1Password 7 - Backing Up Backup Files

Options
09aps
09aps
Community Member

I recently upgraded to 1Password 7 and now have a problem backing up my backup files. With 1Password 6, I would do it manually and go into Application Support then my Backups folder.

But now, when I go into Application Support, I can't find any folder to access my backup files for 1Password 7. How can I find them?

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: 7.3.1
OS Version: OS Mojave 10.14.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• 09aps
    09aps
    Community Member
    Options

Update: If I open 1 Password 7, go to Preferences, then Backup, I can find the Show Files icon. I click on it and can now directly access the backup file that I need in order to make a copy manually.

However, when I take the following path, the file doesn't appear: Finder > Application Support > 1 Password 4 > Backups. (Where is 1Password 7 in Application Support?)

• 09aps
    09aps
    Community Member
    Options

Update 2: I figured it out. From Finder, I just needed to go to Group Containers and proceed from there.

• Ben
    Options

Hey @09aps

I'm glad to hear you were able to find a solution. For anyone else reading, this should get you in the right ballpark:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password

If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• hopet
    hopet
    Community Member
    Options

Hello everyone,
    I am a membership user. Where can I find the Backup on my Mac?
    Holger

• Ben
    Options

Hi @hopet

1Password membership doesn't offer local backups at this time, but it does have a local cache, which would be in the same folder I mentioned above.

Ben

• hopet
    hopet
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    You mean the zip-files in the subdirectory /AccountExports?
    Is there a guideline how I can restore my password data if the agilebits server is not reachable (down/behind firewall/blocked)?
    Holger

• Ben
    Options

@hopet

You mean the zip-files in the subdirectory /AccountExports?

Not those, no. In ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password there is a Data folder that contains the local cache of your encrypted 1Password data.

Is there a guideline how I can restore my password data if the agilebits server is not reachable (down/behind firewall/blocked)?

That happens automatically by design. There is no manual intervention needed. If you're offline (or we are), you'll still be able to work from the offline cache. Try it: turn on AirPlane Mode. That way there is no way that you're talking to our servers. You'll still be able to access your data in the 1Password for Mac app. :+1:

Ben

• hopet
    hopet
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben
    Ah, yes, thank you for your explanations.
    I just saw that I can also export my passwords if necessary. That's reassuring.
    Thank you very much :) .

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome. :)

Ben

• pattinson_james
    pattinson_james
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben

Can I delete the older ones as currently they are using 7GB of disk storage. Or do they self delete after x number of backups or y time frame?

James

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pattinson_james:

You are free to delete older backups if you don't need them anymore. Just make sure there is really nothing that you need there before you remove them :+1:

• pattinson_james
    pattinson_james
    Community Member
    Options

Question: why would a backup even be needed if all data is synced to your cloud? Also I see no option to restore from a backup in the application. Seems to be bit if a lack of clarity around the subject reading other threads as well. Your help much appreciated!

• Ben
    Options

@pattinson_james

The backups on the 1Password.com service are great, and are often plenty for most folks, but they cannot be restored while you (or we) are offline. Some folks are interested in having truly offline backups, and what you're seeing there is the first step toward that. Also, you're right, these aren't really "backups" at this point as there is no way to restore them. We'd like to be able to offer true offline backups at some point, we're just not there yet.

Thanks.

Ben

• ddaddy
    ddaddy
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Ben, thanks for your response but Internet connectivity is not always an option. I first starting using 1Password in 2007 and loved it from the beginning. I understand Agilebits move into the Cloud, and I do have a cloud account, but it only supports recently created data. With over 12 years of backed up data it would be ideal for me to be able to sync or update through a local backup/restore process. Unfortunately currently as highlighted in this post 1Password has deprecated that functionally. Please, please bring back local the backup/restore process!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi @ddaddy

Your point is well taken please please try to avoid posting the same message in multiple threads. I already responded to you here, and am awaiting your reply. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.