TouchID with Microsoft Edge Chromium

dreinidahodreinidaho Junior Member

I’ve tested 1Password X Beta and 1Password on macOS with Google Chrome, no issues. I installed the same 1Password X Beta plugin, from the Google Chrome store, in Microsoft Edge, but unlocking 1Password on macOS does not unlock 1Password X in Edge (but does in Chrome). I know Edge is beta and most likely not officially supported by 1Password. I just wanted to point this out to the team.

1Password Version: 7.3.2 BETA-0
Extension Version: 1.16.5
OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1Password for Families

Comments

• kaitlynkaitlyn

Team Member

Hey there @dreinidaho! Thanks for pointing this out. You're right, Edge is still in beta, and it won't work with Desktop App Integration quite yet. That's because we haven't added the code signature to 1Password for Mac. It's on our radar, though. I'd expect us to wait for Microsoft to get a bit further on the development of the new Chromium Edge. Stay tuned. :)

• kathampykathampy
    edited July 14

How come you supported Edge Dev on Windows already? Is there something about Edge Dev on macOS that breaks the 1Password desktop extension?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@kathampy: We don't support prerelease browsers on any platform. If they work, great. And we make an effort not to break things. But with things being in flux so much with non-stable releases, it's not something we can officially support. The new Edge on Windows was released much earlier than it was on macOS, and code signature checks work completely differently on each platform. I suspect we will support both in time, but it's too early to tell. A lot could change before the first stable release of either. Heck, a year ago we all though Microsoft was sticking with an entirely different (though similarly-named) browser. We'll see how things develop. :)

• Is adding the code signature a really big deal?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@adamJ: Adding a code signature is relatively trivial. It's vetting each browser that's a time-consuming and ongoing process.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file