Password Generator password length

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @break80 ,

Thanks for the additional details.
    Are you able to copy/paste into password fields on other websites? It sounds like Costco's "new password" field may be preventing copy/pasting to make sure users know what the new password is by manually typing it. Are you able to paste anything into that field? Copy some random text from anywhere and test.

If you find that you cannot paste anything at all into that field, this is not related to 1Password but rather to Costco's restrictions on that field.
    When you select the suggested password that 1Password X offers, it does not copy paste, but rather injects the password directly into the field's HTML code, which is why it works.

Let us know what you find.

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

@Yaron

Looks like it was probably Costco and not 1Password. I have since used this feature since I had the Costco problem. When do you think 1Password X will allow more characters?

I have also run into issues where different sites have different rules as to which special characters are allowed and which are not, with no way in 1Password to change to something the site likes with special characters. I doubt adding more flexibility to 1Password is the answer because every site seems to be different. My workaround is to paste the generated password into a text file (actually in OneNote which is always open on my computer), manually alter to fit the site rules, then copy/paste as the new password. That works for me. Thanks

break80

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @break80 ,

Thanks for the update.
    1Password X allows you to do whatever you want. No need to copy the password to a text editor - you can edit it right then and there in the generator and add whatever characters you want. Simply click the password itself in the generator and start editing :chuffed:

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

That is what I tried first, but was unable to reveal the password. So I gave up and did what I knew would work. In the future I will try again so see what I have not seen on how to do this.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @break80 ,
    Not sure what you are referring to - when you generate a password it is not masked, it is revealed and you can see it fully.

In any case, we'll be here if you require further assistance.

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Now I'm not sure myself any longer. When 1Password X suggests a password, it is visible alright, but I could not change it there. I think that is what I referred to.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@break80:

If you click on the generated password field before saving it, you can put a cursor there and edit the password right there:

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

@ag_ana and @Yaron,

OK, I see what ya'll have been trying to tell me. In 1PX, I can click the +, then Password Generator, then edit the generated password as necessary, then copy/paste it into the new password fields. Yes, that works for me. Thanks. break80

• On behalf of both Ana and Yaron, you're very welcome, @break80. :smile:

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member

the password generator that you have screen capped there @ag_ana
    DOESNT seem to be what options i have in my PasswordX extension ? (shows v1.19.0)
    thats the options i would like, and that it would SAVE this for all instances i want generated passwords, so when in the quick' autofill menu generation gives that type too etc...

(This seems to be what options i have in android and its autofill/add login generation, just need it in Password X )

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gadget78:

the password generator that you have screen capped there @ag_ana
    DOESNT seem to be what options i have in my PasswordX extension ? (shows v1.19.0)

What do you actually see when you open the password generator in 1Password X?

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member

grabbed a screen shot ...
    these are my options,

and what a generated pass gives me ... !

hope that helps, chrome version is Version 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit) in Windows 7 ...
    cheers ...

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member

didnt seem to add both pics there...
    these are my options ...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gadget78:

You can access the 1Password X password generator by opening and unlocking the 1Password X extension in your browser and clicking on the big "+" button in the top right corner of the window:

The Password Generator entry is the first one in the menu that appears after you click on the "+" button.

The second screenshot you posted shows that you are on the 1Password.com website instead, not inside 1Password X.

The first screenshot instead shows you 1Password X in action, suggesting a strong password for you so you don't have to manually generate one. If you are not happy with the suggested password however, you can create a new one that you like by creating one manually in 1Password X as explained above.

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member

arrr yes, that way does give the same results as yours, so within password x using + menu.. ..

so yes that does mean the screenshot was on 1password.com site,
    took me a bit to realise these are different ways in accessing the vault/data.. shame the on site generator options/settings dont match or cross over too, but not too fussed on this as i can see why, as they are two different systems etc..

but would be great if "1password x in action" within the browser autofill, method would also mirror what we have selected in the passwordx + menu too, giving us them generated passwords

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

@gadget78:

I am glad I could help :) And thank you for the feedback!

shame the on site generator options/settings dont match or cross over too, but not too fussed on this as i can see why, as they are two different systems etc..

Indeed. We imagine most users to use the browser extension or the desktop apps rather than the website itself, so most of the controls are available there :)

but would be great if "1password x in action" within the browser autofill, method would also mirror what we have selected in the passwordx + menu too, giving us them generated passwords

The reason why the two generators behave differently is to make the suggested passwords compatible with as many websites as possible (since a lot of them still have limitations when it comes to password length, allowed characters etc). The suggested password should work in most cases out of the box, and in any other case (or when you want to have full control over the generated password) you an access the full password generator in 1Password X.

• vadimm
    vadimm
    Community Member

I have a solution for the problem "we're afraid of not savvy users who would set weak settings in Suggest Password and forget about it" :) . You may introduce some timeout, after which Suggested Password settings will be defaulted to the recommended state. And of course the ability to disable the timeout should be also added somewhere in 1Password extension page.

