iPhone and Gmail on MacBook Pro not syncing

Options
susanna
susanna
Community Member

I had to reset my password yesterday in Gmail on my MacBook. Then I went to my iPhone 8 and it told me I'd reset my password 3 hours ago. I use the 1Password app on my phone. Shouldn't they have synced automatically? So I reset the password so I could do some work on my phone. Now I'm on my MacBook and it tells me I reset my password yesterday. Devices aren't synced. I'm going to have to reset the password again. We pay for 1Password. I work on multiple devices. This is not ok. What do I do?

(Also, my Chrome extension stopped working weeks ago, but that's something else I need to figure out).

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sync

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @susanna

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. If you log in at https://start.1password.com/ which device matches the items you see there? I.e. If you add a new item on both the MacBook and on the iPhone which device's item appears on start.1password.com?

Ben

• susanna
    susanna
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, thanks for replying. I don't show any devices when I login to that page. It takes me directly to the 1Password Home page. I don't see a device listed anywhere there or under any of the items in the righthand menu under my name. Can you be more specific? I've done nothing new, and I simply need a new password on the Macbook to reflect in the iPhone app and vice versa. This is still not happening.

For your support team, it may be enlightening to know this lack of sync between app and laptop ultimately produced big problems for me because, working from both iPhone and Macbook, I had to request a Google account password reset more than once in 12 hours. As a result, Google, even after successful two-factor authentication, then instructed me to "add a CNAME record to your domain's DNS records." I assume this is because I'm also a Google Admin. That would require access to our GoDaddy account, which I do not have. I had to track down another person in our remote org who had Google Admin privileges to generate a new password for me. Without that ability I would have lost most of a day of work trying to contact Google--a challenge because their support at the business level requires, you guessed it, that I login to my Google Admin account.

How do I get 1Password to sync so when I reset a password on one, it is saved and available for use on the other?

• Ben
    Options

Sorry I wasn't clear @susanna. I'm trying to determine which device (if either) is syncing with 1Password.com, and which is not. If you add a new item on both the MacBook and on the iPhone then check start.1password.com does the item you added on the iPhone appear there? Does the one from the MacBook?

Ben

• susanna
    susanna
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, when I login to start.1password.com it just takes me to the 1Password Home page. I think you're asking me to add a test account on one device and then check the other one to see if it is there, and then do the same in reverse? I can tell you exactly what I did yesterday because it probably answers your question--it seems the sync doesn't work in either direction:

• MacBook: I created a new Google password and used the complex one recommended by 1Password;
    • iPhone 8: I went to check my Gmail and was unable to login to the account. I tried to use the 1Password app to fill in the password, and it was incorrect. So it seems the app never synced with my MacBook re the new password. Then, from my phone, because I very much needed to check my email, I generated a password reset and made sure it was in the 1Password app;
    • MacBook: I started my workday today and my login failed. I had to generate a second password reset. Apparently this made Google suspicious and I was completely locked out even after two-factor authentication, and had to contact someone else in my org (fortunately I'm not our only Google Admin) to generate a reset.

I cannot find instructions for troubleshooting the sync process, so your help is appreciated.

• Ben
    Options

@susanna

You should be able to log in to your 1Password membership account at https://start.1password.com :

Are you able to do that? If so, you should get a screen that looks like this:

Click on All Vaults and check if items added from the MacBook are there and/or items added from the iPhone are there. Create a new Secure Note on each to test if necessary.

If you aren't able to do that... let's approach this from a different direction. I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/514012/#Comment_514012
    • Your forum username: susanna

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Please let me know what you find.

Ben

• susanna
    susanna
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, yes when I login I get to the Home page, as shown in your screenshot. I created three Secure Notes (ie from the desktop app, the web site and the iPhone app). I can see all three Secure Notes in all three places, so no apparent issue with Notes. Different issue for something requiring a password? I'm proceeding now with your other instructions in case that helps you. Please let me know what you learn, thanks.

• susanna
    susanna
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Tested Secure note in all three places, and all are visible in all three places, no problem there. Could it be specific to passwords? Have I just been imagining that I know how to use 1Password when it turns out I really just don't have a clue what I'm doing?

Both diagnostic reports sent. Here is the Support ID: [#PJA-98476-642]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thank you for sending the diagnostic report @susanna! We have received it, and I see that my colleague Laura already replied to you over there :)

ref: PJA-98476-642

This discussion has been closed.