can i upgrade 1password6 to a new different 1password7 license on my Mac ?

Options
flyingcanoe
flyingcanoe
Community Member

Hi Support

I need to transition from v6 agilebits store standalone to v7 standalone.
Because the origins of my v6 license are lost in the mists of time I want to buy a new v7 license and install the v7 app on the same Mac that I'm running v6 on and then upgrade my vault/data to v7.

i do not want to upgrade the v6 license to a v7 version - I want to purchase v7 as a different person.

I would be grateful if you can tell me how to do this.

Thanks !!

Peter Rhodes

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:can i run both 1password6 and 1password7 on my Mac ?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@flyingcanoe - hey Peter! I'm not quite sure what you see as the difficulty here, so elaborate if you think I'm missing something. But if I'm understanding you correctly, this is a lot less intricate than what you may be imagining. New licenses for full version upgrades of 1Password are always technically "different people." You may (obviously) BE the same person, but because it's a different license for a different version, you may as well be a completely different person in terms of the licensing. You will get a different license number/file, purchased from a different vendor (we're using FastSpring now as our standalone retail store), and you can put any email address and name you wish on it. Your data is an entirely separate matter: it will be upgraded by installing 1Password 7 for Mac; not dependent upon what name/email is on the license. :)

Here are instructions for getting 1Password 7 for Mac downloaded and installed and your data set up. It's a pretty automatic process. The only real choice you need to make is whether to subscribe or purchase a standalone license from the Purchase Options screen:

Let us know if you have any questions or run into any trouble. :)

• flyingcanoe
    flyingcanoe
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi Lars

thank you - that seems to have worked well. The only glitch I had was that when I went to preferences - Sync to set the new version to sync, when I chose Dropbox 1password then said this would remove all syncing even though there was no syncing set and it asked me if i wanted to delete data. When I choose to continue it all seemed to work ok although it took quite a long time to write the new vault. Then I discovered it had put the vault in the root of Dropbox instead of the folder inside Dropbox that I had thought I had selected.

So i searched the website for articles on how to move a vault to a different folder but oddly could not find any mention of how to do this. so I just manually dragged it to a subfolder in Dropbox and then double-clicked it to open it back up in 1password.

Thanks and best wishes.

peter.

edit: so i have discovered that the option-fullscreen button does not work properly in v7 when you have more than 1 monitor and the 1password window is straddling 2 monitors. The green dot shows a + when holding down the option key but when i click it, the app continues to go into Full Screen view rather than Maximising to the screen that the left hand top corner of the window is currently showing on.

if the 1password window is completely on 1 screen then the option-fullscreen button works correctly.

should i file a bug report for this ?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @flyingcanoe,

Just in case it is of any help in the future, if you should need to change the sync location what I would recommend is to visit the Sync tab in 1Password's preferences and switch it to None. 1Password will ask if you wish to delete the existing sync container and once done you could set it to sync to Dropbox again and this time select the new location. The reason for suggesting this is normally double clicking a sync container would cause 1Password to add a new vault which isn't what you want to do.

I've tried to reproduce the bug you're reporting for maximising the window but so far I've been unable to get any app to straddle two monitors and as a result 1Password is behaving as Mail does. Is there a setting or something I'm missing that will allow me to reproduce? Once we can we'll happily file a bug report as our issue tracker is internal and will require a member of the 1Password team to file it on your behalf.

• flyingcanoe
    flyingcanoe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi littlebobbytables,

i have attached a screen shot showing the 1Password 7 window straddling 2 monitors. I just dragged it there from the bigger monitor.
    Previously in v6, if I held down the option key and clicked the green dot, the 1Password window would fill the left hand screen but not go into fullscreen mode. ie I could still see the menus at the top of the screens and windows from other apps.

thanks !

Peter

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @flyingcanoe,

I wonder if the difference we're seeing is somehow due to different versions of macOS. I'm running Mojave and every attempt I make at trying that causes half the window to disappear, macOS is only willing to display it on one screen at a time. I did check the display options to see if there was anything I could tweak but the multi-monitor support seems to be all automatic where either its a span or mirror. While I do keep a copy of older versions of macOS around they're all in a VM so no way to test multi-monitor support sadly.

All of that is based on you mentioning 10.13 AKA High Sierra in your first post.

The following isn't a representative of 1Password talking with a user, it's just one person chatting with another so nothing more than a personal suggestion. If you like to manage your windows I wonder if you might be interested in a small app called Magnet. It's in the App Store and I believe it's quite cheap although as I've already purchased it I can't see the price. It allows you to easily use either drag and drop or keyboard shortcuts for setting the size of the window to things like full window, half, quarter screen or even two thirds. I find it indispensable and I'm just wondering if you might find it useful as well. I would also be quite curious to learn how it behaved when you have a window straddle two screens like that. I completely understand if buying a third party utility isn't something you want to consider though which is why all of this is definitely not some official stance and really is just my experiences and wondering if you'd find it useful too.

This discussion has been closed.