i have 1PW 7.3 on a MacBookPro with OS 10.14.5/High Sierra. i have an iCloud account. [1Tb storage]

Options
dsoderdahl
dsoderdahl
Community Member
  1. Where is the data stored? I would like to back it up to an external HD for 'safety.'
  2. How do I sync my data to my iPhone and my iPad?

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: OS 10.14.5/high sierra
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:where is 1Password database stored?

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, @dsoderdahl.

I'm not a 1Pass team member, but I think that you could check out how iCloud sync works. If you're already syncing through iCloud, then there's no need to back it up to an external HD as iCloud itself is the backup of your 1Pass data.

And to sync your data to your iPhone/iPad, in that same link I share above, you can check how to do it step-by-step, and of course, if you have any doubts, you can follow up here with any 1Pass team member.

Have a great weekend!

• dsoderdahl
    dsoderdahl
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, arturoaubry! Regrettably, v7.3 of 1PW does not have an iCloud sync option. I did learn about iCloud, though!
    You, too, have a terrific weekend!

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member
    Options

Really? That's weird!

If you go to 1Password > Preferences > and click the Sync option, iCloud isn't listed as an option?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dsoderdahl! Welcome to the forum!

If you do not see the iCloud sync option, it could mean that you are syncing your data through a 1Password Membership account. Because sync is automatic with a 1Password account, the app will not show you other sync options by default to avoid confusion and potential duplicates ;)

If you open 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab, do you have an account listed there? If you do, then your data is stored inside your 1Password account and all you need to do is to add the same 1Password account on both your Mac and iPad to keep them in sync :)

• dsoderdahl
    dsoderdahl
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, ag_ana! Appreciated and helpful. I have an account with 1PW listed under the Accounts tab. I checked my iPhone and iPad, and see that the same 1PW account is active on them. So, are you saying that there is NO need to back up data to an external HD just for 'safety?'
    Also, I still have am having issues with NOT being able to install the 1PW extension into my Safari browser. Any tips? I have sent the Troubleshooting data to 1PW support.
    Again, thank you and have a terrific week!

• dsoderdahl
    dsoderdahl
    Community Member
    Options

auturoaubry: See the above from ag_ana ... "If you do not see the iCloud sync option, it could mean that you are syncing your data through a 1Password Membership account. Because sync is automatic with a 1Password account, the app will not show you other sync options by default to avoid confusion and potential duplicates." Hope this helps to clarify for you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

@dsoderdahl - in version 7.2 of 1Password for Mac and higher, we switched to Apple's new format for Safari extensions, called Safari App Extensions. Long story short, the new Safari App Extension is now part of the main app; there is nothing external or additional to install as there was in previous versions.

You've confused me a bit here because you listed your version of macOS as "10.14.5 High Sierra" - this isn't correct. 10.14.x is code-named "Mojave," while "High Sierra" was 10.13.x. The reason this is important is because Safari 12 is the version where Apple switched to the newer Safari App Extensions, and while Mojave (10.14.x) ships with Safari 12 as the default, if you really are still using High Sierra (10.13.x), then you might still be using Safari 11, which does NOT have this newer extension version. Can you clarify? Click the Apple menu at the very top left of your screen, and choose "About this Mac." Let me know what you see there. Also, open Safari and choose Safari > About Safari and let me know the specific version of Safari you're running also. Thanks! :)

• dsoderdahl
    dsoderdahl
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Lars. You are correct. I am using a MacBook Pro running macOS 10.14.5/Mojave. Safari version is 12.1.1.
    I do hope that you can help me. On 6.21 I sent a Troubleshooting .zip file to 1PW support. [support@1password.com]
    I look forward to your SOON reply!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @dsoderdahl. I see JD has received your diagnostic report and is going through it. To avoid duplicating efforts between here and email let's continue the conversation via email. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.