Moving from 1Password to 1Password Membership/Family

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

I've been a 1Password user since the beginning. Here is my setup: I have 2 Macs (iMac & MacBook Pro), iPhone and my wife, who shares our data via Dropbox, has an iPhone and iPad. Currently, we both use Dropbox for our shared data (we both use the same vault). As you can probably guess, Dropbox has dropped a bomb on us with the 3 device limit. I've considered using iCloud, which would work for my devices, but since my wife has her own iCloud account, that poses an issue for us sharing the vault. Add to this, we have 2 kids who each have their own personal 1Password accounts (they don't share our data, but it might be nice if we could share some of our data). They each use Dropbox, but only have 2 devices each (MacBook Air and iPhone), so they aren't affected by the Dropbox limitation. I also use a Windows 10 PC at work. They don't allow Dropbox at work, so I have to manually copy the vault to a local drive at work.

Personally, I HATE subscription models, but in this case, since we are constantly using 1Password all the time, it might be an option, if not too expensive and it allows all 4 of us to share passwords, and get the latest and greatest versions of 1Password. I've read about membership and family options. They sound very promising. One concern would be different OS versions (my iMac is on El Capitan, MacBook is High Sierra, and they are running Sierra on their MacBook Airs).

My biggest concern is the conversion process. How do we start? I don't want to break things. Would I start with the main computer (iMac)? Then convert my MacBook Pro, then my iPhone? We don't want to lose our data. I assume we could just convert for me and my wife, then try and convince the kids (college age) to switch to the family? Would their data be safe? Would we later be able to add shared passwords if we like?

I know this is a lot of questions, sorry about that. Is the membership one price, then more for a family?

Thanks for your help on this.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@ajahn Try this link: https://1password.com/sign-up/ For about $60/year you get all versions of 1Password for all four of your family members. All your other questions are answered on that page as well. hth

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

I did read all about it, but I'm still concerned about a few things. How do I start? Do I sign up for the 1Password Families and start setting it up for me first (on my iMac)? My wife and I each have our own accounts on the iMac. Can she continue to use the old version on her account until we switch her over? I assume her own account uses her version? When I decide to add my kids, how do they keep their old passwords (in their Dropbox) for the new membership version? Do I manage the account on my iMac (in my user account)? Do I add my wife and just say, share everything? When she adds a password do we all see it? If I add one does she (and the kids if I share them) see it? Can I add from any device and it is shared? I guess it is all kept on the cloud (at your location?) Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

I see the 30-day free trial. Can I start with that on my iMac, but still use the old version until I'm ready to turn it on? Is there a way to merge multiple databases? I have a separate one at work (on a local drive). It has most of the other ones (Dropbox), but some are new. How can I merge them all into one? Is that possible?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ajahn,

I have replied to some of your questions in the other discussion you opened, so here I will focus on the questions that I believe I have not answered in your other discussion.

One concern would be different OS versions (my iMac is on El Capitan, MacBook is High Sierra, and they are running Sierra on their MacBook Airs).

You might have to use different 1Password app versions on different operating systems (I am specifically looking at the older El Capitan), but as long as you are running at least version 6.6 of 1Password, you will be able to use a Families account without issues.

Here are the system requirements for 1Password for Mac, for reference.

I know this is a lot of questions, sorry about that. Is the membership one price, then more for a family?

A Families Membership covers your entire family, so no need to activate multiple subscriptions :)

I see the 30-day free trial. Can I start with that on my iMac, but still use the old version until I'm ready to turn it on?

Certainly.

Is there a way to merge multiple databases? I have a separate one at work (on a local drive). It has most of the other ones (Dropbox), but some are new. How can I merge them all into one? Is that possible?

You can, but it would be a manual process since there are duplicates in the two vaults. But you can cherry pick items manually move them from one vault to another. I would recommend leaving this as a future step however, so we don't make the migration process too confusing.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

You might have to use different 1Password app versions on different operating systems (I am specifically looking at the older El Capitan), but as long as you are running at least version 6.6 of 1Password, you will be able to use a Families account without issues.

I am running 6.8.x on El Capitan (I'm planning to upgrade to High Sierra in the near future).

Do you have to manage the account on one computer, or can I do it from my laptop AND iMac?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn: You can manage your 1Password account from any device that has a full-featured web browser supporting the latest web standards:

https://start.1password.com/

You don't have to do it only from one specific device. Cheers! :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

I've started to look at the Family version again...

