1Password X and mutiple accounts

I have 2 1Password accounts setup (Corporate, Personal). When I log in using the app both unlock with one of the master passwords seamlessly. In X the behavior was similar until recently. (actually, it been happening a while)

Not sure what may have changed. Now I must unlock both separately in the extension. One unlocks when I click the icon and enter that master password. Then I must click the icon again, then click the gear, then click Settings, then scroll down and click on the locked account, then enter the other master password.

This gets really annoying after doing it several times a day. Have I got a setting wrong or is this expected behavior now?

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 1.15.6
OS Version: MacOS 10.15
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ktollison,

Can I ask, do you use the same Master Password for both 1Password accounts? If they're different then I would expect 1Password X to only unlock one, requiring that you unlock the second independently. 1Password X is still quite new and there are likely areas where we need a bit more time to bring it in line with the other clients.

With 1Password for Mac a lot of the code goes all the way back to 1Password 4 for Mac and the notion that there is a Primary vault whose password unlocks everything. That concept was retained so that even if you only have 1Password accounts connected to it one is still held as being the master, allowing all the others to unlock at the same time.

We are looking at creating an integration between 1Password X and the native client if present so ultimately that work may help here too once it is ready.

• Master passwords are different for each account. Maybe it was the original 1password extension not X that worked that way. Don't recall when I switched.

It would nice to have the primary vault function on X like the main app.

Thanks for the response

• kaitlynkaitlyn

Team Member

@ktollison – Thanks for that feedback! The desktop-dependent 1Password extension runs off of 1Password for Mac, so that one will unlock all of your accounts with one Master Password just like the desktop app. If you'd like to see the same behavior in 1Password X, you'd have to have the same Master Password for both of your accounts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file