Primary Profile Locked??

Options
LynnZ
LynnZ
Community Member
edited July 2019 in Mac

I recently installed 1Password7 on my new laptop MacBook Air. I added it to my iPhone and my iPad. Now I want to add it to my desktop Mac. However, when I try to log in to my account, I get a message saying "primary profile locked - please enter your master password." Well, my master password is already entered. So I erase it and enter it again (yes, it's correct). And still I get this error message.

I can go to 1Password on Chrome and log in just fine with the secret code, master password, etc. I know that the information I'm entering on my desktop Mac is correct. I even tried using the QR setup code from my iPhone to no avail.

I also tried going to Preferences>Accounts. It prompts me to click the + sign, but I can't do it because it's greyed out!

I DO NOT want to reset and lose the vaults and data that I've already put into this, which are on my iPhone, iPad, and laptop MacBook Air. What am I doing wrong??

I had 1Password5 and 1Password6 installed on my desktop Mac, but they were never configured or used. I deleted them (moved them to the trash, then emptied the trash). Could that somehow be interfering with my login on my desktop Mac? I even deleted 1Password7 and re-installed it on my desktop Mac, but still had the same problem.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.3.1
OS Version: Mojave 10.14.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LynnZ! Welcome to the forum!

I had 1Password5 and 1Password6 installed on my desktop Mac, but they were never configured or used. I deleted them (moved them to the trash, then emptied the trash). Could that somehow be interfering with my login on my desktop Mac?

Yes, I believe this is the case. I think you have an old Primary vault on this Mac, which you configured years ago when you first installed 1Password 5, and that you simply forgot the password for it since you have never used it.

Is your data currently all inside your 1Password account? Do you see all of it on all your other devices?

If you do, you can reset the 1Password app on this Mac, so that the next time you launch it you will be able to scan your QR setup code here too, as you have done on your other devices :)

• LynnZ
    LynnZ
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Yes, I see the data (vaults, etc) on all of my other devices.

If I follow the instructions to "reset 1Pwd app on this Mac" will it only affect my desktop Mac, and NOT the data that I have on my other devices?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LynnZ:

Correct, it will only reset the content of that specific 1Password app, your online data will not be deleted :)

• LynnZ
    LynnZ
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much ag_ana! That worked perfectly! :-) :-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @LynnZ! I am happy that I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.