Standalone license

Hi,
I'll have a big problem purchasing a "standalone" license for 1Password 7
The Window where I could order a license is completely empty no text no buttons kinda very clean design :)
Is there another way purchasing a license while giving me an URL or something where I could buy one?
While searching the internet up and down I'll found an URL to FastSpring but I'm not sure if that is the right one or some fishing site.

Before you ask me "no" I'm totally not interested in any form of memberships I'll prefer the standalone license system.

Just my two cents:
for sure its your right to hide those information while you want to push memberships but honestly thats a really bad decision if you ask me.
In my eyes you would get much more reputation from me if you let the users choice which license model they want. I'll guess you don't consider that there are a lot users out there which are totally not allowed to spread there company passwords around the globe even if the servers would be located at the users country it might still not legal for him to store his passwords on those machines.

Anyway I've included some images where you have additional informations about 1Password Version and such btw. that happend not only with the beta version but also with the offical one I was just testing if it happends witht the beta too so yes.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: none

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @MMO

I'm sorry the experience of purchasing a license did not go more smoothly. :( Do you have any sort of content blocking happening either through Safari (perhaps with an extension) or at the network level? Have you tried from a different internet connection? The only way we support purchasing a license is through the app, so if you're intent on doing so we'll need to figure out how to make that work for you. :)

Ben

• MMOMMO

Hey @Ben,
    you're totally correct, my bad!
    Solution: stopping the firewall from blocking 1Password domain could definitively help 8-)

Kindest regards,
    Marc

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Glad to hear that helped @MMO. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us. :)

Ben

• macsrwemacsrwe Junior Member
    edited October 24

Not to hijack this thread but I have a closely related question.

I too asked about a non-cloud version of 1Password 7. Ultimately, I saw no real reason to upgrade after all, so I did nothing at that time... until Apple's recent Safari upgrade busted 1Password 6. Now I need to pursue this issue (or abandon Safari).

I'm running up against a blank wall trying to find out what the license allows BEFORE paying for a license. (And yes, I have used the search function, which is how I found this posting, but no license text.)

Your product and website is quite aggressively forward about giving me opportunities to pay for a license, but seems utterly incapable of telling me where I can read a copy of the license BEFORE I pay for it. This makes it difficult to answer such questions as, "Does the same user need multiple licenses to run 1P7 on multiple computers he owns? How about his wife's computer? Is there a family license?"

I'm not a big fan of the "you have to pay for it before you can find out what is in it" model. Can you help me out?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @macsrwe

We no longer advertise licenses so admittedly information about them is sparse. Licenses are per-person, per-platform, and per-version. So, a 1Password 7 for Mac license allows one person to use 1Password v7 on all of their compatible Macs. If you want to share with your family, 1Password Families is the solution.

Ben

• I would agree 100% with macsrwe. I've been a customer for a long, long time. And this new "subscription" model FORCES your customer to pay you $60 a year, whether or not we deem your future, unseen upgrades worth it. A lot of software companies are going in this direction, but honestly, it provides one a moment to think, "hey, what else is out there?" All because of a browser update - NOT an OS update - suddenly I have to pay you more money? It's too bad.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited October 29

Hi @aschro

Thanks for taking the time to chime in with your perspective.

All because of a browser update - NOT an OS update - suddenly I have to pay you more money? It's too bad.

I'd suggest considering it from this point of view: we had to do a ton of work in order to make 1Password operate with the new Safari extension system. Do the folks who did that work not deserve a paycheck?

Every time we make a change, which we're doing on a daily basis, that has a cost associated with it. Because of the demand 1Password is a full time career for a growing number of people. 1Password is all we do. The only revenue we bring in is through people paying for 1Password. We don’t sell ads and we don’t sell customer data. We need to pay our people a wage that incentivizes them (us) to continue to effort toward the goal of providing the best password manager. In addition we want to be able to offer opportunities to talented folks who can help us move forward, and if we want to be able to recruit talent we have to be able to be in a position to offer competitive salaries.

Software development doesn't have a one time cost associated with it. Salaries are a recurring expense. Companies are starting to realize that and structure their business models accordingly. There is a reason the old model is (slowly) disappearing from the marketplace. The common model of days past made sense when it didn't take teams of people working around the clock to build and support ever-changing software. Modern demands are different, and business models are evolving to adapt.

