Cannot migrate Secure notes from Dashlane to 1Password

panshul007
panshul007
Community Member

Hello,
I exported my Dashlane data into a JSON and imported it into 1Password using the importer on 1Password.com on my Mac using chrome.
I can see all my login data, but the secure notes were missing in this data exported and imported.
I have a several hundred secure notes on Dashlane, so simply copy and paste is not an option.
Please help me import all my secure notes from Dashlane.
Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @panshul007

Are you able to confirm if the Secure Notes were actually exported by Dashlane? If the contents are in JSON they should be somewhat human readable with any text editor / word processor. If you do a search for some of the content of one of your Secure Notes do you see them in your export?

Ben

• panshul007
    panshul007
    Community Member

Hello Ben,
    Thanks for the quick response. The JSON export file from Dashlane does not seem to have my secure notes. I checked on the Dashlane guides... The secure notes can be exported out of Dashlane only as a Dashlane Secure Archive. Would be great if there is way to import my secure notes into 1Password.
    Thanks.

• @panshul007

Thanks for the quick response. The JSON export file from Dashlane does not seem to have my secure notes. I checked on the Dashlane guides...

Unfortunately that confirms my suspicion. As you might imagine we can only import data that is contained within the export.

The secure notes can be exported out of Dashlane only as a Dashlane Secure Archive. Would be great if there is way to import my secure notes into 1Password.

I suspect the "Dashlane Secure Archive" might be encrypted. If you save one and then open it in a text editor are you able to read the contents or are they encrypted?

Ben

• panshul007
    panshul007
    Community Member

Unfortunately yes, the "DashlaneSecureArchive" is an encrypted export of the complete data. So I guess there is no way to import my secure notes from Dashlane to 1Password... :( or you have some magic trick up your sleeve? :chuffed:

• That is a situation that Dashlane would need to address. We can't import encrypted data. We'd need them to include the secure notes in the unencrypted JSON before we'd be able to import them. Sorry I don't have better news. :(

Ben

• panshul007
    panshul007
    Community Member

well... for now because of this I am locked into Dashlane. But for others coming to this thread... I have submitted a feature request to Dashlane for exporting the secure notes as well in a readable format. The developers responded with a positive response. Hopefully they will soon implement this feature and I can make a switch.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@panshul007

...for now because of this I am locked into Dashlane.

I'd hate to see you feel "locked into" any password manager, including ours, just because of something like a feeling of inability to export your data successfully. It's one of the reasons we created a robust export format called 1pif (1Password Interchange Format); because we feel your data is yours, and you should be able to take it where you want, even if that means away from 1Password. That's also why every password manager out there lists in their "compatibility" or "import" section how easily they can import data from 1Password -- because we made it easy to export and the "specs" for 1pif are readily available to all. I just wish all developers of such a critical product as a password manager took their export duties as seriously as their import capabilities.

One thing I'd mention - though this is by no means a recommendation or set of instructions - is that you can of course "export" this data by a very low-tech (not to mention insecure) method: copy/paste. If you're not averse to simply copying the contents of your notes in Dashlane to the system clipboard, you can paste them into 1Password Secure Notes and then format them to your heart's content with Markdown, or leave them as-is. Again, know what you are risking here: your data would be captured by the system clipboard, however briefly. If you were going to attempt such a thing on your Mac, I'd make sure to disable any clipboard-history managers temporarily, and perhaps even make sure you're not connected to the internet if you're exceptionally concerned. But you could do this without having to wait for another product's developers to hopefully, maybe, implement what you'd need to make it work.

• panshul007
    panshul007
    Community Member

Hey Lars,
    Thank you for the message. I agree that exporting my data out of a tool should be as easy as it is to import my data into the tool. I considered the insecure method of copy pasting my notes into 1Password from Dashlane, but there are a few hundred notes which I will need to copy paste, which is not a very viable solution. Will need quite some time and patience for it ;)

• Understood. It certainly isn't the ideal solution, but it is seemingly the only available option when the tool you're using doesn't allow for unencrypted export. Hopefully that is something that Dashlane will address in the future. We believe strongly that folks shouldn't be locked into a tool, which as Lars mentioned is why we offer comparatively robust export capabilities.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.