IOS 1password fails when it can't find the account

Options
johnkzin
johnkzin
Community Member

So, here's the deal: I have the login/password in my vault.
I'm using some app (which might be directly requesting a login, or it might be a web browser login). I go to enter the login/password, the IOS keyboard comes up, and 1password is in the bar above the keyboard. All good so far.

But, in some cases, for whatever reason, 1password fails to match the app or URL to an account in my vault. That's actually kind of expected. No simple match heuristic is always going to work.

Here's what's unexpected, and a FAILURE on the part of 1password:

It doesn't let me scroll through my vault to say "use this one." (sometimes it seems to let me scroll through, for one kind of failure ... but not on other kinds of failures). Instead, I have to task-switch out of the app I'm in, scroll through the 1password app, and then separately copy/paste the account and password back to the other app via task-switching.

That is completely brain dead. The fact that YOU can't find it, doesn't mean it's not there. Give me the chance to find it and autofill it.

But, you might say, "we are doing it for your safety". No, you're not. I'm intelligent enough to know whether or not this is a good place to auto-fill my auth information into an app. And if I'm not, that's on me. Me shooting myself in the foot is on me. You shooting me in the foot, by keeping me from having a good user experience, is on you. Stop ruining my user experience by mistakenly thinking you're smarter than I am.

So:
If you're "doing it for [my] safety": either stop it, or give me the ability to turn that non-sense off.
If it's an oversight (bug) in the IOS auto-fill widget: please fix it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's intentional that both iOS Password Autofill and 1Password itself only offer to fill login credentials matching the current URL of the website you're visiting or the associated domain of an app you're using. We'll continue to evaluate 1Password's behaviour in this regard as things develop in the future, but we can't change the OSes behaviour regardless so that wouldn't be something we could help with even if we add a way within 1Password for the user to agree to fill somewhere other than the URL(s) your saved in the Login. In the mean time, 1Password has supported multiple URLs in Login items for years already, so you can add some if you find that you want to be able to use a Login somewhere other than the place you originally saved it. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.