New mini is missing features

Options
sashk
sashk
Community Member

I don't like new mini. It's different and taken away features which used to work and were simple to use.

1. Password generation no longer has ability to select number of special symbols to be included in the new password.
  2. Password generation no longer has ability to select number of digits to be included in the new password.
  3. There is a Save & copy button --- what happened to save & copy & fill button, which was title Fill (or autofill)? There are retarded sites, who does not allow to paste passwords and only way to have secure password with 1Password was to use autofill feature.
  4. Password generation does not remember if I expanded additional options.
  5. Did I say it looks worse than previous version found in 1Password pre-7.3? But that is general feel. I didn't like previous generation of autofill either, but got used to it much faster.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 7.3.1
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

@sashk - thanks for the feedback!

Password generation no longer has ability to select number of special symbols to be included in the new password.

Yup, intentionally. There are multiple threads here on the forum regarding why that was done, but the main ones are that fewer and fewer sites require a specific number of symbols, it's usually "at least one," and having that be a checkbox (Symbols or no symbols) increases randomness. it's also possible (just as it has always been) to manually edit a generated password if you need a symbol in a particular location or one of the generated symbols violates a given site's rules. Same basic idea for numerals - though you can now switch the type of generated password to PIN and get ONLY symbols...and adjust the total number:

There is a Save & copy button --- what happened to save & copy & fill button, which was title Fill (or autofill)?

This should be present in 7.3.1 -- version 7.3 did not have the fill option, but it has returned in 7.3.1. If you're on a login page of a given site and your browser is the active (frontmost) application, you should see Save and Fill instead of just Save and Copy. Try it. :)

Password generation does not remember if I expanded additional options.

You mean just doesn't remember if the caret was clicked to expand the drop-down? If so, that's again intentional. If you mean remembers what boxes you had checked for symbols and digits, it should.

• Ben
    Options

We've greatly reduced the symbols that we include in generated passwords in an attempt to make this experience better. We now only include:
    ! @ . - _ *
    Which is a fairly limited set.

As far as I'm aware we don't have any immediate plans to make further changes here but that isn't to say that other improvements wouldn't be planned in the future. That said, we're interested in moving forward, rather than backward. We very likely will not be putting the same 'hacks' that we previously had back in.

Ben

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

I agree with sashk. You dummied down the password generator's capabilities. Lots of sites don't show the details on an acceptable password (or it's out of sync with the actual checking code). I'd like more configurability not less. The horizontal slider was always a bad idea. Up/down vertical arrows to "spin through" the quantity/length is a lot easier to use than sliding something left/right.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your feedback as well @Piggy :)

• JustLogin
    JustLogin
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

Wanted also to point out that new mini password generator became much harder to use. The main reason is it creates a Password by default, and not the Login. This means that when I sign up on a new site I fill email/login, generate a password, and after it's done - I need to open this Password in 1Password and convert it to Login. Converting to Login via 1Password mini is absolutely not straight forward. I need to find an item, then click Edit, then click Cancel (to get rid of the Edit mode) and click "Convert to Login". After that, I can again click Edit to add my email address manually. After that, I can click save and then close button, as the item is pinned on the screen.

Btw, there is a one-click simpler way by clicking "Pin on screen" instead of "Edit" at the start, but I all the time forget doing that as my original intention to add the email (so to edit an item)

As a workaround what I'm doing is when I generate a password I manually copy/paste it and then manually create a Login filling the email - manually. Btw, right now it works only in 1Password X, as in 1Password Desktop I can't just copy new password without saving it. It'll save Password item automatically for me, which is not what I wanted to do as it creates a lot of junk items

The reason I'm not simply filling the password and then waiting for 1Password to propose me to save login/pass pair is that too many sites are somehow not working well with this feature and as a result I'm missing password I just generated (so next time I need to login I must go through "Forgot Password" procedure)

It could be that much simpler if when I generate a new password I could save it as Login and add email later (or right away)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JustLogin! Welcome to the forum!

The reason I'm not simply filling the password and then waiting for 1Password to propose me to save login/pass pair is that too many sites are somehow not working well with this feature

Letting 1Password suggest to save an item would definitely be the best method, so we should ideally try to make that work for you rather than try other workarounds. Can you please let us know what websites this is happening with so we can test them?

and as a result I'm missing password I just generated (so next time I need to login I must go through "Forgot Password" procedure)

Luckily, there is no need to use the forgot password feature even when 1Password doesn't prompt you to update an item ;) Every time you use the password generator feature, that password is stored as a Password item, so you can always retrieve it from there.

• JustLogin
    JustLogin
    Community Member
    Options

Can you please let us know what websites this is happening with so we can test them?

Unfortunately - no. It happens at about 10% of sites (especially it happens to SPA sites, which sounds logical for me

Every time you use the password generator feature, that password is stored as a Password item, so you can always retrieve it from there.

