Safely Set up Syncing in iCloud only 1 way - master to secondary devices

dealtek
dealtek
Community Member
edited July 2019 in Mac

Hi all,

https://support.1password.com/sync-with-icloud/

I have standalone one password version seven on my primary Mac and secondary Mac and also on iPhone

My primary Mac is my master data. In the past, I had synced through dropbox, however now I want to switch to iCloud sync.

So on the primary Mac I opened one password and chose to sync the primary account to iCloud which took a few minutes. Now I want to go to the other Mac and to the iPhone and get them to sync to iCloud also. Currently they have older incorrect data and I definitely do not want any of that incorrect data to sync backwards into my primary account. So my question is: what is the best way to get the other two devices to sync to the master iCloud data without merging any of the incorrect data from the older devices?

I imagine one way to do it is to go to the older devices and delete all the password data first prior to syncing - would that be a safe way to go?

Is there a better way to do this?

ALSO on master : I can sync the primary folder to iCloud ok , however I have other vaults and when I pull down sync - I do NOT see iCloud option - just dropbox or folder. Is there a way to ALSO add the other vaults to iCLOUD?

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Sierra and high Sierra latest iOS
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dealtek - if you're certain the other two devices have old/outdated/incomplete copies of your data and the primary Mac has what you would consider a complete and up-to-date copy of your 1Password data, then things become quite easy. On each device, use these instructions to Start Over (i.e. - delete all your 1Password data, and then begin again as a "new" user, by connecting to the iCloud data).

The one bit of sand in these gears is that iCloud sync has always been for only the Primary vault. If you have secondary vaults, you'll need to use a different sync method for those. And frankly, if you're syncing data across multiple computers (as opposed to just one computer and one or more mobile devices), then Dropbox really is your best method -- at least from among our advanced, 3rd party sync methods. The best, and also easiest, method of all would be a 1password.com membership; no limit on total number of devices you can sync, no limit on number of vaults you can sync, and you get the fastest and most stable sync experience we've ever offered, along with multiple other benefits. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

Thank you Lars for your help,

So, since I would like to move away from Dropbox, for the other non primary vaults, can I use a folder I create in iCloud and sync to that?

(this is the way I did it in dropbox...)

Thanks
    Dave

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dealtek - unfortunately not. Although iCloud drive must be enabled in order for 1Password's iCloud sync to function, we don't use iCloud Drive's file system. Instead, 1Password's iCloud sync is via a companion technology called CloudKit. That means a) it's very different from Dropbox's approach, and b) you can't just create a folder in iCloud Drive for this.

Obviously, you don't have to tell me if you'd prefer not to, but can I ask why you're wanting to move away from Dropbox? Prior to the release of 1password.com membership accounts, both those methods (Dropbox and iCloud) were among our top sync methods. Each had its strengths: iCloud sync worked very well with Apple devices, but was limited to only your single, Primary vault. Dropbox was great for cross-platform sync (to Windows and Android as well as just Mac and iOS), and you could sync as many vaults as you wished. You still can, in fact. So if you have multiple Macs and multiple vaults, Dropbox is really your only good option...unless you're interested in a 1password.com membership, which is why I mentioned it. That's going to be the best way to use 1Password and sync your data across all platforms and devices, moving forward.

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

Dropbox recently changed their pricing structure which has become less attractive.

So, am I able to sync the primary vault with iCloud and Sync the other vaults using dropbox? (assuming I keep Dropbox)
    Will this technically work?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dealtek - yes. That will work -- and in fact, it's what we've recommended in the pre-1Password.com days for users who want iCloud but have multiple vaults. Just set your Primary vault's sync to iCloud, and any/all secondary vault's sync to Dropbox, and you'll be all set.

Regarding the price issue, Dropbox just a few months ago reduced the number of supported devices to 3, for their free accounts. Their first level of paid account is $9.99/mo. Which gets you...Dropbox. Unlimited devices, increased storage, etc. That's not a bad value on its own, if you need to make use of extensive online storage across multiple platforms and devices. Dropbox is great for that. But I will point out (and I swear, this will be the last time ;) ) that a 1password.com individual membership is only $2.99/mo if paid annually (works out to $35.88/yr), which is less than a third of Dropbox's cheapest paid plan...and it comes with access to all four of our native applications (Mac, iOS, Android and Windows), including all future upgrades to the apps, for as long as you maintain the account.

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

Thanks for the info Lars

Dave

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome Dave!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.