Use 1Password without a subscription [license available in the app]

chidacachidaca
edited August 13 in Purchasing

I've been using it for years but had no plans to subscribe after purchasing. I'd be happy to pay for an upgrade but not a subscription.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 7.3.1
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:without subscri

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @chidaca

Thanks for the question. 1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

At a minimum I'd recommend giving membership a shot using the 30 day trial. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• GonzoGonzo Junior Member
    edited August 1

I have been a long time user of 1Password and have upgraded to every new version. I too have no interest in a subscription service. Keeping an encrypted file for my passwords on my Dropbox account is plenty of security for me. Some products benefit from subscription services. I do not see where 1Password does, and just find it a bald attempt to suck more $$ from me. I will not be "upgrading," which means that unless version 6 continues to be supported, I will be looking for an alternative. Very sad to leave such a useful product, but the business model is just too greedy for me.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @Gonzo

1Password 6 for Mac is no longer being updated. As mentioned in my last post it is possible to license 1Password 7, if you'd prefer. One of the benefits of membership is not having to purchase separate licenses for each platform and each major release: the latest version of 1Password is included for each of your compatible devices. For many folks this works out to be less expensive than licensing. But whichever you prefer is available. :)

Thanks.

Ben

However it appears that if I license 1Password 7 (which I did look at based on your prior mention) that I'm committed to using YOUR cloud to share/sync my password data. I do not find this ideal. It's just one more place in the cloud where my data is located. I have a system that works and you want me to change it for no GOOD reason.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I have a system that works and you want me to change it for no GOOD reason.

We may respectfully disagree about what reasons are good. We feel there are a lot of good reasons for using 1Password.com, many of which are outlined here:

About 1Password membership

But I digress. :)

However it appears that if I license 1Password 7 (which I did look at based on your prior mention) that I'm committed to using YOUR cloud to share/sync my password data.

Quite the opposite. A license doesn't get you access to 1Password.com. With a license you could opt to sync with Dropbox or iCloud if you wish, but not with 1Password.com. That requires a membership.

Ben

• d_stoned_stone
    edited August 2

I think there are still many users who have decided for 1Password because it was and is independent of an online service. It is safe, comfortable and has a nice interface.

I like it very much even a synchronization between my devices only in my WiFi and not use an iCloud or Dropbox.

The fact that there is also iCloud or now your online service is an additional super service. It's just a pity that you neglected the users you grew up with - at least we have the feeling.

I am still willing to pay for upgrades to the standalone license. I am not a fan of subsciptions :(

With a license you could opt to sync with Dropbox or iCloud if you wish, but not with 1Password.com. That requires a membership.

Yes, that fact is ok. ;) – I am fine with that.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@d_stone:

It's just a pity that you neglected the users you grew up with - at least we have the feeling.

Can you please elaborate on what makes you feel like this? Standalone licenses are still available with the option to not sync your data anywhere, so nothing changed on that front. All that changed is us offering an alternative method to use 1Password for folks who prefer that, so everyone can choose to use 1Password the way they prefer.

• It's just a feeling. Because it's all about the cloud and it's hard to tell if there will be standalone licenses in the future.

I know, currently there are still the licenses, but it's all just hidden and you overlook it.

I know the advantages of the membership, but I don't want to change my license and switch to a membership. I have a lot of fun with 1Password and I feel save the way I use it. I trust Agilebits. — With a macOS app, there's always the danger that the app won't be compatible any more.

An official note on your website might help. Or is there a FAQ that I and some users overlook?

• Hi @d_stone,

When we first introduced the 1Password accounts I was a strong supporter of wanting 1Password to treat licences equally to accounts in terms of visibility. The reality is though when we attempted to do so we caused huge amounts of confusion and ultimately frustrated many users where it wasn't needed. We tried a couple of times to get the balance right but never did succeed. I don't want licence users to feel like they're being neglected but the current approach causes less confusion for the majority of our users. It's tough to argue with empirical results. Just to clarify, none of that is based on metrics from 1Password itself, that just isn't something we'd be willing to do. So not great for those people that are still pro licences but it's the best overall position we've found so far.

I also understand and can commiserate with anybody who feels there is no long-term policy in place. I'm unable to offer comment on whatever 1Password 8 may be like let alone beyond that. For some that may be a deal-breaker and everybody has to do whatever is best for them. We haven't announced the removal of standalone vaults though so it isn't a decision that must be made today.

• Thanks for the clear words and understanding to my position (and of the other license user).

I think your great tool is a very important part of my „online life“. Therefore it is extremely important to me to know how reliable I can access my data now and in the future.

I think that's what sets you apart from other software products as you provide the key to the colorful online world.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks so much for the kind words, @d_stone. :)

Therefore it is extremely important to me to know how reliable I can access my data now and in the future.

If you have any questions about that please feel free to ask. Obviously it is a very important subject for us. We wouldn't be in business long if we were at fault for customers losing their data.

