Master Password not accepted in v7 after upgrade from v6 — works on iPhone

Options
JayDeePurdie
JayDeePurdie
Community Member
edited July 2019 in Mac

I recently installed 1Password version 7.3.1 (70301007) on my MacBook to replace version 6.8.9 (689001). Everything has been working well ... no issues with the conversion, and since installing the new version I haven't experienced any problems. However, I just tried to open iPassword version 7.3.1 on my MacBook and the master password is not accepted. I have tried several times, including a cut&paste. It will not open. I did not delete the old version 6.8.9 and I tried using that version ... the master password works okay with that version. I typically use a finger print to open 1Password on my iPhone, and that works. I tried using the master password on my iPhone and it works okay. Can you help? Regards ... Jay-Dee

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.5
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• JayDeePurdie
    JayDeePurdie
    Community Member
    Options

And addition to my previous post ... as I wrote, I can still access version 6.8.9 of 1Password, but it will not let me enter any new items. When I try, I'm informed that my trial has ended and that I need to pay for the software again. I've been using this version since it was issued. Thanks in advance ... Jay-Dee

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JayDeePurdie!

Are you using the same vaults in 1Password 6 and 7? Or does one of the two apps include a Primary vault that the other app doesn't have?

If you open 1Password (first version 6 and then version 7) and go to Preferences > Vaults tab, do you see a difference there between the two apps?

• JayDeePurdie
    JayDeePurdie
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning ... solved the problem ... it was a carbon-unit problem. When I installed version 7, I didn't realize that a new master password was automatically generated. I thought I was using the same master password for both version 6 and 7. I was able to get up and running again. Thanks for your support & sorry to have bothered you with this. Jay-Dee

• JayDeePurdie
    JayDeePurdie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ... I recently upgraded from version 6 to version 7. I've been using 1Password on my MacBook since around 2016 (if memory serves me correctly), and I've used DropBox to keep my 1Password data current across my MacBook, iPhone and iPad. I'm using my DropBox account less and less, and I would like to have 1Password sync over iCloud, which I use often on my Apple platforms. I checked the documentation and from what I understand, I can change the sync from Dropbox to iCloud via the "Sync" button in the preferences. My problem is that when I open the preferences on 1Password 7, there is no sync button.

I see the following buttons when I open preferences ... General, Mini, Security, Accounts, Watchtower, Vaults, Browsers ... Advanced

I have an Individual membership. When I look up my account online I see the message "You are on the Individual Plan, billed annually on August 5. You still have 20 days remaining in your free trial before you will be charged."

Thanks ... Jay-Dee

1Password Version: 7.3.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS Mojave Version 10.14.5
    Sync Type: DropBox

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @JayDeePurdie,

That's odd, the first time you launch 1Password 7 it should have migrated your existing 1Password 6 data over and that would use the same Master Password. If at the same time you moved from standalone vaults to a 1Password account then as part of the 1Password account creation that would have given the opportunity to supply a new and different Master Password.

If you're sure everything is okay then that's fine but if you're unsure at all and don't know if you've created a 1Password account or not please let us know and we can work with you to figure it all out.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @JayDeePurdie,

I see you posted a new thread, I've gone ahead and merged them given they both relate to the same event, the move from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7.

So it does look like after moving to 1Password 7 you've been guided into the 1Password account creation process and maybe you didn't realise what it all entailed.

1Password 7 is our first paid update since 1Password 4 for Mac and so it's the first time since 1Password 4 where a user couldn't automatically update and everything continues to work seamlessly. Any licence or previous purchased would see 1Password 7 in read-only mode with two options. A user could create a 1Password account, our subscription based service where we host your encrypted data and as part of the subscription includes full access to the latest 1Password client on all supported platforms. Once you had created the account and it was connected to 1Password 7 your standalone vaults would be moved over. This is the path we recommend as we've done our best to make it easy to access your data on any device without worrying about sync or the concern of loss of data if a vault was only ever on a single device. For those that really don't want this 1Password 7 does still allow for a licence with standalone vaults and that is true of both Mac and Windows.

What you've described does mean it sounds like you've created a 1Password account and you're in the trial period. It would also explain why you no longer have a sync tab, as all syncing is automatic with our dedicated server and its one less thing to worry about.

Given the trial period do you wish to give the 1Password account a try and see if you like it?

• JayDeePurdie
    JayDeePurdie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ... I've been poking around at this since around 7:30 am this morning, trying out things, and everything appears to be okay now, except being able to sync via iCloud instead of Dropbox (I just created another comment about that). I checked iPassword on my iPad and iPhone and everything appears to be working as normal. Scratching my head on this one, but as long as it is working, then all is well.

Thanks ... Jay-Dee

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JayDeePurdie,

You'll want to see my last reply which I added after merging your other thread :smile: I'm hoping that will help explain what you're seeing and then we can decide what you would like to do next.

• JayDeePurdie
    JayDeePurdie
    Community Member
    Options

Hello again ... oh ... that's KOOL about the sync. So, if I understand you correctly, I do NOT need Dropbox to sync. (When I log into my iPassword account online, I can see everything in my vault that is on my MacBook, iPad and iPhone.)

You wrote, "Given the trial period do you wish to give the 1Password account a try and see if you like it?" ... it isn't a matter of "trying it" ... I've been depending on 1Password for quite a few years now. I'm in a "trial" period because that appeared to be the only option when I upgraded from version 6 to 7. Apart from you billing me, will anything change when when I go from a trail period? Will I need to do anything?

Thanks ... Jay-Dee

PS ... Sorry if I'm coming across confused ... I'm not a computer person ... I need my computer to support my photography habit.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @JayDeePurdie,

If you decide to stay with the 1Password account you're correct, no need for Dropbox or iCloud, our server handles everything and does it without any further handling from the user's standpoint. For any new copy of 1Password, say a new device you sign into the 1Password account and everything is taken care of for you. Once of the goals with the 1Password account was to try and make it as easy as possible given what we've learned over the years from troubleshooting sync with standalone vaults and other cloud services.

Your understanding of the trial period is correct, other than either a monthly or annual charge, there is nothing you need to do or worry about when the trial period ends. If you've already added payment details everything will be automated and you can just keep using 1Password. Just so you're aware, we do offer both paying monthly or annually with a discount when paying for a year at a time.

You have nothing to apologise for by the way and the fact that you know you need a password manager to help keep you safe means you're more a computer person than you may first believe. I'm more than happy to cover anything that isn't clear, our primary goal in support is to make sure each person is happy and making full use of 1Password to help protect themselves in the very hostile electronic world we have today.

As I mentioned earlier, some people are quite against a 1Password account, some because they don't like the idea of a subscription, some because they're really passionate about not using a cloud service at all. 1Password 7 does still support a licence with standalone vaults but if you're looking for something to be easy and to just work so you can spend your time on what you enjoy then a 1Password account is probably the best bet. No worrying about syncing and no worrying about backups. Sign into your 1Password account and your data is simply there.

• JayDeePurdie
    JayDeePurdie
    Community Member
    Options

AWESOME! Thanks ... so far I like what I’m seeing in version 7. Once my trial period is finished, I’ll look at deleting the version 6 edition and the related backup and Dropbox files. Thank-you for your time and patience ... Jay-Dee

• joshua_1p
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hey @JayDeePurdie,

That is great to hear you are enjoying 1Password! I am so glad you were able to get your problem fixed!

If you ever have anymore questions or concerns, please let us know. We are always happy to help! :)

Have a wonderful week!

This discussion has been closed.