I'm still running an old version (4.6.2) of 1Password at work on a Windows PC. Once I switch over to the Family plan, will I be able to get the newest Windows version as part of the Family subscription? How does that work? Do I first use a browser to log in on-line (using my new family account info), then download the latest Windows client? I went to 1password.com and I see a "Sign In" link. Is that signing into the "family subscription" account?

One other thing, once I set it up and I am the site manager, am I the only user who can sign in at 1password.com? Is that how I manage the account?

I do a whole lot of research and investigation before I make a big change like going from my old tried and true 1Password, to a subscription model, but I'm liking what I'm seeing and so far.

Thanks

• @ajahn

I'm still running an old version (4.6.2) of 1Password at work on a Windows PC. Once I switch over to the Family plan, will I be able to get the newest Windows version as part of the Family subscription?

Yes. :)

Do I first use a browser to log in on-line (using my new family account info), then download the latest Windows client? I went to 1password.com and I see a "Sign In" link. Is that signing into the "family subscription" account?

This guide should help:

Get the 1Password apps

One other thing, once I set it up and I am the site manager, am I the only user who can sign in at 1password.com? Is that how I manage the account?

All users can sign in at 1Password.com and yes, that is where you manage your membership.

I do a whole lot of research and investigation before I make a big change like going from my old tried and true 1Password, to a subscription model, but I'm liking what I'm seeing and so far.

Great! :)

Ben

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben.
    So in the "Get the 1Password apps" link, the first thing is to sign up for an account. I assume that is a subscription or family account? Since I'm using 1Password stand-alone, I don't actually have "an account" at the moment, right?

• Right. :)

Ben

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

One more question. Are your passwords synced locally to your device? If I need to open an application with a password, but I'm currently not connected to the internet, how does that work?

• @ajahn

Your data is cached on each device you sign in on, and that cache will be updated when you unlock 1Password while connected to the internet. You can access the cache while offline.

Ben

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

I see that the Family plan give you 1G secure document storage. Is that for the whole family? I like to store off things like SS cards, driver licenses, birth certificates, etc. Not a lot of stuff, but scanned documents like that. I assume 1G is more than enough, but what if you exceed that? And with that said, are all my docs secure on the cloud?

• @ajahn

Correct; each 1Password Families membership gets 1 GB of storage space to store documents:

Save important files in 1Password

This space is shared by all accounts within the membership. We don't currently offer an option to buy more, but if you run out and would like more please send us an email to support@1password.com so we can notify you if that becomes an option. All documents are protected with the same encryption any other data you store in 1Password is. :)

Ben

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Another question:
    Say I have 4 people in the family. Can I create a shared vault, but only share with my wife and I, and not the kids?
    Can I create multiple shared vaults and pick who can see which ones? Vault_1 -> all family, Vault_2 -> wife and me, Vault_3 -> both kids, etc. ? As the admin, do you have that level of access?
    If I have a shared vault does each family member use their own master password to open all the vaults that they have access to (personal and shared)?
    Currently, my wife and I share one vault using Dropbox.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Say I have 4 people in the family. Can I create a shared vault, but only share with my wife and I, and not the kids?

@ajahn: Yep! The default Shared vault is automatically available to everyone you invite, but any other vaults you create can be shared with some, all, or none of your family members. :)

Can I create multiple shared vaults and pick who can see which ones? Vault_1 -> all family, Vault_2 -> wife and me, Vault_3 -> both kids, etc. ? As the admin, do you have that level of access?

Exactly. :+1:

Create and share vaults

If I have a shared vault does each family member use their own master password to open all the vaults that they have access to (personal and shared)?

Correct. Sort of. Each user's Master Password gets them into their account, which in turn allows them to view any vaults they have access to.

Currently, my wife and I share one vault using Dropbox.

It really depends, but a lot of couples seem to enjoy not having to share a Master Password anymore, since usually one person chooses it and the other is stuck with it. :lol:

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

It really depends, but a lot of couples seem to enjoy not having to share a Master Password anymore, since usually one person chooses it and the other is stuck with it. :lol:

Good point. So then my wife can create her own master password. I think that is much better.

But, in case something happens to me, she would have to know my master password, so she could get in and manage the account, right? Or is there a way to give "admin" access to another family member?