Software subscriptions are far from a new idea. They've been commonplace in the business world for ages. The primary difference is that consumer demands of software companies have evolved to more closely resemble the demands business has had for some time -- 24/7 support, rapid fixes of bugs, evolution of the software as other software evolves around it, etc. For example, it used to not be uncommon that if you wrote to a software developer you might get a response within a week, if at all. Now folks expect same-day responses, even from (relatively) smaller teams such as ourselves. Admittedly even with the growth of our team that we've had over the past couple of years we haven't yet been able to consistently meet that goal. It is something we're still working hard to achieve. It never would've been close to possible relying entirely on revenue from licenses, though.

And this new "subscription" model FORCES your customer to pay you $60 a year, whether or not we deem your future, unseen upgrades worth it.

Membership is a service, which includes upgrades as one component of it. Upgrades are necessary to keep up with the evolving technology landscape. The changes to Safari are an example of that. There are a number of other components to membership as well.

About 1Password membership

As another example, one of the demands our customers have had for a long time is the ability to securely share some data with other 1Password users. That is now possible only because of the evolution of 1Password membership. 3rd party solutions never were able to offer us the tools necessary to enable that.

I hope that helps explain why things are changing in the way that they're changing.

Ben

• First, thanks for your reply. I appreciate the fact that your company provides an open forum for this sort of discussion.

I have been a customer for a decade. My first purchase was all the way back in 2009. I have praised your software to anyone who would listen... friends, family, colleagues. I was honestly impressed by your generosity in the past. I reviewed my purchases and was surprised at how infrequently you required your customers to upgrade.

I don’t begrudge anyone a salary, especially for high quality work. And yes, I did review the other offerings out there. 1Password is still the best. And I’ve always been happy to pay for useful tools produced by companies with integrity. A few others immediately come to mind: I happily pay Bombich for Carbon Copy Cloner, and happily pay the developers of Pixelmator for their product.

What I do have an issue with is your timing and your value proposition.

Perhaps I’m old school. I used to be in software a long time ago and I understand the difficulty of keeping the lights on. I get SaaS. I understand why Microsoft, Adobe, and many other companies are going in that direction. When done right, it provides a predictable revenue stream for companies (which they and their shareholders obviously love), and decreases the customer’s burden of always having to keep devices up to date.

Although I really don’t have need of it, I know that I can get a subscription to use Lightroom and Photoshop, with some cloud storage thrown in, for $9.99 a month. For a guy who remembers when Photoshop alone retailed for, what, nearly a grand? Their subscription model seems like a pretty good deal. I can get Microsoft Office, with 6 world class applications (and some cloud services thrown in) for $9.99 a month, or about $100 a year if I pay all at once. That’s for 6 people to share. That likewise seems like a pretty good deal.

I know, economies of scale, yada yada, you’re a small shop, etc. But I don’t need more subscriptions in my life. Signing up for another one for single-purpose software, as admittedly excellent as it is, seems like a stretch. This is in no way a ding on the quality of the work that your team does, it’s just that for me the math simply doesn’t work. With a subscription, the choice is binary: do I subscribe for $x per month, or not? With a purchase, I can time the expense and extend it out a little longer if need be. I can titrate the expense.

The other issue I have is timing. When you come out with a major release, I should be able to review the release and decide whether it’s worth it to upgrade. Hooking that to a browser release is a tough pill to swallow. Let me play devil’s advocate here: was that a major upgrade to Safari? Who knows. It’s Safari. Looks the same as before I upgraded. I fully expect to have to upgrade all kinds of software, and perhaps say goodbye to some, during the yearly MacOS updates. That’s expected timing. If I’m ready for the hassle and cost, I upgrade to Catalina. In fact, I probably will after they issue the next point release. But, to be told by Apple I should update Safari, and by doing so finding 1Password demanding I convert to a subscription if I still want to use the primary function of the software, i.e., securely filling passwords on websites? Feels like a sucker punch, sorry.

Finally, offering the option to buy a license but hiding it is just completely anti-customer. The license is available when you download the software package from your website, but not if you get it from the App Store? Huh? Ok, I get it. It’s probably something to do with Apple’s subscription model, and to dodge their 30% cut or whatever it is, you can’t offer it in that version. But, from your customer’s perspective... huh?