Fortunately that's not true. It saves them only if I click "Save & Copy". But if I do click this button, then in around 90% cases I'll end up with Login item AND Password item stored separately (which is a pain for me)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

@JustLogin

Fortunately that's not true. It saves them only if I click "Save & Copy".

Not sure what you mean. This is true in the narrowest sense (if you click Cancel, the password you generated is not saved). But if you use 1Password mini, and you click + Generate Password, you definitely will be saving a new Password item unless you specifically click Cancel. Even trying to select the password you generated and use ⌘C to copy it via the system clipboard results in the password item being saved in 1Password. So I'm not sure what you mean: if you're generating a password...but you don't click Save and Copy and you don't try using ⌘C to copy it...can I ask: what are you doing? Taking a screenshot of it? I guess I'm not understanding what use generating a password is if you don't save it via the button or copy it via ⌘C (which also saves it).

Wanted also to point out that new mini password generator became much harder to use. The main reason is it creates a Password by default, and not the Login. This means that when I sign up on a new site I fill email/login, generate a password, and after it's done - I need to open this Password in 1Password and convert it to Login. Converting to Login via 1Password mini is absolutely not straight forward. I need to find an item, then click Edit, then click Cancel (to get rid of the Edit mode) and click "Convert to Login". After that, I can again click Edit to add my email address manually. After that, I can click save and then close button, as the item is pinned on the screen.

That would indeed be harder and lengthier to do! Fortunately, it's also unnecessary; when you use the recommended method of saving a login in your browser, what happens is what you see in the following GIF:

1. You enter your chosen username (or email address, depending on the site)
    2. You invoke the mini and click + Generate Password, choose your password length and whether you want symbols and digits
    3. You click "Save and Fill" to fill in the generated password which immediately saves the password as a Password item in 1Password (as indicated by the key icon).
    4. You complete the registration or sign-in and press Enter or click Submit/Login.
    5. 1Password recognizes that you've just submitted a Login form using a password that matches the one you just generated, on the same domain, and it then offers to save the item as a Login for you. If you accept, the Login item is saved, and the generated password item is removed.

You can see this entire process here:

Hope that's helpful! :)

• JustLogin
    JustLogin
    Community Member
    Options

This is true in the narrowest sense (if you click Cancel, the password you generated is not saved).

I can simply click outside of 1Password mini. And that's what I'm doing it I don't want to create this password item

you definitely will be saving a new Password item unless you specifically click Cancel

At this point I was referring to 1Password X interface, sorry for confusion. It has a "Copy" button, which avoids creating Password item but copies password into the clipboard

If you accept, the Login item is saved, and the generated password item is removed.

Never knew this fact. Even though it still sounds for me as duct tape solution. But, same as a duct tape - it works :chuffed:

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JustLogin

I can simply click outside of 1Password mini. And that's what I'm doing it I don't want to create this password item

Yes. This is functionally the same as clicking Cancel, which is what I said. :)

At this point I was referring to 1Password X interface, sorry for confusion. It has a "Copy" button, which avoids creating Password item but copies password into the clipboard.

No worries. 1Password X and the 1Password for Mac mini are very different products, built with different restrictions and different abilities. :)

Never knew this fact. Even though it still sounds for me as duct tape solution. But, same as a duct tape - it works

Glad I was able to help! ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sashk: I believe that, with requirements like that, even in previous versions of the password generator you would have had to possibly edit the item manually after creation?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ag_ana - yup. In fact, the old Strong Password Generator had a significantly greater number of allowed symbols than the current one does, making it even more likely that one of the small number of remaining sites with byzantine password rules like the above (which often are not even disclosed until after you violate them) would require manual editing of a generated password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019
    Options

@sashk - six of one, half a dozen of the other: you'd prefer to keep hitting the "regnerate" button two, three, six times -- however long it took until the generator produced one that passed the site's requirements, others prefer (or find it quicker) to just click into the first password that's generated a single time, and insert the symbol of their choice. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, thanks for the feedback; we'll continue to evaluate the Strong Password Generator moving forward.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sashk

Thanks for looking into this, but if things don't change quick, will be evaluating alternatives.

As long as you're not leaving sticky notes on your monitor with your passwords written on them, we'll be happy. :) No solution will suit every user's needs, and you're not just free to explore your options, you're encouraged to. We want happy users, not ones who feel trapped.

Let me repeat: 1Password password generation is useless to me right now.

I continue to be a bit mystified as to why you think this is true, since you've been show several ways to edit a password in the mini on-the-fly. It's true that we removed the direct "fill" capability in verison 7.3, but this has returned already in version 7.3.1. If you've not yet upgraded to this version, you should be able to get from within 1Password itself.

This is enough for [one star] review.