• If you don't want to share your Master Password with her you could make her a Family Organizer and give her access to your email account. That way she can perform recovery on your account:

Recover accounts for family or team members

Ben

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

The more I read, the more I'm starting to love the family sharing. Although I really dislike subscription software, I'm starting to realize that this is really the way to go. I've been a user of 1Password since the beginning and I love your product and support. I'm a real advocate of 1Password. Your documentation is great, sorry I keep asking you questions that are probably covered elsewhere...

Say I get the free 30-day trial. I sign in. Does it recognize that I already have a vault in Dropbox? Does it then ask me if I want to migrate it? Does it default to a personal vault, or can I pick? I eventually want to share this one with my wife.

Next, I decided to invite my wife. I send her an invite? When she opens it, will 1Password see that she too has a vault in her Dropbox? Will it migrate that to a personal vault? You see, I want her to share my shared vault, since the data in her Dropbox is the same as mine, and I've already migrated mine.

Next, I invite my son who has his own personal vault in his Dropbox. Will the new 1Password migrate his vault to his own personal vault in the family account (that only he can see)?

I assume my wife and I can later create our own "personal" vaults, but in reality, we usually share all our passwords. But the more I think of it, the more I realize that she could care less about many of my work passwords, etc. So it makes sense to have separate personal vaults.

When it comes to my son's, I want it to be as easy for them to click on the invite and switch without much trouble. Will they need to upgrade the 1Password app on their MacBooks and iPhones, or will it be seamless?

And lastly, at work, I have an old 4.x version on my Windows 10 PC. How do I start using the subscription version? Do I have to send myself an invite?

when you have multiple vaults, does the browser plugin look in all of them or do you have to choose?

Thanks so much for all your patience.

• The more I read, the more I'm starting to love the family sharing. Although I really dislike subscription software, I'm starting to realize that this is really the way to go. I've been a user of 1Password since the beginning and I love your product and support. I'm a real advocate of 1Password.

Thank you so much for the kind words!

Your documentation is great, sorry I keep asking you questions that are probably covered elsewhere...

That's no problem at all. That's what we're here for. If nobody asked questions I'd be out of a job. ;)

Say I get the free 30-day trial. I sign in. Does it recognize that I already have a vault in Dropbox? Does it then ask me if I want to migrate it? Does it default to a personal vault, or can I pick? I eventually want to share this one with my wife.

Yes, the migration process should be fairly automagical. We have a more in-depth description of the steps here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

By default your Primary vault will be migrated to your Personal vault in 1Password Families, which only you can see. You could certainly create a vault to share with your wife and move any items you want to share to there, though:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

Next, I decided to invite my wife. I send her an invite? When she opens it, will 1Password see that she too has a vault in her Dropbox? Will it migrate that to a personal vault? You see, I want her to share my shared vault, since the data in her Dropbox is the same as mine, and I've already migrated mine.

Correct. In that case you may want to delete the contents of her Personal vault, once you've shared a vault with her, to avoid having a bunch of duplicates.

Next, I invite my son who has his own personal vault in his Dropbox. Will the new 1Password migrate his vault to his own personal vault in the family account (that only he can see)?

Yes, exactly. :)

I assume my wife and I can later create our own "personal" vaults, but in reality, we usually share all our passwords. But the more I think of it, the more I realize that she could care less about many of my work passwords, etc. So it makes sense to have separate personal vaults.

Everyone has their own Personal vault that nobody else can see. This is by default and cannot be changed. As outlined above though you can create and share any number of additional vaults, though.

When it comes to my son's, I want it to be as easy for them to click on the invite and switch without much trouble. Will they need to upgrade the 1Password app on their MacBooks and iPhones, or will it be seamless?

I would recommend doing everyone's migration within 1Password 7 so you get the benefit of the latest updates to the migration code. This will provide the best result. So, yes, I'd suggest upgrading the apps first.

And lastly, at work, I have an old 4.x version on my Windows 10 PC. How do I start using the subscription version? Do I have to send myself an invite?

Do you want to access the same data there that you do at home? If so you wouldn't send yourself an invite. You'd just install 1Password 7 for Windows and sign into the same account you use at home. It may be handy to have a printed copy of your Emergency Kit to take to work:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

when you have multiple vaults, does the browser plugin look in all of them or do you have to choose?