Look, I hardly ever post to any message boards. It’s just not usually worth it. I wrote this because I think your company is actually pretty darn good. And as long as you allow me to purchase your software for a reasonable price, I’ll happily continue to do so. No need to answer, and I’m sure you all have heard variations of this theme before.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@aschro

The other issue I have is timing. When you come out with a major release, I should be able to review the release and decide whether it’s worth it to upgrade. Hooking that to a browser release is a tough pill to swallow. Let me play devil’s advocate here: was that a major upgrade to Safari? Who knows. It’s Safari. Looks the same as before I upgraded. I fully expect to have to upgrade all kinds of software, and perhaps say goodbye to some, during the yearly MacOS updates. That’s expected timing. If I’m ready for the hassle and cost, I upgrade to Catalina. In fact, I probably will after they issue the next point release. But, to be told by Apple I should update Safari, and by doing so finding 1Password demanding I convert to a subscription if I still want to use the primary function of the software, i.e., securely filling passwords on websites? Feels like a sucker punch, sorry.

1Password 6 was retired and 1Password 7 was released over a year ago:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever | 1Password

1Password 7 isn't a new conversation. Safari 13 is. Safari 13 was released last month, and now requires their entirely new extension system which 1Password 7 supports and 1Password 6 never has. I suppose Apple could've only released Safari 13 to Catalina customers, but that would cause a host of other issues, especially as Apple also retired the old Safari Extension Gallery around the same time.

Finally, offering the option to buy a license but hiding it is just completely anti-customer. The license is available when you download the software package from your website, but not if you get it from the App Store? Huh? Ok, I get it. It’s probably something to do with Apple’s subscription model, and to dodge their 30% cut or whatever it is, you can’t offer it in that version. But, from your customer’s perspective... huh?

We wrote about why there is a difference in offerings between the App Store and direct here:

Getting 1Password 7 ready for the Mac App Store

I’m sure you all have heard variations of this theme before.

I won't argue that. :)

I hardly ever post to any message boards. It’s just not usually worth it. I wrote this because I think your company is actually pretty darn good.

Thank you. I respect and appreciate that you took the time to do so.

I don’t begrudge anyone a salary, especially for high quality work. And yes, I did review the other offerings out there. 1Password is still the best.

We really appreciate the kind words. Working in customer service it is easy to get bogged down with whatever the current issues might be, but comments like these help put things in perspective.

it’s just that for me the math simply doesn’t work

I respect that as well. For me, $3/mo is well worth it for the value 1Password provides for me. It is up to each of us to judge the value we're getting for our money. Best of luck whichever direction you end up going, and thank you again for taking the time to write in.

Ben

• joojoojoojoo Junior Member

I agree with < aschro > 100%. I will not support the monthly subscription system, as I do not with Adobe Lightroom.
    The reasons:
    1. The developers become sluggish because it is no longer obvious to us customers what the actual added value compared to the last purchased version is.
    2. I do not really need any update, and certainly not for software like Safari or Firefox.
    So I do it like this:
    1. I use 1Password6 as a program and copy the important login data.
    2. Unimportant of forums I save in Firefox or Safari, secured with their encryption.
    3. I'm seriously looking for an alternative now.

This monthly subscription system is not suitable for private individuals, perhaps for companies.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

The developers become sluggish because it is no longer obvious to us customers what the actual added value compared to the last purchased version is.

@joojoo: 1Password memberships were introduced almost exactly 4 years ago. Our track record proves otherwise, and there's still more to come. :)

I do not really need any update, and certainly not for software like Safari or Firefox.

I mean, it's up to you what you do, but it's actually really important to update your browser and OS for security fixes, if nothing else. Otherwise you're vulnerable to known issues that have already been patched, but you haven't updated to benefit from that. And keeping up to date with 1Password ensures compatibility with the latest browser and OS releases, which...ostensibly you're using 1Password because you care about security, so I do think it makes sense to keep up to date.

This monthly subscription system is not suitable for private individuals, perhaps for companies.

There are a lot of individuals who feel very differently, but of course you must do what you feel is right for you. Take care. :)

• You say I can buy a license, Great. But how?
    I can find the link, I can click on purchase, but when I go to enter the credit card information, the only option is to buy a membership. That is no good! It looks to me like bait and switch.
    All this promise of some future update that will be worth the membership? Is that another bait and switch?
    You are clearly pushing the membership model really hard, so much so that a license is no longer actually available. You try to argue that this is better for the customer, where it seems it is really just better for the company.

