Changes to the Dropbox business model [and how they affect 1Password customers]

edited August 7 in Purchasing

As someone who purchased a stand alone 1password license on every available platform, Mac, Windows etc, I kinda feel ripped off that since dropbox stopped free accounts on more than 2 devices, these 1password licenses are rendered useless. I'm happy to buy licences and upgrades but simply don't do the recurrent billing thing. Of course, I realize this was Dropbox's decision, but I feel like 1password should do the right thing by its customers and provide an alternative, like preferably, google drive, rather than leave customers with useless licenses. Otherwise after well over 10 years, I'll have to move on to some other program.

1Password Version: 7.3.705
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: all
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @xpusostomos,

I'm really sorry to hear we've made you feel that way. As you mentioned this was entirely Dropbox's decision, and not something they consulted us on. This is part of the problem with relying on 3rd party services... what they offer is subject to change at any time. That said I'm not sure it is fair to say that 1Password licenses have been rendered useless. Many customers are still using licenses and syncing with iCloud or Dropbox (either with the limitation, or by upgrading to one of their paid accounts). That said, we do offer an alternative: 1Password membership. Membership has no limit on the number of devices you can use and is a custom tailored solution for syncing 1Password data. It also offers a lot of features that we were unable to offer through 3rd party generic cloud storage/sync services (such as secure sharing). You can read more about what we're able to offer with membership here:

About 1Password membership

We don't have any plans to build support for additional 3rd party solutions at this time. There would be nothing preventing the same or similar thing that happened with Dropbox happening anywhere else. Additionally we can't justify taking development resources, which are already a limited commodity, away from building a more flexible solution to build a less flexible one. Instead we're focused on making 1Password membership the best offering that we can.

Our sales team would be happy to discuss the particularly of your individual situation and to outline what an upgrade to that would look like for you. Please feel free to reach out to them at [email protected] with copies of any receipts you have for 1Password.

We'll look forward to your email. :+1:

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file