Cannot type master password with tilde/accent

Options
justanothernumber
justanothernumber
Community Member

On a Mac with the default US keyboard, you can type alt+n to make the next character have a "~" Ex: (alt + n) + n = ñ. And alt+e produces é, á, ó, etc.

While 1Password allows these characters in the master password, it does not seem to allow the alt + e/n to work in the master password prompt. It makes the "alert sound" and the next character will not have a tilde/accent.

You should either not allow those characters in the master password or fix the master password prompt UI to accept the key combos. I attached a picture of the specific dialog box just to be clear.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi @justanothernumber! Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for reporting this! Entering special characters worked fine on other keyboards, but I managed to reproduce this issue here using the default US keyboard. Therefore, I am going to open an internal issue for our developers so they can take a look at why this is happening.

ref: apple-3930

• justanothernumber
    justanothernumber
    Community Member
    Options

Glad I could help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1:

Issue opened @justanothernumber ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justanothernumber: Just so you don't get your hopes up though, I'm 99% certain that this is because of Secure Input, which we use to protect against other apps seeing your keystrokes in 1Password.

For what it's worth, we always recommend against using non-ASCII characters in your Master Password since you can get into situations on different devices/platforms where you're not able to enter certain characters at all, or you can but they are not encoded the same way -- which can prevent you from accessing your important data. You can get a really long, strong, unique Master Password using just a few words chosen at random: more secure than something you make up yourself, and very easy to remember/type. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just a quick update here, it is Secure Input. Only direct keyboard input will work there, nothing in software (including holding the key to get a list of accented characters to choose from).

This discussion has been closed.