1Password X in Firefox with Firefox Sync

Philipp
Philipp
Community Member
edited July 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,
Your icon at your support forum for 1Password X is a Chrome icon, but I hope this is the right forum for the Firefox 1Password X extension also, because I have not found any other. That is confusing...

I have enabled Firefox Sync option to sync add ons between different computers.

At home 1Password is installed and I use it in Firefox and chrome with the 1Password extension
At the office 1Password X is running on Firefox, because there is no own software allowed.

When I open add on overview in Firefox at home on Mac I see the 1Password extension and 1Password X extension.
When I open add on overview in Firefox at the office on Windows 10 I see the 1Password X extension only.

Now here are my questions:

• Is the 1Password extension add on visible only, when 1Password desktop is installed also? Or is it because of Mac and Windows?
  • Now my main question: At home I do not use 1Password X but I can't deactivate it, because then it is deactivated at the office also (because of the automatic sync). ==> But the problem is: Now 1Password X at home force me to login every time when I open Firefox browser. ==> How can I stop, that 1Password X force me to login at home? At home I want to use 1Password desktop in compination with 1Password extension only.

Thanks for your helping hands,
Philipp

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

Hi @Philipp! These are some great questions. First off, I apologize that it wasn't clear enough that this is the place to be for all 1Password X questions – Firefox included. I'll see what I can do to improve that experience since 1Password X is indeed available for both Chrome and Firefox, not just the former.

Is the 1Password extension add on visible only, when 1Password desktop is installed also? Or is it because of Mac and Windows?

Nope – the 1Password extension should be visible as long as it's installed in your browser. You're free to install it on a computer without the 1Password desktop app installed. It wouldn't do any good for you in that case, but you still can nonetheless. The reason it doesn't sync, however, is because it wasn't installed directly from the Mozilla Add-On Gallery. We only offer 1Password X in the Add-On Gallery (which is why that one syncs normally), and the desktop-dependent 1Password extension is available on the 1Password.com website. I tested this out between both Mac and Windows, and the results are the same.

Now my main question: At home I do not use 1Password X but I can't deactivate it, because then it is deactivated at the office also (because of the automatic sync). ==> But the problem is: Now 1Password X at home force me to login every time when I open Firefox browser. ==> How can I stop, that 1Password X force me to login at home? At home I want to use 1Password desktop in compination with 1Password extension only.

This is a tricky one. It sounds like you're using Firefox differently (at least in terms of 1Password), so I'm curious why you have Add-Ons set to sync. You have the option to not sync Add-Ons and still sync everything else in Firefox. If you paste about:preferences#sync in your Firefox URL bar, you should be able to customize what is synced and what isn't. That's one solution, and the other would be to enable the 1Password extension and disable 1Password X when you use Firefox on your home computer. That would mean that you'd have to re-enable 1Password X when you use Firefox on your work computer as well, so it's not exactly ideal.

To explain why 1Password X is having you sign in every time you open Firefox – that's because 1Password X operates solely inside the browser. When you fully quit the browser, you're also quitting 1Password X which causes it to lock. If you aren't quitting Firefox often, though, 1Password X shouldn't be continuously locking on you unless your computer goes idle for the time that you have chosen in your 1Password X settings. You can learn more about how to manage 1Password X settings here.

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @kaitlyn

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

After reading your details I found maybe the easiest way for this case: I set up 1Password X also. :) So now it does not force me again. And I still have the opportunity to use the extension instead also.

Small info: The last word in your text "here" is a hyperlink, but I think there is something wrong with it.

Cheers, Philipp

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Philipp – Thanks! I fixed that link now. I'm so glad you found a setup that works for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.