License vs Subscription for only one computer and I don't want to sync with my phone or anything els

Options
bbl
bbl
Community Member

Will I have the same experience with a license membership as with a subscription membership? I used to have the license membership but it has expired and I am wanting to sign up again. I would much prefer a license membership, to just keep it local, not on the internet, as I only use 1Passwprd on one computer. I don't want it synced with my phone or with any other computer. So I would definitely like to do the license membership as I had before. But I don't want to miss out on the beauty and simplicity that seems to now be 1Password. Is that beauty and simplicity the same, whether it is a license membership or a subscription membership?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bbl,

A subscription still has some benefits over the standalone license, even if you use it on just one computer. For example, even if you don't want to sync your data on other devices, a subscription still offers you features such as automatic backups, item history and 2-Factor Authentication for your 1Password account.

You will also get every major upgrade included in the price of the subscription in the future, without having to purchase individual licenses every time.

But especially if you are going to use 1Password on just one device, I believe you will benefit a lot from the automatic backups in case something happens to your computer.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @ik8sqi,

Putting aside the 2FA conversation the issue of redundancy is one everybody needs to consider. We've seen more than our fair share of people running 1Password on a single device and through various reasons losing their vault. I know how bad it would be for me if I lost my vault and I doubt its any less for anybody else.

If a person wants to stick with a standalone vault and a licence that's their decision. If you go down that route though you really need to make sure you have backups. If you don't you're basically gambling that you won't ever have a problem and some things, like data sensitive enough to require a password manager isn't worth that risk.

1Password 7 still supports both a licence with standalone vaults as many of our users are accustomed to but it also supports 1Password accounts. For the typical person who doesn't think about things like backups and redundancy the 1Password account is seriously worth considering. If somebody is really against subscriptions or cloud servers then the licence option is still there but it means you need to ensure you have your own backups somewhere to avoid the horror of a loss of device, especially when it is just one device we're talking about.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019
    Options

Sounds good. Have a good day, @ik8sqi.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.