Normal user case:
    1) alter Suggest Password to weak settings for sign in to a stupid site
    2) forget about it
    3) 1Password restores default recommended settings after some period of time (timeout)
    4) normal user doesn't notice anything and continues being happy

IT pro user with special needs case:
    1) alter Suggest Password to (not necessarily weak!) settings for some reason
    2) forget about it
    3) 1Password restores default recommended settings after some period of time (timeout)
    4) IT pro user with special needs notices that and disables the timeout

• Thanks for the idea, @vadimm. Hadn't heard that one suggested before. :smile:

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

A quick +1 to the OP. I've used 1Password for almost 10 years (wow!) and this remains a pain point. I'm a multi-platform 1Password user (macOS, Windows, iOS) so it's even more awkward. Glad to see the 1Password team is actively trying to improve this.

There are more mainstream web sites that have legacy password length restrictions than you may realize. I have enough that I tag my short 1Password entries so I can keep track of them. Some you might recognize: Air Canada, ETR 407, Nexus, Porter Airlines, Safeway, Sun Life, Wall Street Journal - all have (last time I checked) length restrictions between 10 and 14 characters.

• Hello @ings

Thank you for being a great user. We understand that some websites might have their own version of security and requirements, and that is why one of the items on our todo list is to teach 1Password X to read and provide correct suggested passwords on websites provide. Please be patient and stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features we offer.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

Thanks @nhat_1P for the reply, one point of clarification: I don't use 1Password X, I use the regular browser plug-ins.

• JBEAN74
    JBEAN74
    Community Member

1password generator in the desktop version was intuitive and convenient. One of the major reasons of having a password program is to be able to EASILY generate strong passwords, including the ablity to customize them on the fly. The 7.+ version is the least convenient option I could ever imagine. Fix this, it currently sucks.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@ings This discussion is about the 1Password X extension, not the desktop app and its companion extension. The password generator in the desktop app is found in the same place it always has been, where you can customize and control the passwords you generate: https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/

@JBEAN74 Can you please be more specific as to where/how you are generating passwords and on which platform/browser/extension are you doing so? What exactly is not convenient and why?

• Stibble
    Stibble
    Community Member

I have changed up from 1P 6 to 7 and taken a Family sub out. I also HATE the inability to find how to change the password length or configuration.

• Hello @Stibble,

You can find the password generator from these locations.

1. Select the 1Password extension icon on your browser's toolbar > Generate password.
    2. Open the 1Password app > Select the plus icon next to the search bar > Password > Select the password generator icon at the end of the password field.
  • Stibble
    Stibble
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

Thanks nhat - I was struggling as I use Brave Browser and couldn't find the extension in the toolbar but have now learned how to pin it as visible. I seem to have installed both 1P extn and 1P X extn (for my Family 1P 7 subscription). Which should i be using ?

• Hello @stibble,

Thank you for your clarification. What you describe is the new feature of all Chromium-based browsers, and I am happy to hear that you found 1Password X and the password generator.

1PasswordX and 1Password 7 are two different products that do the same things in different ways. Some users like 1Password X, while others prefer 1Password 7. For that reason, it is not easy for me to say which one is better, and it is not a bad idea to try them both to see which one suits you most.

• cyxu
    cyxu
    Community Member

I agree with the other folks here who are frustrated with the lack of consistency, customization, and clarity with suggested passwords. I understand 1Password has now made a delineation between the intended purposes of suggested passwords and the password generator, and that suggested passwords take the guesswork out of creating entropic passwords for users who don't mess with their settings much. For more savvy users like those of us posting and commenting here, the password generator is what we are to turn to.

I do find it frustrating that reading all of the posts in this discussion as well as this one is what it took to understand the rationale behind suggested passwords and why it needs to be at all different from the password generator. As a 1Password Personal trial user looking to switch from LastPass, having to dig for this information because I encountered the same confusion and frustration with suggested passwords as many other experienced users makes the adjustment to and learning curve with 1Password a lot steeper for me. Thankfully, I'm the kind of user who is motivated to seek out and contribute to these discussions in the support community, but this still takes a significant amount of work. For every user like me, I know 3 others who would not want to spend their time and energy poring over support community and Reddit threads and would write off 1Password in favor of other password managers because this UX is ultimately too unfriendly or confusing.

Given this, I hope a password generator tooltip can be added as an inline option that is distinct from suggested passwords. I'm surprised inline suggested passwords are still a relatively new feature with 1Password; I had assumed that was a standard offering with password managers. Having to progress through submenus in the extension to autofill a new password has turned out to be pretty cumbersome for me. I also hope the customization options in the password generator can be fleshed out more as others have suggested, as LastPass definitely has more options there.

Thanks!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the valuable feedback @cyxu .
    We're already working on some improvements here.

The first one (that is already available in the beta version) is that you can now set your own default recipe for the suggested passwords. When you're in the generator, you have the ability to set the recipe as a default and it will always suggest new passwords using that recipe while you are visiting websites.

Some other changes that should arrive soon include showing the generator in the popup as soon as you click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser (while you're on a "new password" page/form), which would save a lot of confusion and troubles for users.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

• BenKenobee
    BenKenobee
    Community Member

Chiming in as well. A length-configurable password generator like that in LastPass would be most welcome.

By the way, your discussion forum should include an up-vote facility so that those desiring a particular feature another user has mentioned (or a problem s/he has encountered) can chime in easily. You can say "We don't hear many people requesting that feature" but you might if you made it easier for users to up-vote!

This discussion has been closed.