Categories and Tags do not remember folded/unfolded state in main window

billj
billj
Community Member

In the shipping versions of Mac 7.3 and 7.3.1, Categories and Tags do not remember their folded/unfolded state in the main window.

In my case, 7.3 was an in-app update to the previous version (7.2.x), and 7.3.1 was an in-app update to 7.3.

I found a similar report from May 2018 in Topic > Mac Beta.

The URL for the May 2018 beta report:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90063/categories-does-not-remember-folded-unfolded-state-in-main-window

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 Chrome
OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @billj!

I could not reproduce this here (I am running 1Password 7.3.1). Are you able to consistently reproduce this?

If you can, can you please share the steps so I can test it here too?

Thank you!

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

Hi @ag_ana

Sorry. I should have mentioned that the behavior occurs often, but not consistently. In fact, I haven't reported it till now because I wanted to be sure I wasn't imagining things.. But especially after seeing it after updating to 7.3.1, I'm confident it's happening on its own. Just not consistently.

Actually, for me, the problem is that 1Password 7.3/7.3.1 does not always remember the unfolded state. I like to leave Categories unfolded. It's a habit. A very few times, while working with Tags, I've folded Categories to make the sidebar is "shorter." But I do that rarely, and I think it's accurate to say that most if not every time, I unfold Categories when I'm done. So when I launch 1Password, I expect to see Categories unfolded. And when they sometimes came up folded when launching 7.3, I was puzzled.

Sometimes, but not consistently, I leave Tags unfolded. I think the issue is affecting Tags, too. But I'm not as certain about Tags as I am about Categories.

I can't say whether the issue causes folded Categories and Tags to unfold. If I launch 1Password and Categories are folded, I unfold them. So Categories are rarely, if ever, in a folded state when I quit.

One more thing: most times, I lock 1Password (control-option-command-L) before quitting. And to unlock it, I need to type my master password, since I don't have a Mac with TouchID.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@billj - you're not imagining things, this is an issue we're already tracking internally. I don't have anything to announce at this time, progress-wise, but the development team are aware of it and working on a fix. Thanks for reporting! :)

ref: apple-3762

• billj
    billj
    Community Member

@Lars You're welcome. Good to know I'm not imagining this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• jipnet
    jipnet
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

I reported this problem in an earlier version over a year ago (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/95105/1password-not-showing-all-categories-when-it-opens-default-view-mac-desktop) and it continues in the latest. I am assuming July 5 = 2019? (odd that the forum does not indicate years or time of day)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jipnet

The issue we are discussing here is different, i.e. 1Password not remembering whether the list of categories or tags is expanded or not (and not whether 1Password can show empty categories or not).

• jipnet
    jipnet
    Community Member

How is that different? Expanding categories and remembering this setting was my problem then and now, which is how the first respondent understood me too:

"If you expand Categories in the sidebar, 1Password should remember your choice over restarts of 1Password. Is that not what's happening for you?"

My categories were not empty then. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jipnet:

Ah got it! Thank you for clarifying :) As Lars mentioned, the team is tracking this already, so thank you all for your patience.

• billj
    billj
    Community Member

It appears that version 7.4.1 (70401002) (1Password Store) has resurrected this behavior.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

@billj:

Thank you for the report. Our developers have been made aware of this ;)

ref: dev/apple/issues#4380

This discussion has been closed.