Ben

I'll just add that keeping MY PW database on YOUR cloud puts me in a real bind if you guys get hacked, or you go out of business. It's really not a very good solution. I will be migrating - right now it looks like to Enpass, though I'm still researching. It's not the money, though a license is pretty worrisome to those of us who prefer to buy and own our software. It's going from a proven solution to one that requires the ultimate trust. I'm not ready to go there. I'd sooner go back to an
    encrypted notes file, as cumbersome as that would be.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@Gonzo:

I'll just add that keeping MY PW database on YOUR cloud puts me in a real bind if you guys get hacked

Your data is end-to-end encrypted with keys only you have, and this is specifically to protect you in the case of us being hacked. Even if that happened, you would be the only one who would be able to decrypt your data, an attacker would only get the encrypted blob (as your credentials are not stored on our servers).

However, if you prefer to store your data locally without sync, 1Password allows you to do that too.

On the other hand, if your decision is set in stone, I wanted to thank you for being an awesome customer and, no matter what you do, stay safe online!

So in all of this talk about a license option, I have yet to uncover any link to purchasing a license. Clearly you are not interested in giving people this choice without a lot of work to find the option. Why have an option at all if you hide it so deeply? As much as I like and have enjoyed supporting and recommending AgileBits, this definitely does not smack of good faith. As such, it's worrisome.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @Gonzo

There isn't a link. Licenses are sold within the apps themselves. For example, if you'd like a 1Password 7 for Mac license, you'd purchase it within the 1Password 7 for Mac app. As such the only relevant link is the one to download the apps:

Downloads

If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Hi,

I understand that I can only buy the standalone license in the 1Password 7 for Mac application and not via your homepage.

1. How much does it cost (want to know before downloading/upgrading). I can't find any info here or elsewhere.
    2. Can I buy one license that also works for IOS and Windows? If so, how much does that cost?

Regards
    /Mats

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@SEMats

Licenses are regularly priced at $65 USD + tax, but as of writing are on sale for $50 USD + tax for a limited time. 1Password for iOS can be used as a companion app for a licensed copy of 1Password for Windows or 1Password for Mac at no additional cost.

Ben

• I've really enjoyed using 1Password, and I've encouraged many work colleagues to use it, but $50 seems steep for existing licensed users of 1Password6 that simply want to continue using local sync. At a release cadence of 18 months that seems spookily close to being the exact same cost as the subscription (without the benefits of the subscription).
    It seems to me that you really don't want your original customers any more.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @brown_midas

There are definitely a lot of advantages to upgrading to a membership, not least of which is the value. As you say, for many people the subscription will be on par, if not less, than the cost of licenses. If you're interested in a membership I'd recommend reaching out to our sales team at [email protected]. We'd definitely love to have our existing customers move forward with us, and we feel membership is going to be the best way to do that. If you prefer though, licensing is still an option, but we do have to price it in a way that makes it feasible to continue offering it.

I hope you'll find that what we're offering is worth the cost. Ultimately of course it is up to each individual to determine the value that 1Password provides them and if "the juice is worth the squeeze," as it were.

Ben

• Patrick_CPatrick_C Junior Member

@ag_ana

Can you please elaborate on what makes you feel like this? Standalone licenses are still available with the option to not sync your data anywhere, so nothing changed on that front. All that changed is us offering an alternative method to use 1Password for folks who prefer that, so everyone can choose to use 1Password the way they prefer.

What bothers me about your business behaviour is that all this is hidden : how can we trust you if nothing is clearly exposed on your website? How can we be confident in you to protect our data if there no clear developpement plan?

Just look a how many question you have on this forum about the single license, and it will be clear that you have to be more clear on your website : the search for this information must no longer be a way of the cross

• brentybrenty

Team Member

While ultimately the cost/benefit analysis is going to be very personal, one thing is clear: 1Password isn't worth paying for at all unless you're going to use it. And since using it necessitates installing it and running it, that's where you'll get the option to purchase a license, if you've set it up as "standalone". We don't want to sell licenses to people with memberships (which already include everything), and it caused a lot of hassle for a lot more people back when it was possible to purchase licenses without actually needing them. That's what we're trying to avoid, and while not perfect, this is the best approach we've found so far to do so. Hence, we sell standalone licenses in the app when it's setup to use that way.

As far as protecting data, our security model has not changed: We never have access to it. Period. It's encrypted locally on the user's device, and the "keys" to decrypt it are never transmitted to us. You may think I'm talking about "standalone", 1Password memberships, etc. depending on your thought process and/or expectations, but that's literally how we've done things for over a decade now. The only difference being that we now also have a comprehensive 1Password membership option that includes all the apps and updates, and no sync configuration or license management, which has the additional security of the (128-bit, randomly-generated) Secret Key.

• What step to ipassword without subcription

• brentybrenty

Team Member

We don't recommend or promote using 1Password as a standalone app because a 1Password membership is by far a better experience for most users, but licenses are available in the app when setup with a standalone vault, as discussed above.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file