Constant locking out

I disabled auto lock feature in Chrome but 1Password addon is locking itself like every 10-15 mins, It is really annoying now. How can I fix it? When I am logged in in my personal PC, I don't want to enter my master password every 10-15 mins in Chrome.

1Password Version: 1.15.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @Naxterra! Thank you so much for taking the time to report this to us. What you're experiencing doesn't sound like intended behavior to me. I've turned off the 1Password X auto lock settings and am testing this in attempt to reproduce what you're seeing right now. In the meantime, can you tell me if this is occurring after closing (quitting) Chrome?

1Password X is a full featured 1Password extension (for Chrome and Firefox) that can be used without a connection to the 1Password desktop app (but runs smoothly alongside it), and just like the main 1Password application, 1Password X launches in a locked state. This means you can adjust the lock settings for it (or turn them off) so it never automatically locks, making it so the extension will stay open as long as your browser stays open. However, if you quit the browser and relaunch it, you're essentially quitting and relaunching 1Password X as well, which will result in requiring your Master Password to unlock.

Do you think that's what's causing 1Password X to appear in a locked state every so often on your device?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra – That setting can be a tricky one. It will require an app that constantly runs in the background in order to keep Chrome from closing. 1Password X isn't considered a "background app", but there are some others you can install if you wish. I found a thread that has a couple of suggestions, but make sure you're only installing extensions that you trust. I hope that helps!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra – That makes sense. We're currently working on something we call Desktop App Integration that allows 1Password X to communicate with the 1Password native apps. While we began with 1Password for Mac, I'd expect us to move onto 1Password for Windows once the former is available in the stable version. Right now, it's only available in the 1Password X and 1Password for Mac beta builds. We'll look forward to it coming to the Windows side of things eventually. :)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra – That's correct. I don't have any ETA to share. As I mentioned, we're still working on bring Desktop App Integration to 1Password for Mac at the moment.

• olafh
    olafh
    Community Member

It would be really nice if 1Password X would support Two-factor authentication when logging-in again. Like how I can use Fingerprint on the Mac when opening the app again. I mainly use it on chromebooks so the X version is really my only way to use it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@olafh: Two-factor authentication works when authenticating, like when you sign into your account. 1Password X does support that, just like the rest of our apps. Unlocking 1Password involves encryption though, not authentication. We have no plans to introduce security theater by having 1Password ask you to authenticate when no authentication is necessary or relevant (i.e. when your encrypted data is already on the device; it does not need to authenticate with the server to get it).

• olafh
    olafh
    Community Member

Sorry @brenty, I should have asked it differently. I meant to say, it would be great if 1password X could unlock the app by using fingerprint or a Fido key (or other none password method). This way I would not need to type in my Master Password each time I wanted to unlock the app. This is already possible on the Mac with the 1Password app for Mac, like to see that feature come to 1Password X as well so I can use it on my Chromebook the same way I do on a Mac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@olafh: Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying! Indeed, we're taking some steps toward that with desktop integration (which will allow unlocking with Touch ID using 1Password for Mac + 1Password X), and a YubiKey can be used in a compatible browser for authentication when signing into the account. I'm not aware of any biometric support in Chrome OS, but perhaps something like that will be possible there someday. Cheers! :)

• b_ran_don
    b_ran_don
    Community Member

@brenty Specific to 1Password X in a Chrome OS environment, until biometric support is available, would it be possible to have a device-specific master password after initial setup? The user could define an alternative secure password that may not be as burdensome to type on a regular basis, and have it restricted to a specific device. This would be useful on Chromebooks where 1Password X is the only option (e.g. desktop integration isn't a solution for Chrome OS) -- up to the end user to weigh the risk/reward; could be useful for home bound devices where unwanted physical access is of little or no concern.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@b_ran_don – Thank you for the feedback! I'm not sure how our security team would feel about that idea, but I'm glad you shared it with us nonetheless. You're welcome to adjust 1Password X's auto-lock settings and dial them back a bit in the meantime, if you'd like. I personally like to extend my idle timeout when I know I'll only be using my computer at home for the day. We allow you to adjust those settings to your own liking since we realize everyone's preferences differ. I hope that helps a bit for now.

This discussion has been closed.