Editing or Creating a password is by default clear text and should be masked

I'd like to edit my passwords through windows client or 1password web site in a masked textbox, not a clear text textbox, by default.
Current UI makes editing/saving of passwords really hard or sometimes (shared screen or open-office environment) impossible.

Environments the issue is occurring: Windows client, 1Password web site. (But possibly every client has the same behavior)

The current behavior is as follows:
When a user wants to edit an existing login's password, the user clicks the "Edit" button, then clicks the "Password" field and the password text is clear text and visible to the user.

This behavior is same for the new login operation (save login) also.

The expected behavior is as follows:
When a user wants to edit an existing login's password, the user clicks the "Edit" button, then clicks the "Password" field and the password text is masked with asterisk and not visible to the user. (There can be an optional checkbox to reveal the password if wanted)

There's a similar post I've found on the exact same issue but despite it's resolution statement, it doesn't seem it's resolved:
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/69123/adding-new-item-shows-password-in-clear-text

The things I've tried:

• Windows client (v. 73684) > Settings > Security > Conceal Passwords is checked (Had no effect on the behavior)

1Password Version: 73684
Extension Version: 1Password X 1.15.7
OS Version: Windows 10 64 bit
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:clear text edit

Comments

• Greetings @beyti,

The thread you linked to did result in a change to 1Password for Windows and it is still present in the most recent version, 1Password 7.3.684 for Windows. From the thread you linked to.

we've shipped an update just now that will mask the sensitive fields by default when you're editing the item. It's not exactly what you want yet with regards to keeping it masked while editing it but it should help in the meantime.

The bold emphasis is mine. This brought 1Password for Windows in line so that all clients behave the same way, the contents of a password field are only visible when it is the active field during edit mode (or if the user has instructed 1Password to reveal the contents.

At the moment there is no way to have an actively edited password field remain concealed and as far as future changes I am unaware of anything in this area. While it is something we can consider I don't know that we've seen any level of interest for this level of secrecy but the forum is a good place for others with a similar opinion to join an ongoing conversation like this one if they agree with you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file