Am I missing something when I create a new login (on Macbook, not iOS)?

Options
CarolF
CarolF
Community Member

Sometimes (but not always) 1P prompts by asking whether I want to save a newly created login. If I say yes, 1P saves the URL for creating a new login, which is not helpful in subsequent attempt to use that login with 1P. It seems to me that 1P should know the difference between creating a new login and simply logging in to a site it doesn't have record of - and have different prompts for those 2 situations. Similarly and relatedly, creating a new login and asking 1P to create a password plunges me into mystery land for knowing that password if 1P does NOT prompt to save it, which happens more often than not. What am I missing?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @CarolF! First of all, if you generate a password in 1Password for Mac using the Strong Password Generator, and you save that password, it will always be saved as a Password item. You can click the Passwords category in 1Password for Mac's sidebar, then sort the data by Date Created, and you'll see the most-recent one at the top. So you don't run the risk of ever generating a password and not having at least the password stored, even if saving the Login item fails for some reason.

1Password can't "know" whether the site in question is using two different URLs for registration and normal sign-in. There are a few different ways websites can do that, some more difficult for 1Password than others. What you can do, when you run into these issues (a site that has a different sign-in page than their registration page, such as register.somesite.com vs somesite.com/login), is generate the password and fill it into the registration form, enter the rest of the registration data but do NOT save the item if 1Password offers to save it for you. Then (once the account has been created) sign out of the site and visit the main sign-in URL, paste in the password you generated (after copying it from the Passwords category), and type in your username or email address, and then allow 1Password to save the Login item.

It's also worth mentioning that you can add additional website URLs (for multiple sign-in pages or subdomains) by editing Login item and adding whatever fields you wish. Hope this helps! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome @CarolF!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.