Changed to 1Password.com account, opens on all but 1 device

Options
cnowack
cnowack
Community Member

I switched over from Dropbox to 1Password.com last night. Everything seem to work right. This morning I tried to open 1Password on my Mac and it turn red and jiggles. I opened it on my iPhone and it opened just fine, my wife's iPhone and her Mac open up also with that same password, just not my Mac. How can that be? Did I change some setting on my Mac that makes it no longer recognize the master password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cnowack!

Did you by chance leave your old Primary vault on your Mac? To confirm this, are you able to unlock this specific 1Password app with your old Master Password?

• cnowack
    cnowack
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana, thanks for responding. I didn't change the Master Password.

In Short, works on 2 iPhones, 2iPads and 1 Mac Mini, doesn't work on another Mac Mini or new iMac.

Yesterday, I got a new iMac and set it up and tried to install 1Password, but it won't work there either. I even got a new emergency kit from my wife's old Mac and copied and pasted all the info and it says somethings invalid. I'm using the same Master Password that got me in on the machine that gave me the emergency kit. I'm kind of freaking out, what if it decides to stop working on my other devices and I lose all my passwords? I sent an email with a screen shot showing the emergency kit and the message denying my login. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Cliff

• Ben
    Options

Cliff,

I'm using the same Master Password that got me in on the machine that gave me the emergency kit.

Did you use 1Password to fill your Master Password on 1Password.com, or did you type it? If you look in your Login items for an item for 1Password.com there should be one, and it should contain the Master Password that you need. This may be different than what you use to unlock the 1Password apps. If you have a vault called "Primary" on any of your devices (you can check in the vault switcher at the top left of the app) then 1Password is unlocking with the password of that vault, rather than your 1Password.com account password.

The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added. For this reason we strongly recommend deleting the Primary vault when upgrading to a 1Password membership. If you need instructions for doing that they can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Also, I don't see that we've received any recent emails from you. Could you please let me know what support ID you received back from BitBot when you emailed in?

Ben

• cnowack
    cnowack
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, I do have a Primary vault on my iPhone. I found "1Password Account" that was created last Friday. It has the password that I used to set up 1Password.com which is the same as in the emergency kit, but that doesn't work on my Mac either. I've repeatedly logged in on my wife's old Mac using our original Master Password, and I can log into 1Password.com in the browser using this new password that I generated last Friday, but neither work on my Mac or the new iMac. Don't understand why I can get in on the other devices but not this one and I can't set it up on the new one. I'm probably missing something really basic.

I can delete the Primary vault from my iPhone or my wife's old Mac, does that delete it everywhere or do I have to do that from each device/computer. I'm pretty sure I disabled it on my Mac before it stopped working because my passwords were all doubled. But I did the same on my iPhone and it still works there.

Sorry about the email, I sent it from the new iMac while I was trying to set it up in my wife's office and so it was from her email. The Support ID was HJB-56663-498

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @cnowack,

Deleting a Primary vault on one device doesn't delete it anywhere else I'm afraid, it is something that will need to be performed on each device.

If the 1Password account already has a copy of everything, your vaults in the web interface appear correct and up-to-date then if there is a copy of 1Password that you cannot access then you could start over. We have steps for the various versions on our support page How to reset your 1Password data and start over. You would only ever want to do this though if you know this copy doesn't contain anything that wasn't elsewhere.

If anything wasn't clear, I missed any part of the question or you simply have follow-up questions please do let us know :smile:

This discussion has been closed.