"Additional Fields" Formatting Issues

DevonL
DevonL
Community Member

Hello! This is a question about how to do something, but if it's not possible (I can't figure out how to do it), then this becomes a feature request. Attached is my 1Password entry for my gmail account, just with the top part cut out. I am pretty good with computer security (imagine that, as I have a password manager!). I have eight so-called "backup codes" from Google to recover my gmail account should I be unable to login under normal circumstances. What you see are dummy numbers, but the actual codes are just eight digit numerical codes. I want these codes listed in this entry of my gmail account, but I can't format it correctly. Everything requires a "label" and a "field". This would work great for security questions, as I have done with other accounts, with the question as the label and answer as the copyable field, but these eight backup codes from google are weighted equally. All I want to do is list all eight of them. But, if I leave the "label" blank, it just says "label" when I save the entry, which looks ugly. If I leave the "field" blank, i.e. just fill in eight "labels" with codes, nothing shows up when it is saved. I tried alternating, filling in four fields and four labels, but the text isn't the same size and it's driving me crazy. I even tried a humble "space" in the "label" field, but then the entries of the codes are so far apart it looks hideous. (I'm a perfectionist.) I know that was rather wordy, but hopefully you can catch my desire of finding a way to just list multiple things per label, or just make the hierarchy from "section" to "label" to "field" more flexible. Any support you can provide on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3 (70300019) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not sure, probably iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Additional Fields Formatting Issues

Comments

• DevonL
    DevonL
    Community Member

I thought I attached eight screenshots to that post, but they don't seem to be showing up, so here they are again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @DevonL! Thanks for the detailed explanation of your wishes and screenshots. You're correct, every "text" field will have a label and a field value, for exactly the reason you used the security question example for: a value without explanation could be problematic; you put something in, thinking "surely, I'll remember that." Then in five months, you open this item for the first time since you created it, and think "now what the heck is THIS?" It's a way to identify what the data in the field value IS, as well as to keep it separate from similar other field values. I don't see that changing anytime soon, for that reason.

However, there are a few ways you can accomplish what I think you're looking for. The first -- since you're using plaintext anyway here (as opposed to a password field) would be to just put your entire list of codes in the Notes field - that way, you can call it whatever you wish "Backup Codes," etc, followed by a straight-up list or even one you format with Markdown, if you like -- something like this:

Another way to do it would be to simply label each item with a number, which would give you something that looks like this:

I'm sure there are probably even more creative/unique ways to accomplish what I think you're after, so use your imagination if the above don't quite suit for whatever reason. Hope this helps! :)

• DevonL
    DevonL
    Community Member

Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to use the "note" feature. It feels like a secret code to use asterisks and number signs to make the text format differently. evil laugh

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DevonL - great! Glad to hear I was able to offer some useful suggestions. :)

This discussion has been closed.