Can't uninstall 1Password from MacOS High Sierra

Options
LMD
LMD
Community Member

The item "1Password 7 " can't be moved to the Trash because its open.
From Finder, Force Quit confirms it isn't open.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
macbook Pro late 2011
1Password 7.3

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can't uninstall 1Password 7 from macOS

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LMD!

I think 1Password Mini is still running on your machine. Can you please quit 1Password completely by right-clicking on 1Password Mini in your menu bar and clicking on Quit 1Password Completely?

• LMD
    LMD
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have 1Password mini running. Force Quit indicated that 1Password wasn't running.

It appears that the Extension Helper was running in the background, as shown in activity monitor. Once I killed the process, I could uninstall 1Password. I think this process had not successfully closed down from a previous session.

Since killing the process, and reinstalling, I find that 1Password no longer appears to try to open on startup. Is the issue with Extension Helper hanging up and 1Password trying to open on startup connected? (Not in login items).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LMD:

Under 1Password Preferences > Browsers tab, do you have the Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running option enabled?

• LMD
    LMD
    Community Member
    Options

No. Extension Helper option is disabled.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Can you please try enabling it @LMD?

• LMD
    LMD
    Community Member
    Options

Yes - I've just enabled the 1Password mini Safari extension, and enabled extension helper.
    In activity monitor I now see 1Password7, the mini (I assume), and the Extension Helper are open.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LMD: that sounds right. Is everything working fine now?

• LMD
    LMD
    Community Member
    Options

It is all working fine now thanks, and I no longer have the issue with 1Password 7 appearing to attempt to load on startup since reinstalling 1Password 7.

No 1Password processes (mini or Extension Helper) running on startup.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Perfect, thank you for the update @LMD :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• LMD
    LMD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your responses ag_ana.

1Password processes are running in the background on startup, (without 1Password appearing in Login Items, and the option to load open windows on startup is deselected.) There are mentions of the program loading automatically on startup on the forum, but I haven't quickly found any mention that this is normal behaviour (is it?).

It would be useful if support could provide a readily available comment/notes in Help or by some other method for other mac users to explain this is the way the program operates. I'm personally not happy that 1Password 7 processes open automatically in the background on startup. I can't Force Quit the program, and I don't like that it isn't "controlled" from Login Items, and I don't appear to have an option to request that 1Password 7 processes don't load on startup from within 1Password 7. Am I missing something?

My last attempt to fix my mac startup, blue screen, grey screen, striped screen issues before reformatting the disk was to kill 1Password 7 processes from Activity Monitor (Extension Helper appeared to have frozen) and reinstall 1Password 7. I haven't had a problem since reinstalling 1Password 7. I can't verify any link between the two issues and I'm not interested in spending time trying to troubleshoot an issue I'm not really qualified to solve.

(My attempts to fix the mac included First Aid from recovery mode, reinstalling mac OS High Sierra, resetting NVRam and SMC. No issues detected with the startup disk using First Aid).

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2019
    Options

@LMD

In order for the browser extensions to work 1Password must be running, which is why it runs on startup. This portion of the app isn't visible. If you don't want to have 1Password run on startup you can disable the "always keep 1Password extension helper running" option, but then the browser extensions will not work reliably.

I'm not sure what issues you're referring to, or how/if they're related to 1Password... could you please clarify if there is anything else we can help with?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.