1Password iOS 7.3.3 UI bug: After WLAN sync finishes, continues to display "Syncing..."

Options
bookrats
bookrats
Community Member

This is a fairly minor, though initially confusing, UI bug I noticed today when performing a 1Password WLAN sync between both my iPhone and my iPad, and my Mac version of 1Password.

The gist of the problem: when I start a WLAN sync from the iOS version of 1Password, the iOS 1Password UI (under Settings->Sync) changes from "Primary WLAN" to "Primary Syncing..." (as it should.)

However, when the sync finishes, the same UI continues to display "Primary Syncing...", instead of changing back to "Primary WLAN". Here's a screenshot after the WLAN sync has finished:

I've confirmed that the sync is indeed working properly, and completing:

• It's very obvious on the iPad: the orange Sync icon stops spinning when the sync is completed, but the Sync setting page continues to display "Primary Syncing...". It's really only confusing on the iPhone, because (at least on my iPhone SE), the orange sync icon isn't displayed when you're viewing the Settings->Sync page.
  • The little animated spinning iOS "activity" icon appears next to the iOS Wi-Fi icon at the top of the iPhone during the sync; it stops when the sync has ended.
  • I've made changes to 1Password entries, and confirmed that the data is being synced back and forth between the iPhone or iPad and the Mac.

This didn't happen (I believe) with 1Password 7.3.1, so I suspect this is fairly recent.

Other data (though I think it's probably not essential to the problem):

• Mac 1Password version: 7.3.1
  • macOS version: 12.3.1 (Sierra)

Now that I know what's going on, it's not a problem to know when the sync is finished on my iPhone or iPad. But it took me about 10 minutes to figure out, and confirm, what was going on; so it would be good to have this fixed in a future release.

Thanks for your time!

1Password Version: 7.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.3.1
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bookrats

Thank you for taking the time to report this. :)

This didn't happen (I believe) with 1Password 7.3.1, so I suspect this is fairly recent.

That's quite odd as we haven't made any changes to the WLAN sync code in some time... The last change I can see was around 7.2.4. Let me see if either myself or our QA folks can reproduce this. In the mean time I would suggest attempting to rule out your WiFi network as a source of difficulty. You can do that by setting up an Ad-Hoc WiFi network, which connects the two devices directly to each other, without going through any network infrastructure (e.g. access point, router, etc). We have instructions on setting this up available here:

https://support.1password.com/wlan-server-troubleshooting/#if-the-wlan-server-still-doesn-t-work

Please let me know if this works any differently when connected via the Ad-Hoc network. Thanks!

Ben

• Sailor666
    Sailor666
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add a "Me Too" to the bug report.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bookrats & @Sailor666,

Assuming there is nothing unique to your copy of 1Password for iOS and the 1Password for Mac/Windows that you sync to contains everything as well I'd suggest resetting 1Password for iOS and setting up WLAN sync once more just to see if whatever is happening disappears. Not recently but I have observed that UI glitch where it seems sync never completes but I found a clean setup saw the issue disappear and it hasn't returned. I was confident in doing so because I knew my Mac was a solid source for all my data so resetting 1Password for iOS had no risk attached.

• Sailor666
    Sailor666
    Community Member
    Options

Sadly, resetting WLAN sync - and/or deleting and reinstalling/resetting up - the IOS app... had no effect.

The OP problem of "when the sync finishes, the UI continues to display "Primary Syncing...", instead of changing back to "Primary WLAN" still occurs. (on both iPhone and iPad. It's consistent!)

• Ben
    Options

@Sailor666

Did you get a chance to try my suggestion here? Please let me know if that makes any difference.

Ben

• Sailor666
    Sailor666
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried it - exactly the same result.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for trying @Sailor666. Beyond that I think the best I could suggest would be to try a more reliable sync option:

Sync your 1Password data

I will mention this to our QA team though to see if they can re-test WLAN sync on the latest versions to be sure we don't have a bug somewhere. Seems it would be odd if that were the case though, as like I mentioned above we haven't modified any of that code in some time.

Ben

• bookrats
    bookrats
    Community Member
    Options

I tried resetting the WLAN sync (as @littlebobbytables suggested), and also tried the suggestion @Ben made of using the ad-hoc WLAN network; neither worked -- my results were the same as @Sailor666 (thank you for confirming the UI glitch!)

@Ben - something I wanted to clarify: the WLAN sync is working -- there's no problem with the actual WLAN sync itself. It's just that when the sync finishes, the 1Password UI isn't indicating that the sync has finished; it continues to display "Syncing..." instead of switching back to "WLAN". My apologies -- I don't think I made that clear in my initial posting.

Also, I've always found the 1Password WLAN syncing option very reliable; I hope AgileBits isn't considering removing it!

Thanks, everyone, for looking into this!

• Ben
    Options

My apologies -- I don't think I made that clear in my initial posting.

No worries — we've been on the same page. :+1:

Ben

• Sailor666
    Sailor666
    Community Member
    Options

Update!
    IOS 13.2 on iPhone exhibits the correct behaviour (switches back to WLAN on completion of sync).
    IOS 12.4.3 on iPad retains errant behaviour

Looks like its an Apple thing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.