Feature Request: Filter and Authorised Devices

Options
Zaka7
Zaka7
Community Member

Hi there,

First off. Thank you! 1Password is the best app i’ve used! I researched for weeks and finally took the plunge with the 30 day trial. A few days later I was sorting a Families subscription!

Now onto my post:
First item is I love how you can select a vault to display in all your apps. But could you select multiple vaults? My reason is I have a single vault marked as safe for travel. But it contains duplicate items. So when ‘All Vaults’ is selected I see the duplicates. I’d love to be able to have say 5 vaults on the view and the single ‘Holiday Vault’ hidden? Until i needed to show that vault and turn on travel mode?

Second feature is at present ‘unless i’m missing something’ you can only view and amend your authorised devices on the 1password site. Is there the ability to do this in app?

Thanks again for creating 1Password. My digital life has never been easier to manage!

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Zaka_7! Wow, thanks for the kind words; a lot of people work really hard here to make exactly that: the best password manager possible...but it's always great to hear someone say they think we've succeeded. :)

With regard to the duplicate items, I'm not sure why you'd need to create duplicate items, and in fact, it's not recommended, as these items are independent of one another and thus don't sync; if you update/change one of them, it will be updated on all devices...but the other, duplicate item will not. That can lead to mismatches between what each item shows, and what's actually correct, which is why it's best to avoid this if you can. In terms of the Travel Mode issue, I think I see what you're getting at, but (and correct me if I'm wrong, here) isn't it the case that you don't mind seeing the stuff in the "Holiday Vault" under normal circumstances? The idea of travel mode is to turn OFF any vaults you might not want to have visible when you cross borders...but you don't need a second copy of any items from the Holiday Vault in other vaults.

...you can only view and amend your authorised devices on the 1password site. Is there the ability to do this in app?

Not currently, and I'm not sure there ever will be. For the immediate future at least, using 1password.com in a browser will be the way to do this. It's potentially possible some time down the road, but we'd need to make sure we're doing it in a cryptographically-(and physically-) secure way, and it's not high on our priority list right now. Thanks for letting us know you'd be interested in it, however! We don't always pursue whatever gets the most user requests, as there are other factors to consider. But we're grateful for everyone who takes the time to share their wishes, perspective and use-case with us. So, thanks! :)

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, @Zaka_7

I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you asked, but I believe that you can go to Settings > Vaults and from there choose which vaults would be included in All Vaults, so when you search in all vaults, those duplicated items don't show up.

In regards authorizing or deauthorizing devices, you're right, you can't do it through the iOS or Android apps (and I think, you also can't from the Windows and Mac ones).

I'd recommend to wait for a response from a 1Password team member, just to confirm this info :chuffed: Have a great Thursday!

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both @Lars @arturoaubry

Upon review it actually doesn't really make sense for me to duplicate as I am happy to see them in the All Vaults, I guess I was skeptical about having a multitude of varying vaults, but it actually works! I've just set up a work vault which I share with a families guest account so I can safely use 1 Password at work without potentially exposing my personal stuff. It just gets better and better!

Regarding the authorised devices, I guess it's just something to hope for, I just think it would add more convenience but appreciate it isn't as simple as just adding the feature. It would also be good to be able to approve and deny requests for quest accounts via the app, but again not essential, All in all I love it, and am excited to see what new features you do add over time.

Have a great day.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

@Zaka_7

I've just set up a work vault which I share with a families guest account so I can safely use 1 Password at work without potentially exposing my personal stuff.

This is a brilliant idea, and one we recommend from time to time when people come to us looking for a solution to the work/home issue. Guest accounts are a great way to square that circle. :)

There are likely some expanded features available currently only in the web app that will be making their way to 1Password for Mac (and 1Password for Windows), but as you suspected, those need to be done very carefully. Stay tuned -- and thanks again for the kind words! :)

This discussion has been closed.