Old 1Password never synced - computer died but have all files from old computer

Options
bcarse
bcarse
Community Member

I had a mid-2011 iMac with 1Password. It never synced with my phone. All passwords were saved locally on the iMac but never backed up via Time Machine, or to 1Password website, etc. The old iMac crashed due to a bad power supply. Now, I have a new iMac and have set up 1Password7 on it (subscription acct).

I have the old application of 1Password6 and all the data from my old computer on an external hard drive. Is there anyway to get all the old passwords into my new version of 1Password 7? I cannot import via the new account as the old one is not working anywhere. I just have the files such as helper-logs and sqlite and others.

Is there anyway to get my old passwords from 1Password 6 onto my new iMac?

1Password 6.8.9 on external hard drive - 1Password keeps defaulting to importing from 1Password.com, iCloud, Dropbox and other options - none of which offer bringing in database separately. (unfortunately no form of offsite backup was ever created)

New machine is Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5

I realize if it is possible it will take some work. I'm ready to do whatever is necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bcarse
    bcarse
    Community Member
    Options

When I use Spotlight and search for .sqlite onepassword I get the following file results:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bcarse! Welcome to the forum!

Without a backup, this could be very difficult, but let's see if there is anything else we can do. If you connect your external hard drive, what happens if you simply try to launch the old 1Password 6 app from there?

• bcarse
    bcarse
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thanks ag_ana,
    I know the files exist, just don't know which ones or how to get them imported.
    Here are two images: the first is what I see when I try to launch 1Password6 from the ext hard drive. The second one is what I see when I click More Options:

• bcarse
    bcarse
    Community Member
    Options

When I do a Spotlight Search on This Mac here is just a small selection of what it shows.
    1,827 items and one profile - so it definitely looks like all the passwords, etc. are there. Just need to figure out next steps to retrieve and import.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @bcarse,

The 1p4_zip file is perfect, that's a backup created by 1Password and that will be all we need to get the new copy of 1Password up and running with your previous vault :smile: The following should help get you on track.

1. Using search locate the most recent file that ends in .1p4_zip and copy it to your Desktop on your new iMac for easy location later.
    2. Launch 1Password on the new iMac.
    3. In the splash screen that appears click More Options... and then select the Restore from Backup option.
    4. Click the Choose Backup... button and point 1Password to the .1p4_zip on your Desktop.

Once done 1Password should simply present you with a standard unlock screen and your Master Password from the old iMac should unlock. Now this copy of 1Password doesn't know about your 1Password account yet and so it will start off in read-only mode. It should preset a splash screen with the options and one of the links should ready Already have a membership? Sign in. Select that and sign into the 1Password account you created to kickstart the process of 1Password 7 moving all of your data from your now restored Primary vault to the 1Password account Personal vault and that should be everything.

If anything doesn't go as I've suggested or if I've misunderstood any facet of the situation please let me know and I can tweak the steps to better suit whatever I've missed.

• bcarse
    bcarse
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables - You are a rockstar! Thank you so much for your help. Followed your instructions, step-by-step, and now I have all my passwords and other data all in one account - all synced on multiple devices. It would have been a slow and agonizing process to rebuild/recreate all those logins and passwords.

This forum is the best!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bcarse, on behalf of everyone, you are very welcome!

Thank you for the kind words and we are very happy to hear things are working as expected now.

Have a wonderful day! :)

This discussion has been closed.