The default is to look at All Vaults, but you can customize which vaults appear in that view, or switch to a specific vault.

Thanks so much for all your patience.

My pleasure. :)

Ben

• lucy_
    lucy_
    Community Member

Interesting to read all of the above questions from @ajahn, which I also had having been in almost exactly the same position. All the various answers above seem utterly plausible on paper BUT and it is a big BUT as I've just attempted to go through this process this afternoon and despite sending diagnostic files to support@1password as requested and then following their email explicit instructions I am left, after hours of frustration with a read only version of what I used to have and complete silence from the 1pasword support team!

I upgraded my system from High Sierra to Catalana and my partner decided that although we too hated the monthly subscription format, having purchased standalone versions right from the get go, it was better than sharing passwords and duplicating stuff so we'd suck up the monthly subscription. My partner had already support requesting clarification on how you migrate from standalone 1password to shared family subscription. But the answers that came back but didn't make sense so he gave up. 6 months later, when I upgraded my system, I picked up the mantel and emailed for clarification on the original instructions.

I was given them and duly followed all of them to the letter, at times emailing back to the support team to clarify anything I was unsure of so I didn't get it wrong. I created a new account (giving credit card details etc) downloaded 1Password 7, shared with partner and did the same on his laptop. So far so good. But when I tried to log into new app with new password, it simply would not accept and would only work with old passwords. The trouble with that is, you only get one primary vault so you can't follow the handy video support team sent because you simply don't have a shared vault etc. Annoyingly you are also prompted to upgrade so many times you end up screaming "I already have" out loud at the screen! So with no shared vaults, you can't migrate your data over. I duly returned the issue to support team who told me I'd missed out a step. I hadn't but I sent them more diagnostic files as requested and they came back to say I wasn't logging into the new app. I was - there is only one app and its 1Password7 but it simply does not accept the new password set up. Exactly the same for my partner. Screenshots were requested and sent and then I waited and waited but no answer. Eventually I ran out of time waiting and had to go out for a couple of hours so emailed again asking for a solution so I could continue on my return. Sadly on my return - no email just total silence. No "we're looking into it" or "we might have to get back to you tomorrow with a solution" just plain deafening silence. So my hunch is there isn't a solution. So now I'm left with a half baked version of 1Password. It's read only which means I can't edit or delete from and my partner now has two apps running on his laptop and one password support team seem to have just completely deserted the problem. So at this point, I would seriously caution you @ajahn from attempting to do this. I've been left extremely frustrated and its been a huge waste of time!

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

So at this point, I would seriously caution you @ajahn from attempting to do this. I've been left extremely frustrated and its been a huge waste of time!

Hey Ben, any comments. This makes me nervous to hear. :-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn - not Ben, but hopping in here. Reading what she wrote, it looks like lucy_'s issue here is not having added her 1Password account to the app. If you don't add the newly-created account, 1) the local 1Password app will still unlock with the previous Master Password you used for your standalone 1Password data and 2) you won't be able to migrate, because the new account (and its vaults) aren't present.

That's why step 1 of the instructions Ben pointed you to earlier are to add your newly-created 1password.com account to the app -- so you can perform the migration. It's worth mentioning that you don't have to choose a new Master Password for your 1password.com account, and in fact, if you feel your existing standalone Master Password is strong, unique and hasn't been breached or disclosed to anyone else, it's fine to use the same one for the new account. That avoids any possibility of new password/old password confusion. But if you want to, you can really stretch out and create a truly strong new Master Password. It's your choice. :)

I'd recommend you follow the instructions Ben gave; they do work for most people. Let us know if you have any questions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@lucy_ - you've been in conversation with my colleague Carlos over multiple emails. Typically, for continuity, the person who initially answers a user's support email will help guide them through to the end of their issue. During the day, when they're working, once an initial email has been answered by one of us, follow-up replies tend to be relatively speedy. Most of Carlos' replies to you were within 20 minutes of the time-stamp of your email. But we're a mostly remote company and people obviously don't work 24/7, just as you probably don't. The response time is "best effort," keeping in mind things like time zones and the fact that we each help dozens of people daily. I promise it's not the case that you're being ignored (it's quite late at night where Carlos is located) nor is it the case that we can't help you solve the issues you're having. I've replied to your email to help keep the conversation going. Thanks for your patience.

ref: WNJ-52697-373

This discussion has been closed.