I may be daft but I can't find 1P 7 for Mac pricing

1Password Mac today told me that 1Password 7 is available. My version of 1Password 6 is "1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store".

On the app store, I see only in-app purchases and all of them are subscription-based. I have the one-time download product that does not require any subscription and sync via Dropbox.

So...

(1) Is non-subscription still an available pricing model for 1Password 7?

(2) How much is the upgrade from 6 to 7? I couldn't find any info on your web site. Does having bought it through the App Store make a difference?

(3) Is 1Password 7 for Mac still in beta?

As a point of feedback: it's somewhat irritating that your site makes finding info on non-subscription pricing so difficult. The president of AB said in his Reddit AMA that standalone, non-subscription pricing would remain as a go-forward option, yet you constantly funnel visitors into the subscription model pricing and make it hard to find alternatives. This is not consumer-friendly behavior.

Great product I use every day and curious to see what 7 brings!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @raindog308!

(1) Is non-subscription still an available pricing model for 1Password 7?

Yes.

(2) How much is the upgrade from 6 to 7? I couldn't find any info on your web site. Does having bought it through the App Store make a difference?

The Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 only supports 1Password 7 Memberships, so that's why you are not seeing the license pricing there. If you download 1Password 7 from our website, you will see the option to purchase a license.

The regular price is $65 + tax (if applicable), but we are still running our launch pricing, so you can purchase one for $49.99 + tax :)

(3) Is 1Password 7 for Mac still in beta?

No, it's been out of beta for almost a year no.

As a point of feedback: it's somewhat irritating that your site makes finding info on non-subscription pricing so difficult. The president of AB said in his Reddit AMA that standalone, non-subscription pricing would remain as a go-forward option, yet you constantly funnel visitors into the subscription model pricing and make it hard to find alternatives. This is not consumer-friendly behavior.

We still offer standalone licenses, but we are not marketing them anymore. We believe Memberships offer a better value for most users, so licenses are still available for those who really want them, but the website focuses on the Membership option.

Great product I use every day and curious to see what 7 brings!

Thank you! :)

• We believe Memberships offer a better value for most users, so licenses are still available for those who really want them, but the website focuses on the Membership option.

LOL! Come on...more accurate to say it's more profitable for you all. Really nothing to do with value for users.

No, it's been out of beta for almost a year no.

OK, but if I go to the download page for Mac, it says it's still in beta, so you might want to clarify. Thanks

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member
    edited July 9

@raindog308 - sorry for the confusion.

I go to the download page for Mac, it says it's still in beta

It doesn't. That is indeed the way to download the beta version (currently 7.3.2.BETA-0 for Mac). But the main download available from the top of that page is...the current version of 1Password for Mac -- version 7.3.1:

That's why, if you look just to the right of the beta download you mentioned, at the bottom of the downloads page, you'll see that 1Password 6 for Mac is in legacy mode (specifically marked with "Remember that these versions are no longer supported and only receive important security updates").

So, to recap: current version: at the top, center, main download. Experimental beta version and legacy older versions at the bottom of the page. Hope that helps. :)

• LOL! Come on...more accurate to say it's more profitable for you all. Really nothing to do with value for users.

That is definitely not true for me. I use 1Password on Windows and Mac additionally to iOS Devices. It already provides a better value than licensing in that case. On top of that I use the Family Subscription that offers features like the shared vaults that simply are impossible with 3rd party sync services.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@peacekeeper - that's certainly true for many users such as yourself. It does vary depending upon individual situation, but yes: especially if you have a 1Password Families account, or you use 1Password on both Windows and Mac, it's often much more cost-effective to use a $59.88/yr 1Password Families account than it would be to use, say, two licenses each for two people to use both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows, even at the current discount of $50 each. If you're a single user, using only one platform, the savings aren't as significant, and it depends a lot more on how frequently we release new full-version upgrades (which has varied historically), but you're definitely right for many user's setups. :)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

While I can certainly appreciate the "value" argument, we'd have to be talking only about price and assuming that we'll be using the same OS, browser, and 1Password version for many years down the road without upgrading. For most people that just isn't the case, and regardless I'd argue that there's a value in staying up to date for security and compatibility, in addition to the fact that 1Password memberships include automatic offsite backup. I've talked with too many people who lost their data due to not having a backup of it for me to be able to overlook the value of backup that you don't have to worry about, and that's there for you when you need it (which is the only time most people think about backup at all): you simply sign into your account to access your data, even if all your devices were lost, stolen, or destroyed. Just my two cents based on experience.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file