Adding attachments to secure documents - software licenses

Options

Hello

As title says, is it possible to add files like license key files into secure documents / software licenses?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Naxterra: Documents are separate items in a 1Password account, so you can't strictly add them to another item. But you can add the faire as a new Document by selecting it from the "+" menu, and then link it to another item if you wish by editing that item to select the Document from "link existing". I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• In some cases, @Naxterra, I think you're right, but discreet Document items really are handy. For example, I save the receipts for all of my major purchases as their own Document items so I have a record of those purchases. They don't really make sense as attachments so, but for Document items, I'd probably have to put them somewhere else. I'm sure I'd find something suitable, but with as much time as I spend using 1Password, there's really no more convenient place for these sorts of thing, at least not for me.

I'll admit, I don't link a ton of stuff (I usually use tags for related items instead), but one thing I do usually link is the credit card item for the card used to purchase a given thing and the Login item for that credit card's online banking. It's a small convenience thing, but I like that I have easy links to the other items I might need if I'm making a warranty claim. I don't want to tag those items with the purchase as the tags on my credit cards would quickly get out of hand, so linking them serves as an easy reference without otherwise impacting my organizational methods.

To my mind, that's the main appeal of linking overall – it's flexible. You can use it to create attachments, but you can also use it as a simple reference between items other than Documents, and that's something I find myself using far more often. There's a trade-off there in that they aren't going to be as perfect for attachments for some use-cases as actual attachments would be, but they allow for things attachments didn't, too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's definitely something we're considering. On the one hand, it was nice to be able to get away from people needing to create some other item when they just wanted to add a file -- a long-running request we got from users. But certainly in some cases that's desirable. We'll continue to iterate on the workflow, as that will help a lot of people, and see if there are other things that can be improved as well. Thanks for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.