Works with Chrome ONLY if there's already a window open.

Options
godbout
godbout
Community Member
edited February 2021 in Mac

This has been driving me nuts for months and I finally took some hours to look for patterns. So, 1Password 7 behaves normally with Chrome ONLY if there's at least one window open. If the app is closed or if it's open but without any window, it behaves erratically. Sometimes 1Password will not open a window and the site requested at all (through Alfred or through 1P mini), sometimes it will open a window but not fill anything, sometimes it will fill but after submitting it will refresh the page without the logins info (so the info is not submitted).

It works perfectly fine with Safari. Tried also opening in current tab, new tab, new window, but all fail with Chrome.

It would be nice if you could confirm as this has been going on for a while and really worsen the experience of using 1Password. I've seen some reports here and there, like on the Alfred forum, but I finally can confirm that is not related to Alfred. Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.1 (70301007) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6 (18G84)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @godbout!

Can you please confirm what version of Chrome this is happening with?

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_ana. Latest version of Chrome: Version 76.0.3809.87 (Official Build) (64-bit). Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @godbout,

Based on my testing just now it appears a bug crept into 1Password 7.3.1 as open-and-fill with no Chrome window seems to be working reliably in 7.3 but the same isn't true in 7.3.1 I've discovered we already have a bug report filed and hopefully knowing it was a recent change we can quickly locate what change is behind the bad behaviour.

ref: apple-3972

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent! Looking forward. Thanks.

• SGood
    SGood
    Community Member
    Options

Good as this is really annoying and I am using Safari and Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

• Ben
    Options

Hi @SGood

Do you mean you're using Safari until the issue with Chrome can be addressed, or that you are experiencing a similar issue with Safari? The bug that littlebobbytables mentioned above only affects Chrome, not Safari, as far as we're aware.

Ben

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

Safari works fine for me.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Same here @godbout, hopefully Ben's thinking is what is irking SGood, that they've switched over to using Safari until we've got it fixed. I know changing browsers to accommodate something like a bug would be frustrating, heck switching browsers can be a pain if you've used a particular one for some time.

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I find it quite painful too. But I'm also surprised that no one seemed to have reported this before. It is quite a workflow destroyer :D

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@godbout: if you find yourself with no tabs open very often, I bet it is! Thank you for your patience while we get to the bottom of this :)

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

hello there. any news on that? seems awfully long... i guess that's because i use 1password ALL THE TIME! :))

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not yet @godbout, we are still working on this, so thank you for your patience. Please keep an eye out on the release notes to see when this has been implemented :)

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

still not working in the latest update.

• Ben
    Options

@godbout

We're aware; thanks for the report. We haven't tracked this one down yet. I don't have an ETA on an update for a fix at this time. We're continuing to investigate. Thanks.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#3972

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

up! still not working. it's been like 7/8 months? :D

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@godbout:

Please keep an eye out on the release notes. Once we have a fix for this, we will mention it in the release notes.

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

yes thanks @ag_ana, i do, for each release. i'm just surprised it hasn't been working for so long, while it was working on previous versions. also i believe that something so important should affect quite a high number of users. i'm surprised it is not a priority. anyways, thanks for the continuous answers. but i'll keep posting every three months 😅️

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood @godbout :+1: And thank you for your patience so far :)

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

quarterly update. still doesn't open a chrome window/tab if there's none already open. this affects me several times daily.

• Ben
    Options

@godbout

I asked about this today and unfortunately I still don't have much to report. Progress has been slow. It is still on the radar though and hopefully some of the other work we're doing surrounding the extensions will make a fix for this more feasible.

Ben

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

thanks Ben. i'm surprised this is not kind of a top priority. i'm wondering then, is this just happening to me? whether i use 1Password mini or i go through Alfred, the same thing happens (which is, nothing). what a pain. surprised there's no more reports about it. thanks anyways.

• Ben
    Options

@godbout

It isn't just you. We're in a bit of a transition period. We currently have two extensions: 1Password (desktop app required), and 1Password X. Our development cycles have been focused on the latter. Ideally these two would eventually merge, so that we aren't in a position of having to divide our development resources across two separate projects. That's what's holding this up - 1Password X has been the priority. I wish I could say for sure when/if this will be fixed in the 1Password (desktop app required) extension, or when/if the two will merge, but we just don't have that information at this time. I'm sorry I can't be more definitive.

Ben

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

sorry Ben, i'm confused now. i thought that the 1Password mini was the way to go now, rather than a Chrome extension. did i miss something?

• Ben
    Options

1Password mini is a component of 1Password for Mac. You still need a browser extension if you want 1Password to be able to fill into web pages: either 1Password (desktop app required) or 1Password X (you have the former). The former communicates with 1Password for Mac and so it can do things like lock and unlock at the same time as the desktop app. 1Password X does not require or communicate with our desktop applications and instead talks directly to 1Password.com. It was originally designed for people who could not or did not want to install a 1Password desktop app, such as Linux users and users in restrictive corporate environments. Since then it has had widespread adoption and the use case has broadened. We have integration with 1Password for Mac in beta in 1Password X, which will more closely align the feature sets of the two extensions, but there is still a lot of work to do.

Ben

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

3 months update. it's been a year :))

• Hi @godbout

I'm sorry I don't have more encouraging news but as it stands there are no plans to address this in the current generation of 1Password. My suggestions, in no particular order, would be to either:

1. Use 1Password X to replace the 1Password (desktop app required) extension and 1Password for Mac
    2. Start your workflow from within your web browser (launch the browser first) instead of from 1Password
    3. Use Firefox of Safari, which do not seem to exhibit this issue

I understand this is not the desired outcome, and I apologize that we weren't able to do more here.

Ben

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

hi @Ben,

my default browser is Safari. but i use Chrome for development. sometimes even if all my Chrome tabs are closed, Chrome is still in the foreground, without a window. in that case, 1Password will not launch in my default Safari browser, but will try to create a window/tab in Chrome instead (which doesn't work).

i mainly use only my keyboard. i start all my workflows in Alfred. but i had issue with 1Password (reported in another post), so for 1Password, i've switched to your own kinda launcher. but i'm still having this issue with Chrome. i'm surprised it's still not taken more seriously as it seems it's been affecting many users, for a least a year.

i will try 1Password X again. i've tried the last time you mentioned, but had several issues. i don't remember what exactly, but probably the usual shortcuts didn't work: Ctrl+N/P to go up or down choices, standard shortcuts in all macOS but it didn't work in 1Password X. i'm not shy of paying for tools that make my workflow better and help me save time. but if i have to leave the keyboard and use my mouse to select a login, sorry, then that app is out of the picture unfortunately.

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

ok so i've tried 1Password X again and yep, shortcut issues, at least. can't pick up a login choice with Ctrl+n/p. the user experience is way worse than with the 1Password extension, sorry.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@godbout:

With 1Password X, as soon as you tab on the login form, the inline menu appears: at that point, you can select the login you want with the arrow keys, so you can still do everything without leaving the keyboard. Would this help a little?

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

thanks @ag_ana. yes, i'm aware of this. but as a developer, i barely move my hands out of the middle row. it's quite common for developers. reaching for the arrows is like picking up the mouse. all proper menu items, dropdown etc are working with Ctrl+p/n. even the 1Password app :)) unfortunately 1Password X doesn't. but alright, it seems this will not get fixed so i'll have to find another way. thanks.

This discussion has been closed.