SYNCING BETWEEN MAC AND IOS DEVICES

Options
captsls
captsls
Community Member

I may be wrong but I believe I read when updating to 1Password7 that it would be syncing between devices through icloud. Previously, for me it was through Dropbox. Is that the case? If so, I'd like to delete the 1Password files in my dropBox.

Thanks

Steve

1Password Version: version 7.3.1
Extension Version: 7.3.1
OS Version: Mohave
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:syncing

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @captsls

I'm not sure what you might've read, but unless you've intentionally changed from Dropbox to iCloud the act of upgrading to 1Password 7 wouldn't have any effect on that. You can check where your 1Password data is syncing to in:

• iOS: 1Password > Settings > Sync
    • Mac: 1Password > Preferences > Sync

If you do not have a Sync option in Settings / Preferences then you are using a 1Password membership account, which syncs with 1Password.com. If you are using a 1Password membership you can (and should) delete any standalone vaults so that you do not have a Sync option. Instructions can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@CliffGudgeon

Yes, once you've upgraded to a 1Password membership you should stop using Dropbox for 1Password data, and all of your devices should be signed into your 1Password account. The cleanest way to do this after the fact (rather than as part of the upgrade process) is to uninstall 1Password for iOS and then reinstall it:

1Password for iOS on the App Store

Once installed launch it and from the welcome screen select the option to sign in to your existing 1Password.com account. Please note that you'll lose any data that isn't in your 1Password account (e.g. visible on your Mac) by doing this. If you've added or modified data on the iPhone since upgrading you'll want to copy those details over onto your Mac before doing this. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• captsls
    captsls
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben
    Thanks for your message of 8/3. Sorry, I just found it.

I checked my iOS devices and my Mac and I don’t have a sync option in 1PW7 in any of them.

I am not sure what a membership account is. I purchased 1PW in 2014 or 2015 but when version 7 came out, I purchased an annual subscription. In 1PW7 preferences it says I am “subscribed”

1. Is the subscription the same as a membership and am I now syncing thru 1Password.com? I did sign in to my.1password.com on my iPhone and iPad and Mac when I originally subscribed.
    2. I have 1 vault in my name in 1PW preferences but there is a sub-directory under my name called “personal “which is the vault for saving and 1PW preferences indicates always open to personal. Is that the way it should be setup?
    3. MOST IMPORTANTLY., the Url you gave me regarding migrating 1password accounts…. do I really have to sign in on all my devices choose vault and delete vault. Sounds pretty scary to me. I have 359 logins saved over the last 4 plus years that I don’t want to lose.
    4. Lastly is it good to sync thru 1Password.com or do I need the option of syncing thru iCloud and dropbox? If your answer is yes, can I delete my 1Password files in DropBox?

Thanks for your help

Steve

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @captsls,

So the annual subscription does mean you have a 1Password account, that's our only subscription based service. A large part of what the service is providing is to remove all need to worry about sync as our server becomes the source of all your encrypted data and it has been designed based on only ever receiving encrypted data.

The Personal vault in a 1Password account is the 1Password account equivalent of the Primary vault when you had only standalone vaults. In a 1Password Families account the Personal vault is only visible to that person even if you have other vaults set up to be shared between the family members. Once everything has been successfully migrated to the 1Password account any sync data in either iCloud or Dropbox can be safely deleted, its previous purpose now being fulfilled by our server.

Since we first introduced 1Password accounts we have made the migration a lot less painful. It used to be you would need to manually copy everything over and then delete the standalone vaults from every device. The reason is in part because with standalone vaults each copy of 1Password is isolated and so they had no way of communicating something as large as delete all the standalone vaults. I believe the most recent versions of 1Password for Mac and iOS do try to automate some of the vault removal but this would only apply to users creating a new 1Password account for the first time.

If any copy of 1Password displays a Personal vault and you can see all of your data in it then deleting the standalone vault elsewhere should not place you in any risk. A sanity check would be if you can see all of your data from the web interface for the 1Password account, accessible at https://my.1password.com/signin

I hope this places you at ease but please, if you still have any concerns or doubts, either ones I've not addressed sufficiently or at all or if something I've written generates follow-up questions do let us know and we'll do our best to help.

• captsls
    captsls
    Community Member
    Options

I've logged into my.1Password.com and all my data is there.

I logged in to 1PW on all my devices and in each case when I select Vaults it shows personal not Primary. Everything is syncing fine through 1PW so I don't believe I have any stand alone vaults to delete.

There is an option to Enable Standalone Vaults which I have not done. Everything seems fine to me. Please let me know if I am mistaken.

Thanks for your help Ben

• Ben
    Options

It sounds like everything is in order @captsls. :) If there is anything else we can help with please let us know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.