Help accessing Passwords

sheryl
sheryl
Community Member

We need to access items locked in a 1Password Vault on my Dad's computer. How can I get access to the passwords?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:My Father passed away. We need to access items locked on his computer. Please help.

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @sheryl.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear your dad passed away. How are you doing?

In regards the 1Password items in your dad's computer, I don't think there's a way to access his vaults unless you know the Master Password [as explained in this thread](https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/60262/preparing-for-the-inevitable-a-specific-vault-for-executors-successor-trustees/"as explained in this thread"), although I'm not a 1Pass team member, so definitely wait for a response from them.

Is it possible that your dad had written down his Master Password somewhere so you could access his login items? Otherwise, I'm afraid it won't be possible as not even 1Password has access to any of the information within any of your dad's vaults.

I hope you find some peace today. Have a nice day.

• sheryl
    sheryl
    Community Member

arturoaubry, Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. Losing my Dad has been very difficult as you can imagine. Thank you for taking the time to research this for me. I guess we will find a way to work around it. I tried the little hint on the vault in case you forget your password, but I don't know the answer....
    Lesson learned...be sure to leave your passwords with a trusted person or in a safe deposit box, or something similar.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sheryl, and welcome to the forum!

I am sorry for your loss. As arturoaubry wrote, for security reasons there is no way to unlock 1Password without knowing the Master Password. If the hint that appears doesn't help, your best best is to check if your father saved this password somewhere.

This discussion has been closed.