We don't actually have any kind of "review" system here with stars or hearts or percentages. This is a discussion board where people can get help for issues they're having with 1Password. You've made yours clear repeatedly, and we've heard you -- and appreciate you taking the time to share them with us.

Here's a brief example of how you and your users (and anyone else) can edit passwords to your liking, as needed:

1. Invoke 1Password 7 for Mac's mini via keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ or clicking the icon in your browser's toolbar or Mac's menubar.
    2. Click + Generate Password.
    3. Click the generated password.
    4. Add whatever symbols/letters/digits you wish
    5. When it looks correct to you, click Save and Copy. Your newly-generated, custom-edited password will be on your system clipboard, ready for pasting. (additionally, as I mentioned, if a Login page of your browser is the active application when you do this, 1Password will offer you the option to fill and save as the default, instead of save and copy).

Hope this helps. Ultimately, however, if you continue to feel as if 1Password isn't suitable for your needs, I'm sure you'll be able to find another solution that will suit you better. Stay safe out there! :)

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

@sashk said: This is enough for [one star] review.

@Lars said: We don't actually have any kind of "review" system here with stars or hearts or percentages. This is a discussion board where people can get help for issues they're having with 1Password.

@Lars Why do you - and certain other AgileBits staff who respond to customers here - have to routinely respond so obtusely and disingenuously?

We all know there is no kind of review system right here. But we all also know how keen AgileBits is on receiving positive feedback in, for example, the Apple App Store. After all, should you be unaware (which is clearly not the case), you ask for it every time you publish an update:

Belittling your customers like this ("We don't actually have any kind of 'review' system here with stars or hearts or percentages" ) is no way to earn our respect, trust, loyalty or future revenue streams.

Moving forward, I respectfully suggest that it would serve @dteare and the whole AgileBits family much better if your representatives here could make a concerted effort to be less patronising.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FragileBits

We all know there is no kind of review system right here.

You and sashk and other longer-term users of these forums may know that, but these forums are public, and not every user who visits for the first time, or who finds any given thread via a Google search, is going to know that. Thanks for taking the time to share your concerns, however. :)

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

@Lars "You and sashk and other longer-term users of these forums may know that, but these forums are public, and not every user who visits for the first time, or who finds any given thread via a Google search, is going to know that. Thanks for taking the time to share your concerns, however. :)"

Wow.

If @sashk knows that (which they obviously do, as they referenced "reviews" themselves and as referenced within their subsequent reply) and you were originally replying to them (rather than posting an all user announcement) - and if I know that, as I clearly do - then why did you initially and why are you now still flailing around trying to justify your comment?

I challenged you for being patronising, disingenuous and intentionally obtuse and you responded with just more of - literally - exactly the same. @dteare I hope that you are witnessing this descent by your representatives into further offending your client base.

Is a genuine appreciation of what you are being told and a genuine apology really so far beyond your capabilities? I didn't previously believe it was possible, but I now feel even less inclined towards renewing my family plan subscription.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sashk

You do. It's called App Store reviews and...

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant we do not have such a "star review" system (or any other formal review system) here on these forums. You're quite right that we have other avenues for people to leave traditional "star" ratings; it wasn't my intention to suggest otherwise. But because we have those other outlets to leave such reviews, I don't want to confuse newer users who see a literal five-stars inserted into a post here into thinking this is a feature they just haven't figured out how to enable. That's all. :)

No! I'm on 7.3.1 and on multiple workstations I don't see Save & Fill button. My screenshot is from version 7.3.1!

Right. And what is the front-most app, when you do that? Is it your browser? If so, what page is loaded in the open tab? Is it a login page or other page with a password field? If so, this is what you'll see/be able to do:

If your browser is not the front-most application, and/or you're not on a page with a password field, then you'll see Save & Copy. Hope that helps.

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

@Lars said:

But because we have those other outlets to leave such reviews, I don't want to confuse newer users who see a literal five-stars inserted into a post here into thinking this is a feature they just haven't figured out how to enable.

1) Terribly weak excuse. 2) Appalling try. It was, in fact, an insertion by @sashk, for illustrative purposes (which can hardly have been beyond either you or any other intelligent reader), of a "literal" one star rating. Even more #disingenuous #obtuse #patronising @dteare

• Ben
    Options

Sorry we've made you feel that way @FragileBits.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@sashk

1Password got smarter.

Great!

But somehow I feel that I'm getting dumber.. Un-intuitive changes, which depend on what i'm looking at.

How can we help?

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019
    Options

At least remove blinking cursor from the search field while generating password. Moving blinking cursor to password field, while password being generated, to suggest users that it's editable field.

I'll file a request with development for that to see if that is something they'd consider doing. Thanks!

or did you mean make me less dumber? ;-)

I'm not touching that one. :tongue:

Ben

ref: apple-3942

This discussion has been closed.