1Password often doesn't offer me the chance to update my previous login, when I change a password

Options
Nekoninda
Nekoninda
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Mac

I just updated the password to one of my Google logins. When I got to the Google change password page, I clicked on the New Password button in 1Password. The only action that I noticed from 1Password was that it generated a new item in the sidebar. It looked kind of like a new login for Google. 1Password didn't place the new password in any of the fields in Google change password page. It did put the new password in my clipboard. I pasted it into the proper field in the Google page, and pasted it a second time, to confirm for Google that I wanted to change my password to this new version. I submitted the change to Google, and it confirmed the changed password.

At no time did 1Password offer to update my current 1Password login for this Google account. I had to do that by manually searching this login in 1Password, going through the five-step 'reveal' sequence to verify that 1Password hadn't updated my login for this site, edit the login, paste in the new password, and save the changes. When I finished this, I noticed that 1Password showed my password as 'Good'. I expected a better rating than that. So I again did the password reveal steps, and I see that 1Password STILL contains my old password for this page. I tried the whole sequence again, and got the same result. It appears that 1Password won't accept pasting in a password in edit mode, using Command-V. Or maybe there is some other problem. In any case, it looks like I will have to type in the 16-digit random password manually, with all of the typing errors that may result.

I've noticed that 1Password offers me the 'update current' login option less often than it did in the past. Much more frequently, I have to do manual edits in 1Password, like described above. I read in another thread that the 1Password staff were very worried about new passwords getting lost. They made changes to ensure that passwords never get lost in the password generation procedures. I seem to have lost this password at two different stages, in what used to be a simple and reliable process. The 'update current' option didn't appear, and the explicit edit, paste, and save of the new password in 1Password failed, without giving any hint that it failed.

As I was going through this process for the third or fourth time, of manually trying to edit and update my password for this site within 1Password Mini, I clicked a wrong button in 1Password. I was at the step of trying to reveal whether my attempts to update my password for this site had been saved by 1Password, but I generated a new password by mistake in the 1Password Mini window. That, too, was copied to my clipboard. So the first new password that 1Password generated for me, and that I pasted into Google, so that it is now my new Google password, has been lost. It is now not accessible within 1Password, so far as I know. It is not the top item in my clipboard, that I get when I paste. Nor can I get it from the Google page. If I didn't use a clipboard manager, which gives me access to my clipboard history, I would be locked out of my Google account.

Since I do have the clipboard manager, this was not a total disaster. But I found one more time, that I couldn't paste my new Google password into the 1Password edit password field. As previously, it appeared to work, and let me save, but when I revealed the password in 1Password, the wrong password was there. I eventually found a strange work-around. I pasted the correct new password for my Google account into a blank email message. I then entered the edit mode for 1Password, yet again. Next, I copied the new password from the email message, where I had recently pasted it, and immediately pasted it into 1Password. I saved the edit. As before, it gave no indication of success or failure. But this time, when I checked the result, 1Password finally remembered my new password. So, it appears that 1Password edit password will accept an immediate copy and paste, but won't accept a paste if anything else has been done in the meantime, even if the password is still in/on the clipboard. Or maybe there is some other explanation.

I wonder if this is normal behavior for version 7.3, in order to 'make sure passwords are never lost'. For me, it is a frustrating failure of 1Password to help me make a commonly-needed password update.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any password that 1Password generates will be saved inside the Password category in the app. Can you please check there and see if you have one or more entries for google.com there?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

What are the exact steps you took? We can test and try to reproduce it that way. Otherwise I can sit here all day clicking "+ New Password" and "Save & Copy", and I just end up with a ton (more) Password items for google.com :)

This discussion has been closed.