Moving from 1Password 4 to 7, not clear on how the stand-alone pricing will work.

I use 1Password 4 on Windows 10, macOS Mojave, and iOS (pair of iPhone 7s). I am ready to upgrade to 1Password 7.

I do not like idea of memberships but I might consider it.
My focus now is how much will it cost me if I go stand-alone licensing.

I gather that my iOS 1Password app will work with 1Password 7 (or won't it?) and need not repurchase it.
It is not clear if I will need to purchase separate stand-alone licenses for Windows and macOS apps. With 1Password 4 I did not need to, 1 license worked for both. Is that still the same case with 1Password 7?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Great idea to upgrade to 1Password 7, it's a great product on all platforms in my opinion.

It is not clear if I will need to purchase separate stand-alone licenses for Windows and macOS apps. With 1Password 4 I did not need to, 1 license worked for both. Is that still the same case with 1Password 7?

That was a special offer when the windows version was still quite new and not a mature product as far as I remember. For 1Password 7 the license always covers one platform, thus you'd have to purchase 1 license for Windows and one for macOS (Currently on sale for 50$+VAT each). Since the membership is priced very reasonable in my opinion (especially the family version, but that of course is only true if your family wants to use it), especially in your case the membership is the cheapest option going forward. Considering the license usually only covers 1 version and that 1Password 7 is already approaching 7.4, I think with the membership you are going to be much more future proof.

I had a hard time to transition to the subscription-model but in the case of 1Password it is really justified. The team has the resources to always maintain the product (especially important since security improvements often aren't "sexy" features for a changelog that justify buying a new license) and the sync service they have built is rock solid. It had 0 issues since I started using it in January, it is super fast and the web-access and especially 1Password X (Stand-Alone-Browser-Extension for Chrome and Firefox, great for company computers where you cannot install apps) are great additions that are not possible with the stand-alone version. You can also look into some of my older posts as answers to questions similar to yours if you want some more details :).

Have a nice evening!

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @macruf2000!

@peacekeeper is spot on here :) I also recommend considering the Membership option because of all the features it offers: everything is included with memberships. All the devices you need are included for free, sync happens automatically, backups are taken care of straight away, everything you would expect is there. You get storage for secured documents, item history, watchtower, travel mode, ease of sharing with your family, team or business should you want to upgrade from an individuals membership later on and more.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file