1Password 7 main window keyboard navigation issues

ckd
ckd
Community Member

I've switched from 6 to 7 on my Mac, and rather than reopening the List View discussion (though I too miss it quite a bit) I'd prefer to see improvements to the columnar view to make it easier to do things with just the keyboard.

Some scenarios where pure-keyboard navigation fails that I've found during my first hour:
1. Focus on the item list pane using Tab or the mouse. Use up and down arrows to navigate to an item. Use Cmd-E to edit the item. Tab around to make the changes, then Cmd-E to save them. Keyboard focus is now somewhere in limbo, and Tab no longer switches between the sidebar, search box, and item list.
2. Use Cmd-N or Cmd-Shift-N to create a new item. Make changes as needed. Cmd-E does not save the new item; the menu item is disabled, but (unintuitively) Esc will pop up a dialog "Cancel / Don't Save / Save" with the last as the default, so Esc Return will save the item. (There appears to be no key combination for "discard this item".) Cmd-E should probably work here.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

Hello @ckd,

So I can reproduce your findings although I have a couple of observations I'd like to add if you don't mind.

1. Focus does indeed disappear and I have no idea where to. I will file an issue for this but in the meanwhile there are a couple of behaviours that may help mitigate this. If you use the keyboard shortcut ⌘F this will place focus back on the search field and from there you can use tab to shift first to the sort menu and then tab once more to the item list. So the odd behaviour can kind of be worked around but I do agree there must be a better default behaviour we can implement. New to 1Password 7 though is quick open which has the keyboard shortcut ⌘K. If you're a keyboard person you might like this as it will allow you to jump to any item in any vault. It may feel a lot like search but for the keyboard orientated person you may find this faster. I'd recommend giving it a whirl to see what you think.
    2. I never thought to use the keyboard shortcut ⌘E to save changes, I've always used ⌘S which also works from the new item starting point. I believe the esc key is the shortcut we intend people to use when wishing to dismiss possible changes as we'll always want confirmation before discarding. I'm so used to tab allowing me to shift between dialog options I do forget it isn't a default setting. In System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts the option at the bottom titled Full Keyboard access allows for All controls and when that's enabled you can use a combination of tab and space to select any button in a pop-up dialog like the dismiss prompt.

Does any of that help at all? For the dismiss one, I don't think we could ever not have a confirmation prompt or afford for the default action to be to discard, the idea is to make sure that is the intended action - if we make it a keyboard reflex we may only encourage Doh! moments, not great given what the data represents.

ref: apple-938

• ckd
    ckd
    Community Member

Thanks for the tips!
    1. ⌘F works nicely, but as you note ⌘K is even better for what I want most of the time. (Not always; if I'm working my way through the sites with http:// URLs, I'd rather stay on that category rather than search for a specific item.)
    2. ⌘S probably should have occurred to me to try since it's a standard shortcut, but ⌘E appears next to "Save Changes" in the Item menu when in item-edit mode so I picked up on that; ⌘S doesn't appear in the menus at all as far as I've noticed.

I agree that the confirmation prompt is necessary and that the default action should be to save; the oddness of the workaround being "try to cancel, then tell it to save" amused me.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @ckd,

Glad I could help :smile: I wasn't sure if I would make use of the quick open when we first added it but I do use it a lot now, not that the search field has been made obsolete though, I find both useful and it sounds like you will too. I agree with you as well, if the best option to reach a save prompt was via a dismiss action we'd need to do some serious thinking about the UI as that just sounds wrong :lol:

This discussion has been closed.