To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confusion reigns amongst my Apple devices.

Options
coop3842
coop3842
Community Member

I operate off several Apple products, (Apple watch, iPad Pro, iPad Mini, iphone8, MacBook Pro laptop, and Mac desktop). All of these devices run 1Password but don’t sync to keep my vaults current.
Firstly, I am confused with the need to have a 1Password online account. If I have a version of 1Password 7 how does that relate to a 1Password account or is that it. Now you’re talking about 1Password mini. Why would I need that if I am running 7 on all my devices?
With all my devices I am not able to sync to all my machines successfully. In addition, when I login to a site on my MacBook Pro I keep receiving a 1Password pop up asking me to enter my u/n and p/w-WHY? I already have the information in 1Password on the same device.
I also don’t understand the 1Password extension. How does that relate to the version I am running?
Also, what’s the purpose of the 1Password browser? What does it do for me?
So you can see I am a bit overwhelmed with all the rhetoric about 1Password, it’s use, what’s best for me, synchronization and pop ups.

1Password Version: 7.33
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: iOS 12.3.1, OS X latest
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:Confusion reigns!

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @coop3842!

Firstly, I am confused with the need to have a 1Password online account. If I have a version of 1Password 7 how does that relate to a 1Password account or is that it.

A 1Password account is what enables you to sync your devices, and what is powering all the features that 1Password offers you.

Now you’re talking about 1Password mini. Why would I need that if I am running 7 on all my devices?

1Password mini is the 1Password icon that you see in your menu bar of your Mac, in the top right side of the screen. You don't need to use it if you prefer using the desktop app or the browser extension, but it needs to be running in order for 1Password to work.

With all my devices I am not able to sync to all my machines successfully.

On the devices that are not syncing, have you added your 1Password account to the app already? This is the only thing that you need to do in order to have your devices sync.

I also don’t understand the 1Password extension. How does that relate to the version I am running?

The 1Password extension is what allows you to automatically fill your usernames and password on the websites you visit, without having to copy and paste the fields manually from the 1Password app.

Also, what’s the purpose of the 1Password browser? What does it do for me?

It's another option of navigating the internet while keeping the 1Password feature of filling usernames and passwords. It's optional, and you can certainly use Safari if you prefer.

This discussion has been closed.