Is 1Password6 still supported?

Options
aleph2012
aleph2012
Community Member

I tried installing the extension, and it looks like it's automatically installing an extension for 1Password7 rather than 1Password6. When I try using it, it doesn't allow me to edit the entries, because I don't have 1Password7. Let me know if you are no longer supporting 1Password6. In that case I will switch to LastPass. If you are still supporting it, please point me to where I can get the correct extension.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• aleph2012
    aleph2012
    Community Member
    Options

Chrome Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• Ben
    Options

Hi @aleph2012

1Password 6 is retired and is no longer being developed, but it is something we're still supporting from a customer service perspective. Could you please check if it is 1Password X that you are installing? That is the membership-only version. The Chrome extension you'll want for use with 1Password 6 for Mac is this one:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

1Password 6 and 1Password 7 use the same extension.

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• aleph2012
    aleph2012
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Ben,

It seems the problem was that I had downloaded 1Password7 at some time in the past. It was running a background helper task on OSX that I assume was intercepting the browser calls, and since I didn't have an account (1Password7 forces you to have a paid account, which is exactly why I refuse to upgrade to it) the in-browser entries were coming up as readonly. I killed the background task, removed 1Password7, and restarted 1Password6 desktop app. Now the Chrome plugin works as expected. I have been using 1Password since 2014. I have it configured to sync using iCloud. It works flawlessly. I am puzzled as to why agilebits thinks it's reasonable to ask people to buy a paid account for 1Password7 when the current setup is perfectly adequate?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2019
    Options

Now the Chrome plugin works as expected.

Great. :)

I am puzzled as to why agilebits thinks it's reasonable to ask people to buy a paid account for 1Password7 when the current setup is perfectly adequate?

You're certainly welcome to continue to use what you purchased for as long as it works for you. We're not going to take it away from you. ;) But as you continue to upgrade other software around 1Password (such as your operating system, web browser, etc) that is likely to become less and less feasible. 1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

For the vast majority of people a 1Password membership is going to be the best way forward. Membership is a custom tailored solution that was born to solve many of the problems that are inherent in the way standalone licensing works, including addressing the situation of upgrades not being included. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser.

A "pay-once, get upgrades forever" model is not a normal in the software business and in our estimation isn't a viable business model. We updated 1Password 6 for years as part of a one-time license fee, but it is now retired and won't be updated further. If you'd like further development support that would require either a 1Password 7 for Mac license, or a membership (though with a license you'll be back in this same position when 1Password 7 is retired). Ultimately it is of course up to you to determine what value 1Password provides to you and make a choice as to how to proceed based on that valuation. I hope you'll continue with us into the future with 1Password, but if not I wish you the best of luck and hope you're able to find a password management solution you're comfortable with and confident in.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• aleph2012
    aleph2012
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, OK, I didn't realize 1Password7 still had an option to buy a license rather than a renewable membership. For me, it seemed like the membership was a "hand-holding" option provided for non technical users. If you look at it as a way to always get upgrades to the latest version then I suppose it seems more reasonable.

• Ben
    Options

Oh, OK, I didn't realize 1Password7 still had an option to buy a license rather than a renewable membership.

Yep. We don't advertise it, but it is right there on the welcome screen. There'll be a link that says "Need a license? We have those too" at the bottom.

For me, it seemed like the membership was a "hand-holding" option provided for non technical users.

Membership has all the power and more of licensing. 1Password.com enables some features that were never possible using 3rd party sync, which was one of the primary motivations for us to build it.

If you look at it as a way to always get upgrades to the latest version then I suppose it seems more reasonable.

That is certainly one of the benefits. :)

Ben

• aleph2012
    aleph2012
    Community Member
    Options

I signed up for a 1Password7 account. I also installed 1Password X Chrome plugin. Very, very slick indeed! :) I can see why you were recommending it. Another satisfied customer!!!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks so much for saying so, @aleph2012. I'm glad to hear it worked out. I agree — 1Password X is super slick, and we have more cool stuff coming there soon. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.