Problem using 1Password logins

Options
diitto
diitto
Community Member

Hi, I have two issues. Just today I purchased a license to 1Password 7, having used 1Password for many years now and having used 1Password 6 for a long time. I installed 1Password 7 on a 2013 MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave 10.14.5. I want to be satisfied with how it runs on that Mac before also installing it on my 2016 MacBook Pro that I use extensively every day.

1. I chose a couple of my simplest and easiest logins that appeared to have all copied over from 1Password 6 to 7. I said "go" to load the login and it open the correct page in Safari, entered the username and password but then just sat there. It left the "remember me" checkbox checked which I always uncheck but I suppose that could be because the login just stalled after entering the username and password. I even went ahead and made a NEW login under 1Password 7 for the same site and same result, it loaded the credentials and then just sat. I ran the old 1Password 6 version of this same login on my newer 2016 computer and though it did not go ahead and load the logged on page every time, most of the time it did. But I'm getting 0% completions with 1Password 7 logins, again very simple ones.

Any thoughts on that??? Am I doing something wrong in how I create or launch these logins on 1Password 7???

1. On every login where I've used 1Password to create a password for me (and that's most of them) when I click on the login in 1Password, I always get a message it is a "reused password" with a pulldown toward the right that says "1 other item". And when I click on that item, it shows me something like "Password 90" or "Password 162". And yes, I know exactly where that comes from because over the years, when I make a new password for whatever login, I save that password within 1Password in the Password list that it allows you to make if you choose. So my passwords aren't at all used in multiple logins. They are unique and used in only one login but your message about replicated password is simply because you are looking at 1), the place where I originally made and stored that password and then 2) in the login where that password gets used. So if I could just get your software to turn off looking at the rather long password list I've gathered over years of producing a one location use, unique, random password, the number of "reused passwords" in my logins would fall, most likely, to zero.

I wonder why you have defined a "reused password" to mean any password that is contained in a login and that also shows up on that password generation list. Those are not logins. They are just a list.???

I could get rid of that list I suppose as it is and always has been just a list where, if need be, I could go back and check a time/date when I made this or that password. I've never used it but one never knows. But unless I get rid of that list or you have some other means for turning off your software's rule of including that list in its "reused password" definition, then the "reused password" feature will prove to be pretty worthless to me.

Your thoughts on that???

thanks... bob

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: None

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @diitto!

Any thoughts on that??? Am I doing something wrong in how I create or launch these logins on 1Password 7???

This is expected behavior. Apple removed the feature in macOS that allowed 1Password to submit your data after filling, so now we can only fill your items for you, and it's up to you to submit information. Luckily 1Password will highlight the submit button for you, so submitting the form should be as easy as pressing the Enter key :)

I wonder why you have defined a "reused password" to mean any password that is contained in a login and that also shows up on that password generation list. Those are not logins. They are just a list.???

They are a list of passwords though, and if 1Password notices that the same ones are stored in multiple places, that makes them a reused password. May I ask why you are keeping a duplicate of these passwords around, if you already have a corresponding login item?

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

So did you folks turn OFF the (what I will call) “autosubmit” feature in 1Password 7.3.1??? I ask because I have TWO MacBook Pro’s, both running the newest macOS, Mojave 10.14.5. One of those machines is still running 1Password 6.8.9 and I would say that 75% of the significant number of 1Password logins I use on that machine DO STILL “autosubmit” correctly. I use them often and again, though not every one still “autosubmits”, most do. The other machine, my test machine, just got 1Password 7 (7.3.1) for the first time yesterday and so far I’ve not gotten any of some pretty simple logins to “autosubmit”.

So does it make sense to you that many of my logins still “autosubmit” under 1Password 6.8.9 even though that machine is running the latest macOS, 10.14.5??? And did you shut off “autosubmit” as a feature in 1Password 7??.

I’m certainly not opposed to clicking the “submit” or “enter” button but I’m just trying to learn the differences between my existing 1Password 6.8.9 and the new version, 7.3.1, I just bought yesterday and installed on my test computer???

Your thoughts???

And regarding the password list, no, it is not crucial that I keep that list. Long ago when I started making passwords with 1Password, I started and kept that list which just shows passwords by generic names, Password 1, Password 2, etc. Each password does have a date of creation and I wasn’t sure if that might come in handy at some time so I started and kept the list. I never anticipated that list might get in the way of 1Password feature in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@diitto: I think there may be some misunderstanding. Apple has made it clear that sending keystrokes isn't going to be permitted going forward for security reasons (it's easy for malware to abuse this), so current and future versions of 1Password for Mac won't do that. But we didn't retroactively make changes to older versions to change that. It will break in Safari but may work in other browsers unless they (or macOS) change to actively block that behaviour. From the user perspective, since 1Password can generally leave the password field focused after filling (⌘ \ is your friend), and most websites will accept Return to submit the form from there, you just need to press that and you should be good to go.

I'm not sure I understand the benefit of having a "list" with apparently the same passwords you already have saved elsewhere in 1Password though. If you have any questions, please ask and clarify anything like that which is relevant. :)

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Understand... Thanks... I am certainly more interested in avoiding security risks than I am concerned about having to press an ENTER key myself. But I was just looking for differences between my older 1Password 6.8.9 and the newer 7.3.1 I just deployed on my test machine a couple days ago. And that no auto submit sort of jumped right out at me when I began looking at the two versions of 1Password running on two machines, both running Mojave.

And yes, the password list is an old and non-essential idea I had years ago. It can go away. Thanks for the help... bob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) I hear you. All things being equal, it would be nice to have. But I'm glad to see the focus Apple has put on security. I think a lot of us got used to a sort of "security through obscurity" on the Mac due to...well, not being Windows. That always made me uneasy, so I don't mind Apple being a bit strict with some things like this, Gatekeeper, SIP, etc., even if they can be a bit inconvenient at times. I suspect that we'll get used to them, and that Apple will also continue to add more convenience features -- like Password Autofill on iOS -- over time too to balance it out without sacrificing security. Cheers! :)

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

I hear you, Brent, and I agree. It can be a scary place out there. I currently block more calls on my smart phone than I answer. I'm a little surprised I blew past updating to 1Password 7 when you guys brought it out a year ago. I certainly got the email and knew about it but somehow got off on some other path. I've been using 1Password since at least 2009 and appreciate how well it is written and how responsive you folks are on the discussion site. thanks... much... bob

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I know I typed brenty, yep in fact just did again and autocorrect decided your name was Brent. I usually catch those. But missed it above. My bad... Another great feature, autocorrect, great when it works but....

bob...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Brenty, you are welcome! And thank you for the conversation :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@diitto: Hey, I've been called worse. :lol: Thanks for your support! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.