So, can I purchase a license, or should I switch product?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@saak

1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store is subscription-only. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available within 1Password 7 when downloaded from our website. If you'd prefer a license you can select the "need a license? We have those too" option from the welcome screen. A 1Password 7 for Mac license, which allows one person to use 1Password 7 on all of their compatible Macs, is normally $65 USD + tax. They are currently (as of writing) on sale for a limited time for $50 USD + tax. That promotion may end at any time now. It was originally planned to run for a couple of weeks, and has now extended for quite some time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends at any point in the near future.

If you're seeing the option to enter credit card data for a membership... then you've already signed up for a membership trial, and the above option will not be available to you. In that case please see this guide instead:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

All this promise of some future update that will be worth the membership?

That's not what we're saying at all, but it sounds as though you've made up your mind. :) Best of luck.

Ben

• Hello Ben,

I haven't quite made up my mind. I have been trying to buy a license. As you say, I can click on "Buy a license, we have those too", that gets me to a page to enter my billing information, which looks like:

And so I cannot even enter my credit card info without inadvertently buying a subscription.
    If I am wrong about this, can you help?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@saak

Based on that screenshot you currently have a membership trial which is frozen. You would need to remove that from the app before you can purchase a license. This guide should help with that:

https://support.1password.com/cs/migrate-standalone/

I haven't quite made up my mind.

Huh. You made some pretty strong accusations above, so I assumed you had. Sorry if I misunderstood. :)

Ben

• @Ben Thank you, one step closer now. I no longer get only the subscription option, but now I just get a blank dialog box.
    I am not behind a firewall, and the MacOS Firewall is off.

Is the only interface to billing through the app?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@saak

Is the only interface to billing through the app?

For standalone licenses... yes. Do you have any ad / content blockers installed in Safari?

Ben

• No, I do not, but the hint there is a good one.
    Seems the issue is indeed Safari. I had the "Privacy" "prevent cross-site tracking" box ticked in Safari preferences. Un-ticking that seems to do the trick.

This has taken me more than a month to get figured out. Sorry that I got frustrated, but the process was too confusing for me.

Thank you for your help.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@saak: Likewise, thanks for letting us know that's what ultimately helped. I haven't heard of that happening before, so I'll bring it up with the team to see if there's something that can be done about that. I'm so sorry for the hassle, but glad you were successful in the end.

• I am lost. I downloaded 7 and installed it . I bought the standalone license. but my 1password4 is still running and I cannot figure out how to open 7. Window 7 and firefox. some box opened up and want me to make a new vault but I want to use my old one. It also say use my master password if I do not share with anyone.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@69800:

I am lost. I downloaded 7 and installed it . I bought the standalone license. but my 1password4 is still running and I cannot figure out how to open 7.

Do you see 1Password 7 installed in your applications folder? What happens when you double click on it?

• Ok I found it. It wants me to create a new vault or sync. I do not know which to do. I do not want cloud. I want stand alone. And my old 1password 4 is still loading automatically but 1password 7 I have to open manually

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@69800:

Ok I found it. It wants me to create a new vault or sync.

If your data is being synced already (for example on Dropbox), then you can choose to sync it. Otherwise, if you have no data, you can create a new vault.

And my old 1password 4 is still loading automatically but 1password 7 I have to open manually

After you have configured 1Password 7, you can remove 1Password 4 so it doesn't load automatically anymore. We don't recommend running multiple copies of 1Password to avoid interference, so this issue will likely go away on its own after you have 1Password 7 up and running.

• Ok I got it up and running. I deleted removed password 4. I updated my firefox browser button but it does not work

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@69800:

I updated my firefox browser button but it does not work

Can you please clarify what you mean by "does not work"? What happens exactly when you try to use the browser extension in Firefox?

• When I click the icon the button looks like its trying to activate the password but nothing happens. I does work properly in Opera. I uninstalled it an reinstalled the firefox extension and rebooted the computer but I still does not work

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@69800: Which OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions are you using exactly? Do you maybe have "security" software or other extensions interfering in Firefox?

• windows 7 pro, 1password 7 standalone, firefox 70. I have never had this problem until a few days ago

edited November 1

windows 7 64bit . .net framwork 4.62 I disabled all addons except 1password. still no go

• Is any body there? My 1password is unusable...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file