Feature Request: Display Master Password when unlocking 1Password app

ShoutingMan
ShoutingMan
Community Member

I'd love an option for 1Password to display the password as I'm entering it to unlock the application on macOS. I have a long password and it's easy to mis-type, sometimes taking me five tries to get it right on my computer. It's my home computer no one is snooping over my shoulder. It would be just easier if I could see what I've typed and spot and fix a typo, rather than blindly type it multiple times to get it right. Thanks! :)

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 7.3.1
OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1Password subscription

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ShoutingMan!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

• ShoutingMan
    ShoutingMan
    Community Member

Thanks for your consideration!

• Hi @ShoutingMan

I've talked about this idea with our development team. It seems in order to do this on macOS we would have to give up using the built-in Secure Input feature / field type, which provides a lot of protections for the Master Password. At this point, unless we find a way to accomplish this without giving up Secure Input I don't think we're going to be able to head in that direction.

Sorry to be the bearer of such news, but I hope that helps explain why we haven't implemented such a feature.

Ben

• ShoutingMan
    ShoutingMan
    Community Member

Thanks for the information. I appreciate you putting security first!

• You're very welcome @ShoutingMan. Thanks for understanding our position. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• grrrrraham
    grrrrraham
    Community Member

This isn't the greatest solution but it's not terrible: you can always type your password somewhere else and copy-paste it into the 1Password app.

Easiest way to do this would be to summon Spotlight (cmd-space), type your password and select all (cmd-a), cut (cmd-x) close Spotlight (esc) then, assuming 1Password master password field is focused, just paste it in to 1Password (cmd-v).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @grrrrraham,

I'm very hesitant to suggest something like that for anything but the most stubborn of troubleshooting cases. If we look at the text relating to Spotlight in System Preferences it says:

Spotlight helps you quickly find things on your computer and shows suggestions from the Internet, iTunes, App Store, film showtimes, locations nearby and more.

The emphasis is mine. You don't want your Master Password being sent as part of a query to any of those given it could leave a record of the search on some server.

This discussion has been closed.