duplicate passwords for same website

Options
suevan
suevan
Community Member

When I go to the CapitalOne website and click on 1Password in password window, I get about 8 results all for that website. I know I've changed my password using the 1P password generator and I don't understand where all these duplicate login/passwords came from. I've tried to delete them from my 1P account but can't figure out how to do that either. There are variations of the website - verified.capitalone, creditwise. capitolone, login1, login 2, etc. - interspersed throughout the list of websites in my 1P account and I can't even tell which one is the correct login info to use!

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:duplicate passwords for same website

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @suevan! Welcome to the forum!

Just for confirmation: if you look inside your vault in the 1Password app, do you actually see 8 different Login items for this website?

• suevan
    suevan
    Community Member
    Options

Yes - they are listed in All Items and in the Watchtower. I'm sure it due to my not understanding how this app actually works - maybe I've inadvertently saved multiple passwords? But I can't figure out how to delete the duplicates in the app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@suevan: in the Mac app, the quickest way to move an item to the Trash is to select it and then press the backspace key on your keyboard :) Alternatively, you can right-click on the item you want to delete and select Move to Trash.

• suevan
    suevan
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana: Neither of those options work on my Mac but . . . I did notice an Edit button that pops up at the bottom of the page and when I click it, it gives me the option to Move to Trash. So I was able to delete all the duplicate logins. They still popped up on the website because they are saved in Chrome so I deleted those too. Should I disable the Chrome autofill? And is there an overall tutorial I can read about using 1Password? All the responses on the Blog are a little overwhelming to sift through.

Thank you so much for your patience and responses. I'm sort of computer savvy but I'm old and this has been more complicated than what I'm used to dealing with!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@suevan:

Neither of those options work on my Mac

Are you sure you are inside the desktop app? Here is what things look like for me:

I wonder if you were trying this in the browser extension or in 1Password mini instead.

Should I disable the Chrome autofill?

Yes, we recommend disabling this feature in every browser and just let 1Password handle it for you. Here is a tutorial on how to disable it in Chrome, should you need it.

And is there an overall tutorial I can read about using 1Password? All the responses on the Blog are a little overwhelming to sift through.

All of our tutorials and videos are available on our support site, but if you would like an introduction, perhaps our getting started article for Mac will help.

It also has links at the end to further reading, so you can jump to different topics at your own pace :)

• Rocky
    Rocky
    Community Member
    Options

So for all my duplicates that occurred on install of 1P7 you want me to go delete one at a time. How do I know the one that is the most current ? Or do I need to try each one which is an enormous task. I can't believe adequate testing was done on this issue or the inability to autofill issue on Chrome. How do I get a credit for all this time i've wasted on trying to repair use 1P7?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Rocky:

How many vaults do you currently have inside the 1Password app?

• Rocky
    Rocky
    Community Member
    Options

2 one Private with all my accts and 1 that shows shared with nothing in it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Rocky:

Thank you for the confirmation. In this case, you can try using the duplicate removal tool inside the app, which you can find under the 1Password Help menu in the menu bar > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items (just make sure to select the vault that has the duplicates first, in order to activate the option).

If you see multiple copies of the same items inside the Private vault, it means that you have run the data migration multiple times, so the automatic duplicate removal tool should help.

• Rocky
    Rocky
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much. Have a great day.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day too :)

This discussion has been closed.