How does invited family member import their existing vault?

Options
ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

I sort of asked this in another post, but it was buried in with a lot of other questions... I'll be more specific here.

My boys each have their own 1Password accounts (macs and iPhones). Each with their own vault in Dropbox. I am considering the membership family plan. Once I set it up, I would like to invite them to it. When they get the invitation, what do they do? They already have the application on their macs and iPhone. They have Dropbox on both as well. Do they start on the mac and join there first? After that are they able to import their existing vault? As the membership manager, would I see that vault in the sidebar (on 1password.com)? What happens on their iPhone after that? Do they just bring up the app and sign in to 1password.com? Do they get a key or something? I'm trying to find this information on the forum/youtube, but I don't see this specific information. This needs to be easy for them or they won't change over (college kids, you know).

Hope someone can explain or point me to a good (specific) tutorial. I will also need to do this with my wife as well.

Thanks
Alfredo

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ajahn!

My boys each have their own 1Password accounts (macs and iPhones). Each with their own vault in Dropbox. I am considering the membership family plan. Once I set it up, I would like to invite them to it. When they get the invitation, what do they do? They already have the application on their macs and iPhone.

After joining your Families account, they can add it to the app they already use, and move their existing data inside the account. Once that is done, they can remove the old Dropbox vault from the app and keep using 1Password with just the 1Password Families account added to the app :)

As the membership manager, would I see that vault in the sidebar (on 1password.com)?

No, the Personal vault can only be accessed by the owner of that vault. You will be able to manage any other vault you create in the Families account, but not other users' Personal vault.

What happens on their iPhone after that? Do they just bring up the app and sign in to 1password.com? Do they get a key or something? I'm trying to find this information on the forum/youtube, but I don't see this specific information. This needs to be easy for them or they won't change over (college kids, you know).

These are the steps:

1. You create a 1Password Families account
    2. You invite your family members to join it
    3. Every family member accepts the invitation and creates the account
    4. Every family member adds this account to the 1Password app
    5. Every family member moves their existing data (if any) to their 1Password account

I hope this helps!

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ana, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.