Logining in to each browser on vers 7

wackovail
wackovail
Community Member

Hi,
I use multiple browsers and instances/logins of Chrome. I have to login to each one as opposed to logging in once for my whole Mac.
Why is this?
Thanks

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: 7.3 (70300020)
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Vault
Referrer: forum-search:login multiple times

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wackovail! Welcome to the forum!

If you use multiple browsers, and your 1Password for Mac app is unlocked, you should be able to use the browser extension in all your browsers without unlocking them separately (at least, that's what happens on my Mac).

I am not sure about the multiple instances of Chrome however. How are you creating these multiple instances? If you could let me know what process you follow, I can make sure to test this on my Mac and see if I get the same results as you are.

Thank you!

• wackovail
    wackovail
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

You can have multiple "people" in Chrome. click the top right Profile icon, scroll to the bottom and click "Manage People"

[image removed by 1Password staff because it included personal information-- this is a public forum]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wackovail: thank you. And when this happens, do you have multiple profiles open at the same time, or do you close the previous one when you switch to the new one?

• wackovail
    wackovail
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Multiple profiles open at the same time. The beauty of Chrome :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for clarifying @wackovail :)

I have tried this on my machine, and 1Password only prompts me to unlock it the first time. Once unlocked, I can open several Chrome profiles and the browser extension will be unlocked too (because the main 1Password app is unlocked, that is what controls this).

What 1Password browser extension version are you currently using in Chrome? I see in your original post that you wrote 7.3, which is the 1Password version for the Safari browser, so I wonder if you could also let us know what you are running in Chrome.

• wackovail
    wackovail
    Community Member

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wackovail:

Ah so you are using 1Password X on Chrome, rather than the normal browser extension! Thank you for the confirmation, this explains what you are seeing.

1Password X is a browser extension that does not require the 1Password desktop app. Because of this, it cannot check the unlocked state of the desktop app, and instead will ask you to lock/unlock in each separate browser.

If you want the Chrome extension to behave like the Safari extension, you need to install the regular extension for Chrome too.

• wackovail
    wackovail
    Community Member

"If you want the Chrome extension to behave like the Safari extension, you need to install the regular extension for Chrome too."

You mean 2 1pass extension? or just the regular extension?
    thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wackovail

In your specific use case, just the regular extension will be enough. By "for Chrome too" I meant "installing it in Chrome too, like you installed it for Safari" :)

You can still keep 1Password X installed alongside it, but the behavior you are looking for is provided by the regular extension, so that's the one that you need to have in your browser.

• wackovail
    wackovail
    Community Member

Thanks.

I think you should add all these to the Extension Download pages and FAQ.
    Cheers
    Bryan

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wackovail

Bryan, you are very welcome!

Thank you for your feedback! :) If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to get back to us anytime, we will be happy to help you.

Have a wonderful day!

This discussion has been closed.