. All subsequent swipe/change combos will also be lost.

I believe this bug has been around for a good year or two at least. It's just taken me a while to figure out what's going on.

Please fix it!

Having realised this is what's happening, I'm now super careful with my edits, but of course, I'd much rather this bug wasn't there to catch me (or others) out. Aside from conflict resolution problems on multi-device editing (much better now I'm no longer using Dropbox syncing), this is the only significant bug I've noticed in 1Password. I do love it in general! Hopefully it's a quick one to fix and test too.

Thanks a lot,
Miles

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.3.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @TrustyCamel

My apologies for the delayed reply. I'm going to file an issue on this for QA to take a look at. Thank you for the detailed steps to reproduce the issue. :)

Ben

ref: apple-3882

This discussion has been closed.