How do I remove duplicate logins from a vault

Options
dromard
dromard
Community Member

I just open a MBP I haven't used in months and it still had the old single purchase version on it. Months ago I switched to new subscription-based product. Since then I have updated many of my passwords in an effort remove repetition in password use.

When I setup the new app and added the account info to get my new vaults, I erroneously chose copy over my old logins. This duplicated my logins, but many of the duplicates have abandoned passwords.

Private is the new vault with 728 items and 1Password is the old vault with 365 items.

How do I remove those unintended logins from my vault? This change immediately propagated on to family devices creating quite a bit of confusion.

I've seen the solution of delete one vault in lieu of using the other, but the old vault is useless because I've changed the passwords. What I need is a rollback or a de-duplication for 365 records that lets me identify and throw away logins with expired passwords.

1Password Version: Mac version 7.3.1 (App Store)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1 Password Account
Referrer: forum-search:duplicate login

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dromard!

I would certainly recommend deleting the old vault if it's not needed anymore, but let's focus on cleaning up the new one for now. Can you please try switching to the Private vault and then select Help from the menu bar > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items?

• dromard
    dromard
    Community Member
    Options

I missed the Tools selection. It worked pretty well, but missed ~30 duplicates. It did catch ~330, though, so it was a very big help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear @dromard! I am happy that the tool helped :)

If things look ok in the new vault now, you can certainly remove the old one if you prefer (from the Vault menu in the menu bar > Delete Vault after switching to the vault you would like to delete).

This discussion has been closed.