To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrade questions, version 6 to subscription model

DeltaSeven
DeltaSeven
Community Member
edited August 2019 in Memberships

I've been running 1Password version 6 for over four years. I purchased from the Apple App Store because we wanted to use iCloud syncing. Both myself and wife run 1Password on all our devices (Mac and iOS). My son purchased his own copy at the same time and also uses iCloud syncing.

Now I read that the Safari extension in version 6 will stop working in the next Mac OS release, Catalina.

I think I've figured out that the best upgrade route for my wife and I is the $3/month family plan.

My son is open to upgrading but wants to continue to use iCloud syncing. My wife and I also would probably continue to use iCloud syncing if possible.

Questions:

1) Can one sync with iCloud if they upgrade to the subscription model?

2) Can one sync with iCloud if they purchase the stand-alone license?

3) The migrating your data instructions say, near the end, to "delete your old vault." Does that mean that under the subscription model my data only resides in the 1Password cloud? If so, what happens if the 1Password cloud is down or I don't have Internet access? Does that mean I can't access my 1Password data?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @DeltaSeven

Welcome to the forum. :) I'd be happy to help with those questions.

1) Can one sync with iCloud if they upgrade to the subscription model?

While it would be possible to subscribe to a 1Password membership and utilize standalone vaults synced with iCloud with it that would not be a solution we'd recommend. You'd lose out on a number of the features available within memberships that by their nature necessitate having your encrypted data synced with 1Password.com. One of the primary reasons we started offering the membership service was the high demand for such features (e.g. the ability to share some 1Password data between family members).

What would be the logic behind using a generic cloud storage solution (iCloud) vs a custom tailored service (1Password.com) for your 1Password data, particularly if you are paying for the membership service?

2) Can one sync with iCloud if they purchase the stand-alone license?

Yes. iOS and Macs can sync 1Password data via iCloud. Windows and Android devices cannot.

3) The migrating your data instructions say, near the end, to "delete your old vault." Does that mean that under the subscription model my data only resides in the 1Password cloud? If so, what happens if the 1Password cloud is down or I don't have Internet access? Does that mean I can't access my 1Password data?

Regardless of how you sync, your 1Password data is cached on each device you have 1Password on. Without internet access changes won't sync (until you reconnect), but otherwise you'd be able to access your data as normal.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member

Ben, thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to make a list of the features one loses when you sync to something other than the 1Password cloud. Or, feel free to post your thoughts on this subject. :)

One additional question...can one sync to iCloud when they purchase the stand-alone license on the Mac App Store? Or, put another way, are there any differences between the stand-alone license versions from the Mac App Store and direct from Agile Bits?

I appreciate your help and info!

• Ben, thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to make a list of the features one loses when you sync to something other than the 1Password cloud. Or, feel free to post your thoughts on this subject. :)

Off-hand...

I'm sure there are a few I'm forgetting, but those seem to be the highlights.

One additional question...can one sync to iCloud when they purchase the stand-alone license on the Mac App Store? Or, put another way, are there any differences between the stand-alone license versions from the Mac App Store and direct from Agile Bits?

Standalone licenses cannot be purchased from the Mac App Store. The Mac App Store version of 1Password works exclusively with memberships.

If there is anything else I can do, please let me know. :+1:

Ben

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member

Ben, thanks again. I'm almost done with my questions.

1) Where on the AgileBits web site does one purchase the stand-alone version? I seem to recall reading that it's done in the app, one can select the subscription model or stand-alone version. Correct?

2) On the Mac App Store I find "Family Sharing. Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled. In-app purchases can't be shared with family members." Is the subscription itself considered an in-app purchase? Something else? Or is this just standard verbiage on the Mac App Store?

• @DeltaSeven

1) Where on the AgileBits web site does one purchase the stand-alone version? I seem to recall reading that it's done in the app, one can select the subscription model or stand-alone version. Correct?

Correct, it is done within the 1Password 7 app once installed rather than through the website. Each person would need their own license:

Download for Mac

In addition, if anyone is using Windows, that would be a separate purchase as well. With a membership the latest versions of all of the apps are included.

Or is this just standard verbiage on the Mac App Store?

Essentially this. As far as I know we don't have a way to opt out of that language appearing on the listing for 1Password in the App Store. The app itself is free to download, so Apple's Family Sharing isn't really applicable. If it cost money to download the app then that would be different. The mechanism of sharing your 1Password Families membership with your family is through us, not Apple. We have a guide on it here:

https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/

Ben

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member

Ben, many thanks. I'll be upgrading to the membership plan soon...before Catalina ships. Pretty sure my son will too. He may stick with iCloud syncing, but now feels the best path forward is the membership plan.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @DeltaSeven! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help during the upgrade process, or if you have any other questions and we will be happy to help you.

For now, have a wonderful weekend :)

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member

Update: my son purchased the current version on the Mac App Store last night. He said there were no surprises during the process. He said something about "some" stuff being stored on the 1Password cloud but then later he was able to skip the 1Password cloud and use iCloud syncing.

I plan on getting the Family plan for my wife and I soon, sometime in the next few days.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! :+1:

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member

To wrap this up, I upgraded to 1Password v7 three days ago. No surprises, though it seemed the process was a bit more complicated than I had expected. I don't recall the specifics and I had my son (who had upgraded a day or two before) here to make the process easier.

My wife and I have always used somewhat weak passwords as our master password. Convenience over security. Now, using 2FA and Authy, I feel better about what would happen if someone tried to access our 1Password data. They would be on an un-trusted device and be asked for the 2FA information...which they wouldn't have.

It's nice to be able to share a vault with my wife. This, to me, is the biggest reason to upgrade to version 7.

• Thanks for the update @DeltaSeven. I'm glad to hear you were able to get upgraded and that you're already enjoying some of the benefits of membership. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.